Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
    Another 10 from me. This was a fantastic episode; it kept me gripped all the way through and there was never a scene that didn't have me glued to the screen. Even the potentially sappy ending with Stefan and Elena on the Ferris wheel was tempered by the final lines:

"It's not going to get any easier, is it?"
    "...No."

My highlights:
    • Candice Accola really showed off her acting chops. From her initial feeding to her heightened despair, she gave a flawless performance and I really felt for Caroline. I really enjoyed seeing her knock Damon around as well, although she unfortunately delivered the worst line of the episode - "You suck." It was such a big moment, and I thought she could've been given a better punchline.
    • Stefan taking Caroline under his wing and helping her to control her vampiric urges is a really interesting and fresh new dynamic. We've seen how Damon 'helped' Vikki through her transformation, so it'll be cool to watch the good side of that as Stefan helps Caroline.
    • Bonnie's reaction when she realised Caroline had become a vampire. Her reunion with Caroline and Matt last episode showed that they were the last refuge of normalcy for her, and now they've been tainted too. I actually liked her attacking Damon - she wasn't specifically blaming him for Caroline, but just lashing out. Remember that she doesn't know that Damon has a good side like we do. He's been nothing but a source of trouble for her, and I don't blame her for taking out her frustrations on him...even though I do hope she acknowledges at some point that she was partly responsible for Caroline's transformation too.
    • The Lockwood storyline, which I didn't really engage with in the premiere, was much more intriguing this time around. I loved the way it was subtly connected to the Caroline plot through the poor guy that became the supernatural punching bag, and Mason's abilities looked pretty cool. I'm a little disappointed that Stefan didn't try and stop Damon when he manipulated the fight, seeing as that led to Caroline killing the guy when she sensed his blood, but I guess he had no way of knowing that would happen.
    I agree with you!!

And your icon is getting me super excited!

Comment

Originally posted by shanemak
      Yea, you're right. Caroline calming her blood urges in 1 episode is really insane. Steffan counseling her and coaching her about "control" is outright funny, as a handful of episodes ago, he was having problems himself with human blood.
      Yeah, but I think it was easier for Caroline than Stefan because Stefan had been off human blood for so long and had been surpressing those urges for so long. It's like the difference between someone who has taken drugs for the first time and is able to say no the next time and someone who was a serious drug addict relapsing and struggling to get clean again.

While it was incredibly fast, it has to be something vamps learn to control quickly. Otherwise they would kill everyone they saw and get caught pretty quickly.

Originally posted by damonsgrl
      Is it just me or has there been an extraordinary amount of commercials in the past two episodes, especially brave new world?
      Nope, not just you, but that is nothing new for the CW. They tend to show more commercials than other networks, at least it seems that way. I'd guess it has to do with ratings. The shows don't do as well as other shows so they can't sell ad space for as much money which means they have to sell more ad space to make money. So I try not to complain too much. Those ads are keeping the show on the air!!

Comment

[QUOTE=chole_fan;6705924]Yeah, but I think it was easier for Caroline than Stefan because Stefan had been off human blood for so long and had been surpressing those urges for so long. It's like the difference between someone who has taken drugs for the first time and is able to say no the next time and someone who was a serious drug addict relapsing and struggling to get clean again.

While it was incredibly fast, it has to be something vamps learn to control quickly. Otherwise they would kill everyone they saw and get caught pretty quickly.

Not quite you know? In fact, it´s not just a matter of control but, actually, a matter of NEEDS. Vampires need blood to survive just like humans need foof. So when they feed they gat satisfied and there´s no need to keep drinking blood. Stefan just said that last ep when Damon offered him some blood from the bag he was drinking and Stefan sid "No thanks, I´m satisfied"
        So vampires don´t have to control their urges, they need to be fes and satisfied. SO Caroline had had too much blood already when Matt showed up at her bedroom. I really didin´t see the point of showing her still in needs of blood...

Comment

Originally posted by rej@ne
          Originally posted by chole_fan
          Yeah, but I think it was easier for Caroline than Stefan because Stefan had been off human blood for so long and had been surpressing those urges for so long. It's like the difference between someone who has taken drugs for the first time and is able to say no the next time and someone who was a serious drug addict relapsing and struggling to get clean again.

Not quite you know? In fact, it´s not just a matter of control but, actually, a matter of NEEDS. Vampires need blood to survive just like humans need foof. So when they feed they gat satisfied and there´s no need to keep drinking blood. Stefan just said that last ep when Damon offered him some blood from the bag he was drinking and Stefan sid "No thanks, I´m satisfied"
          So vampires don´t have to control their urges, they need to be fes and satisfied. SO Caroline had had too much blood already when Matt showed up at her bedroom. I really didin´t see the point of showing her still in needs of blood...

I think it is a matter of control. Need does play a part, they need to feed for sure. But they also have to learn to control their basic urges. Damon said as much last season when Stefan went off the wagon. He said that "Stefan should have been learning to control it instead of spending the last 100 years surpressing it". Every new vamp has to learn to control those urges and temper themeselves.

Plus we saw Stefan react the same way everytime he got into a hot and heavy situation with Elena...the eyes veining out, etc... To hide his nature from her he had to physically control that. Same thing a was shown a few times with Jeremy and Ana.

So while need plays some part, I think it's more about learning to control their vampire insticts so they don't out themselves.

Comment

I think it is a matter of control. Need does play a part, they need to feed for sure. But they also have to learn to control their basic urges. Damon said as much last season when Stefan went off the wagon. He said that "Stefan should have been learning to control it instead of spending the last 100 years surpressing it". Every new vamp has to learn to control those urges and temper themeselves.

Plus we saw Stefan react the same way everytime he got into a hot and heavy situation with Elena...the eyes veining out, etc... To hide his nature from her he had to physically control that. Same thing a was shown a few times with Jeremy and Ana.

So while need plays some part, I think it's more about learning to control their vampire insticts so they don't out themselves.
            Yea, maybe you´re righy but I still think JUST 1 day wouldn´t be enough to have such a good control as what happened with Carolina.

Comment

Great ep, and great start to the season so far. Liked the line from Damon about the forest animals banding together against Stefan one day.

Found it a little dumb though that Elena would still be protecting Damon. Why didn't she let Bonnie finish off the monster? Not believable at all, especially given that not but one episode ago Elena was feeling total hatred toward Damon for killing Jeremy, whether he knew Jeremy had the ring on or not. If anybody deserves to die it's Damon. And yet both Stefan and Elena continue to be protective of him. Nonsense. Bonnie should torch the whole lot of them if you ask me...heh.

Also found it dumb that "werewolves" don't exist according to Damon/Stefan. Damon mocking the very notion of it seems extremely silly given that vampires and witches (and bears, oh my) are real. These guys have lived a long time. Surely they must know of every supernatural entity under the sun/moon. Or heard of them, from other vamps (or witches. Or, bears? ).
              Last edited by Xanderman; 09-18-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

While I get what you're saying, 1 episode to have her vampiric urges under control seems asinine. It's like the writers' are insulting our intelligence. I mean, even when Anna's face would get all discombobulated when she would get close to Jeremy, she would have to turn away. She didn't take a deep breath and wala! Anna *could control it to a point* But I remember Jer saying, "what's the matter with your face?" Plus when Jer cut himself in the kitchen, Anna stayed away, then finally gave in. Now she was a seasoned vet, and yet, still couldn't totally control her urges, yet we are supposed to buy that in a single day, the novice vampire Caroline was able to? IDK, that pill is a little hard to swallow for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
                  Great ep, and great start to the season so far. Liked the line from Damon about the forest animals banding together against Stefan one day.

Found it a little dumb though that Elena would still be protecting Damon. Why didn't she let Bonnie finish off the monster? Not believable at all, especially given that not but one episode ago Elena was feeling total hatred toward Damon for killing Jeremy, whether he knew Jeremy had the ring on or not. If anybody deserves to die it's Damon. And yet both Stefan and Elena continue to be protective of him. Nonsense. Bonnie should torch the whole lot of them if you ask me...heh.

Also found it dumb that "werewolves" don't exist according to Damon/Stefan. Damon mocking the very notion of it seems extremely silly given that vampires and witches (and bears, oh my) are real. These guys have lived a long time. Surely they must know of every supernatural entity under the sun/moon. Or heard of them, from other vamps (or witches. Or, bears? ).

I totally and completely and wholeheartedly agree with you about the bolded!!!! I just don't get it! But I guess the show would be over if one of the "three" were gone. So I guess Elena's excuse is that he is Stefan's brother and she knows Stefan still loves him...yada yada. I mean HE snapped HER brother's neck in front of her and it's okay? And now apparantly Jeremy's it over as well?

I going to guess that the werewolves are better at laying low and keeping secrets then the vampires.
                  Last edited by Sugar; 09-19-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

While I get what you're saying, 1 episode to have her vampiric urges under control seems asinine. It's like the writers' are insulting our intelligence. I mean, even when Anna's face would get all discombobulated when she would get close to Jeremy, she would have to turn away. She didn't take a deep breath and wala! Anna *could control it to a point* But I remember Jer saying, "what's the matter with your face?" Plus when Jer cut himself in the kitchen, Anna stayed away, then finally gave in. Now she was a seasoned vet, and yet, still couldn't totally control her urges, yet we are supposed to buy that in a single day, the novice vampire Caroline was able to? IDK, that pill is a little hard to swallow for me.
                    Just because Caroline managed to rein it in this time, it doesn't mean she's got full control. I assume there's going to be a continuing storyline with her getting to grips with her transformation and all it entails. As for the Anna comparison, remember that Anna had been living off a human diet for decades, so seeing fresh human blood would have been more of a draw for her than it is for Caroline, who's only feasted twice and who hasn't settled into a routine of drinking human blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
                      Just because Caroline managed to rein it in this time, it doesn't mean she's got full control. I assume there's going to be a continuing storyline with her getting to grips with her transformation and all it entails. As for the Anna comparison, remember that Anna had been living off a human diet for decades, so seeing fresh human blood would have been more of a draw for her than it is for Caroline, who's only feasted twice and who hasn't settled into a routine of drinking human blood.
                      Yea hopefully there will be continuing storyline about Caroline getting with the program of her vampiric way, but I think you are wrong with the Anna thing. That’s like saying the older the vampire gets= the lesser control they’re gonna have, and I think it should be the opposite. Damon has been on human blood this entire time, and he’s not out of control, actually he should be the one counseling Caroline. If you remember in season 1, in the episode Vicki got staked, Elena was bleeding, and Damon’s face didn’t change, he just said that Elena needs to leave ASAP. If he didn’t have control like he does, he wouldn’t be the head of the council.

Caroline drank from a blood bag, then the next minute she said she was hungry and drank from a nurse. That makes zero sense. Routines aren’t really applicable here, as human blood is the only thing that Caroline knows, at this point. When you step back and examine how all the vampires on the show have dealt with their urges, it is like an insult to logic and reason if Caroline could control her urges during her orientation, and Stefan had problems, even after 145 years.

As much as I like the fact that Stefan is chaperoning Caroline, I do think it is Damon’s responsibility to usurp his brother in that department. Stefan showing Caroline how to control her blood urges is like a quadriplegic writing a book about how to be a gymnast. Damon is her maker, they share blood. And I think if Damon guided Caroline, then a lot of Damon haters would change their tunes.

Comment

Yea hopefully there will be continuing storyline about Caroline getting with the program of her vampiric way, but I think you are wrong with the Anna thing. That’s like saying the older the vampire gets= the lesser control they’re gonna have, and I think it should be the opposite. Damon has been on human blood this entire time, and he’s not out of control, actually he should be the one counseling Caroline. If you remember in season 1, in the episode Vicki got staked, Elena was bleeding, and Damon’s face didn’t change, he just said that Elena needs to leave ASAP. If he didn’t have control like he does, he wouldn’t be the head of the council.

Caroline drank from a blood bag, then the next minute she said she was hungry and drank from a nurse. That makes zero sense. Routines aren’t really applicable here, as human blood is the only thing that Caroline knows, at this point. When you step back and examine how all the vampires on the show have dealt with their urges, it is like an insult to logic and reason if Caroline could control her urges during her orientation, and Stefan had problems, even after 145 years.

As much as I like the fact that Stefan is chaperoning Caroline, I do think it is Damon’s responsibility to usurp his brother in that department. Stefan showing Caroline how to control her blood urges is like a quadriplegic writing a book about how to be a gymnast. Damon is her maker, they share blood. And I think if Damon guided Caroline, then a lot of Damon haters would change their tunes.
                        I´m with you!

Comment

Originally posted by rej@ne
                          I´m with you!
                          Thanks rej@ne, but yea, I didn't notice it at first, but since you pointed it out to me, it is ridiculous that Caroline, a newbie, can control her urges in 1 episode.

Comment

I am sure we will see Caroline struggle, I don't think it will be that easy for her all the time. This time was with Matt, someone she genuinely cares about. She had a powerful motivator to keep it under control with him. Had it been some total stranger I am not sure she would have been so succesful.

As for Stefan, I thought Damon made it pretty clear that the reason he was having such trouble controling himself on human blood was because he had abstained for so long. He said drinking human blood is normal for a vamp and what Stefan had been doing was not natural. So when he drank again, the urge was much, much stronger than before because it had been so long since he had tasted it. So the urge for Stefan would have been much more powerful that for a newly formed vamp. I agree that as vamps get older they should have more control, but that only applies to vamps who have actually been drinking human blood all along. It makes total sense to me that a vamp like Stefan, who drank human blood after being off it for so long, would struggle badly to regain control over his urges.

Comment

I am sure we will see Caroline struggle, I don't think it will be that easy for her all the time. This time was with Matt, someone she genuinely cares about. She had a powerful motivator to keep it under control with him. Had it been some total stranger I am not sure she would have been so succesful.
                              Ok, but Anna also had a powerful motivator and cared for Jeremy, and she still went overboard?

It makes total sense to me that a vamp like Stefan, who drank human blood after being off it for so long, would struggle badly to regain control over his urges.
                              Alright, so by saying that I take it you're also in the camp that thinks it's incredibly hypocritical for Stefan to be counseling Caroline about blood lust.
                              Last edited by shanemak; 09-19-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Ok, but Anna also had a powerful motivator and cared for Jeremy, and she still went overboard?

Alright, so by saying that I take it you're also in the camp that thinks it's incredibly hypocritical for Stefan to be counseling Caroline about blood lust.
                                Yeah, actually that I do agree with. Damon should be counceling Caroline right now. Unless Caroline decides to pursue the Stefan diet. But for now, I think Damon would be the better mentor.

I do get where you are coming from with the Anna thing. I am not saying that Caroline didn't learn very quickly, maybe too quickly, but I just don't think it's as crazy as it seems that she could get herself under control. I don't think her reaction to Matt had anything to do with "blood lust". I think it was just pure, old fashioned lust. I didn't take that scene to mean that she stopped herself from feeding on him, just that she got her eye's under control before he could see it. I don't find that too implausible.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎