Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liked it? Hated it? What did you think of this episode?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saber
    I wish they would put a few twists in there though. If so many people are coming back to the past, there has got to be some differences in the future. I was hoping that after Derek said your sister is coming that it would have turned out to be a boy and really shook things up a bit.
    The idea of Terminator 1 though was that of causal looping. That people going back to the past is the very reason for the future, or connected to it. Arnie going back led to Skynet's creation, and Kyle following led to John's (the very event Skynet was trying to alter, they were inadvertently responsible for). What this means is that travelers can't change the past, because they are already a part of it. It doesn't matter when a traveller leaves the future (travels back), as long as they eventually do, they automatically become part of the very history they are trying to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
      ... that travelers can't change the past, because they are already a part of it. It doesn't matter when a traveller leaves the future (travels back), as long as they eventually do, they automatically become part of the very history they are trying to change.
      Somebody's successfully changing tomorrow's yesterday as Judgement Day has been postponed from 1997 in the T1 and T2 movies to 2001 in the T3 movie to what 2012 in the TV series.

Comment

I gave it a 9, it was good, but I didn't like the end. With all the "how did you adapt?" talk it was kind of led up to, but I still don't get why the teenage girl who just found out her and her sister are going to save mankind from genocidal robots thought that running away to fend for herself was a good idea. It seems that the only purpose of that was to keep from adding another regular to the cast.

I know that it is classified as such, but I really don;t see this epi as being a stand alone, it introduced a VERY important bit of information for the "Sarah or Cameron" debate. I'll start a new thread for that.

Comment

Originally posted by baldy46
          Somebody's successfully changing tomorrow's yesterday as Judgement Day has been postponed from 1997 in the T1 and T2 movies to 2001 in the T3 movie to what 2012 in the TV series.
          Right, but that's postponing events, not changing them/preventing them altogether. But still, definitely not consistent with the original movie's setup, where it's just a single clean (and elegant) loop implied. But they had to bend things to continue the story (make more movies, this show, etc). There is no escaping certain events, like Judgment Day, as it is connected to John's existence. I find it interesting that people like Derek and Sarah, and even young John, seem to think they can (I mean they already know John's pop is from the future, and yet they can't even put 2 and 2 together to see the bigger picture of what's going on--time looping--haven't any of them ever watched Star Trek or other sci-fi? lol). In Terminator 3, John didn't learn that lesson (the inescapability of certain events) until Judgment Day finally happened, and he finally saw how everything fit together--with past and future connecting.

(by the way, I'm pretty sure you and I have talked about this before haven't we? we're going in circles, just like Terminator. heh)
          Last edited by Xanderman; 12-09-2008, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry but I didn't see the point of this episode. It was filler. I would have rather had Sarah find out where Cromartie ended up, even Cameron going bad would have been better. There is nothing positive I can say. There was no John, some lame excusse was used to explaine why the family was needing protecting. I'm just glad next week gets back on track.

Comment

I actually quite liked this episode.

I enjoyed last weeks too, last week helped me to get to know Cameron better, how she operates and how she thinks, this week was a Derek-centric episode.

It wasn't the best episode, but compared to the crap we get on TV, this show is extremely good by comparrison.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode for what it was. A stand alone story with a bit of background. Unfortunately the background provided was mainly to do with a character that I feel detracts from the show. In my humble opinion, the sooner Cameron conducts surveillance on Riley (given she is supposed to look for potential security threats to John), and discovers the constantly deceptive Jesse, the better.

I also feel there needs to be some debriefing done. Cameron should be reporting to the family the things that she discovers in her nocturnal investigations. We should also be privy to what damage Cameron has actually sustained. Is she fully functional, or is she operating at less than peak performance? What additional damage did she sustain as a result of this episode?

Still my favourite television program in years.
                Last edited by DetailedFiles; 12-09-2008, 10:27 PM. Reason: more

Comment

I enjoyed it for the most part. I liked the backstory (or is it forestory???) with Derek and Jesse. I liked the continued inference that Derek was depressed and perhaps suicidal before being sent back. I liked the byplay between Sarah and the Bickersons. Thought it was interesting that Cameron and Sarah went to stop the terminator while Derek got the pregnant mother.

I did think the whole plot was heavy handed and I'm sorry but Carlos Jacott just wears me out. He annoyed me on Buffy, on Angel and on Firefly and I have no doubt he'll annoy me on Dollhouse at some point.

While it was a stand alone it did center on one of season 2's main themes: names on the list. Now u may argue that the list is just a set-up for terminator of the week eps but it is a theme. It also established Jesse's character.

Comment

Too much non-relevent stuff going on/made up on the spot. But it was entertaining at least.
                    7/10

Comment

I will give it an 8 out of 10. I really enjoyed this week´s episode! I especially liked the Flashback scenes with Derek. But the BEST part about this episode was that it was a John free episode

Comment

at first i wasn't very happy. but this episode has grown on me. i like it now. i also WANT to like all these episodes, i'm really rooting for this show. still, if it needs a repeated viewing to fully appreciate it, there was something off about the epi in the first place. can't wait for monday, the next one looks ALOT more like what we all want. but then, they take a few weeks off? boo.

Comment

I really liked this episode. As it began I was sort of underwhelmed by what I thought would be a filler episode but... by the end I was VERY happy with it. It was a little abrupt but I loved the way it didn't hold my hand. I had to really pay attention to figure out what was going on.

I like that the episode began and ended with Derek. I loved seeing how Derek and Jesse meet. I've fallen for Jesse a lot more after this episode. It was nice to see a little of Derek's vulnerability and hints that Kyle's disappearance was... maybe an obsession of his.. back in the future. It was nice to see Derek and Jesse back before they were so bitter and jaded. I loved all Jesse's Australian slang and the rabbit analogy. That was chilling. I felt like the show is getting more confident in itself. It flows back and forth in time, the narrative is not linear... or rather it's linear but... the past informs the future informs the past... I'm getting used to it and I like it.

I loved the teen girl who was the main character of the episode. I liked the entire family actually. You can't go wrong with the Sarah/Cameron combination. I was glad to have a break from John and Riley. It was fun trying to narrow things down... which person is the target? I loved how the crisis at first brought out all the pettiness. Dad has a secret job. The teen girl feels that her parents don't know her. Mom is having an affair. But then it goes to the core of who they are. Mom's boyfriend runs away, Dad is ready to sacrifice himself for the family, the teen girl is very tough and smart etc. etc.

I enjoyed the way this story mirrored a lot of past Terminator stories. The dad was sort of like Dyson. The teen girl I thought might have been a lieutenant in the future like the kid at the military school. The mother mirrors Sarah Connor herself of course. Her unborn baby ends up being the target. I loved the way they bounced back between the future story and the present story. Unlike the guy Jesse and Derek tortured, this story has a happy ending where we see the teen girl as a woman, thanking Derek for much more than he knew at the time. Oh I just love it!

I'm a sap.

Comment

One point of clarification for my fellow fans of the show. The 'Australian Slang' used by Jesse in this episode, is from a period in Australian history well before my time (I am 40). Nobody uses "she'll be apples" outside of old periodic stage plays. I get what the writers were trying to do, but unfortunately that sought of slang has long since past.

Love the show, keep it coming (the entertainment not the outdated Aus' slang).
                            Last edited by DetailedFiles; 12-13-2008, 10:42 PM. Reason: clarification.

Comment

I loved it

A lot of people hated this episode, but I loved it. Especially after the snorefest of the last two weeks, especially with Self Made Man. I enjoyed learning more about Derek and Jesse, and I also liked the idea of one person having an immunity that can be made into the cure for everybody. It's a great explanation and showing of the idea of natural selection and evolution. It shows the human's ability to adapt. Anyway, I disagree with a lot of people here, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by DetailedFiles
                                One point of clarification for my fellow fans of the show. The 'Australian Slang' used by Jesse in this episode, is from a period in Australian history well before my time (I am 40). Nobody uses "she'll be apples" outside of old periodic stage plays. I get what the writers were trying to do, but unfortunately that sought of slang has long since past.

Love the show, keep it coming (the entertainment not the outdated Aus' slang).
                                LOL! Weird. Maybe in the future outdated slang becomes novel again?

Now that I think about it, this forms another connection between Riley and Jesse. Riley told John at one point that she was all carrots and apples.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎