Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's everyone's top comic book based movies?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Degobunny
    I love Watchmen. The flashbacks were awesome, especially the starting sequence with the music and going through the different decades.
    I originally liked the opening credits until the scene where Rorschach is monologuing on his way to see Dr. Manhattan and reiterates what we saw in that sequence (Dollar Bill got his cape caught in a revolving door... [the lesbian superhero] murdered in a pool of her own decadence... etc.). That's just repetitive. And the opening scene drags for far too long and ruins the mystery element (like you can't tell that's not Adrien...). I was open to the idea of adapting the book into a movie, but Snyder really didn't have time to indulge in things like that. It would have been much better to start the movie the same place it starts in the book and save the ten or so minutes that preceded it for later.

Plus the ending completely butchers what Alan Moore originally had in mind and makes Bubastis' inclusion make no sense. It won't show up on my "Worst Comic Book Movie" list, but Watchmen isn't going to go anywhere near the top ten greatest comic book movies.

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
      I originally liked the opening credits until the scene where Rorschach is monologuing on his way to see Dr. Manhattan and reiterates what we saw in that sequence (Dollar Bill got his cape caught in a revolving door... [the lesbian superhero] murdered in a pool of her own decadence... etc.). That's just repetitive. And the opening scene drags for far too long and ruins the mystery element (like you can't tell that's not Adrien...). I was open to the idea of adapting the book into a movie, but Snyder really didn't have time to indulge in things like that. It would have been much better to start the movie the same place it starts in the book and save the ten or so minutes that preceded it for later.

Plus the ending completely butchers what Alan Moore originally had in mind and makes Bubastis' inclusion make no sense. It won't show up on my "Worst Comic Book Movie" list, but Watchmen isn't going to go anywhere near the top ten greatest comic book movies.
      As far as Alan Moore is concerned he hates every movie based on a comic he did.

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Theshadow129x
      but the thing is that you did dis respect heath.

you said

that is disrespectful and tasteless. and just so you know he wasnt depressed because of his role or the movie he was depressed because he hadnt gotten sleep since before the movei started. he loved his role and the people he worked with he stated it himself. heck after production was wrapped up he said he was excited to come back again. mind your words before you say things like you did.
      His reason's for depression are debateable, no one can 100% sure because Ledger is dead. And the reason for the movie not being in my top ten goes beyond anything to do with Heath Ledger. I am not trying to be distasteful, I am just trying to convey why TDK was not one of my top comicbook films.
      Last edited by Degobunny; 08-28-2009, 05:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Alan Moore has hated every movie done by his works because everyone has butchered it. The closest movies were V for Vendetta and Watchmen. I liked Vendetta, but in the end it complelty changed what the book was about and was more concerned in making a terrorist look like a hero, while the book IMO had the audience make up it's own mind. There's so much wrong with Watchmen for me, but for a film which spent too much time trying to be a faithful adaptation, I'm still a little shocked they got the ending totally wrong. It wasn't horrible, wasn't good, and I got the feeling that Synder was concerned more about making a faithful adaptation for the fans then an enjoyable film. I think if I hadn't read the book before, I would've been lost or uninterested early on.

Comment

True, but Watchmen was the closest visually anyone had gotten to adapting the story, and that raised a lot of fans' hopes (yours truly included). Zack Snyder, apparently, liked the pretty pictures but missed the point of the original story. He probably also saw how violent it was and decided he could could add even more violence for the sake of it, because, "Well the fans complained I toned 300 down, so I'll make this one even bloodier!"

The result is a movie that I'd be unpleased with if I'd written the story.
          I am not trying to be distasteful, I am just trying to convey why TDK was not one of top comicbook films.
          I'm not going to make a big deal about it, but the comment in question you made was kind of distasteful, considering that Heath did die months after production on The Dark Knight had been wrapped and it was an accidental combination of prescription drugs, not a drug overdose (which in itself sounds like he snorted too much cocaine or something).

I get that you're saying the morbidness of the situation probably makes The Dark Knight uncomfortable for you to watch, but IMO that doesn't detract from the quality of the film. It's a damn fine film, and your argument for it being not one of the top comic book films is that an actor and a stunt man died before it was released, which is kind of silly.

I still say that the tone of Watchmen is much, much darker. Rorschach sliced a man's head open then died, millions of Manhattan citizens were killed, and the bad guy was one of the good guys (remember, the story was printed before that plot device was in vogue). And darkest of all, Snyder really didn't understand the book fully.

Comment

I just want to ask why it is everyone here likes the X-men movies so much? The movies were more aqbout Wolverine than it was anyone else and didnt do a good job at characterizing anyone else in the entire series. I personally can't stand any of them....well x-2 was pretty good but still the x-men movies werent good to me.

Comment

I just want to ask why it is everyone here likes the X-men movies so much? The movies were more aqbout Wolverine than it was anyone else and didnt do a good job at characterizing anyone else in the entire series. I personally can't stand any of them....well x-2 was pretty good but still the x-men movies werent good to me.
              I thought they did a good job with Prof. X until he died in the 3rd which few are claiming as a favorite. Maybe the first 2 are so popular because they did do a good job with Wolverine, and for alot of x-men fans that is really important.
              I also like how the portrayed Rogue (I know not everyone will agree here), Nightcrawler, Magneto, Iceman(minus the third film), and Mystique (her new look grew on me).

----- Added 19 Minutes later -----

I'm not going to make a big deal about it, but the comment in question you made was kind of distasteful, considering that Heath did die months after production on The Dark Knight had been wrapped and it was an accidental combination of prescription drugs, not a drug overdose (which in itself sounds like he snorted too much cocaine or something).

I get that you're saying the morbidness of the situation probably makes The Dark Knight uncomfortable for you to watch, but IMO that doesn't detract from the quality of the film. It's a damn fine film, and your argument for it being not one of the top comic book films is that an actor and a stunt man died before it was released, which is kind of silly.

I still say that the tone of Watchmen is much, much darker. Rorschach sliced a man's head open then died, millions of Manhattan citizens were killed, and the bad guy was one of the good guys (remember, the story was printed before that plot device was in vogue). And darkest of all, Snyder really didn't understand the book fully.
              In terms of quality yes TDK was great and it would be on my top 20 comic films.
              But for me TDK is not one of the films that I would watch over and over again. That and I felt that Batman was downplayed in the movie.
              As for Watchmen, while it was a dark film, is was what I was expecting. Maybe that is why TDK was darker and more depressing for me?
              Last edited by Degobunny; 08-28-2009, 06:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I agree, but I liked the third one. I loved Kelsey Grammer as Beast, getting a peak at the Sentinels, everyone's costumes, Iceman actually going into his ice form, getting to hear, "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!" etc. But I also don't like how Wolverine is the main character in all three films.

When I heard Wolverine was getting a spin-off, the first thing I thought was, "Why not give the X-Men a spin-off?"

Comment

well the problem i have ever had with the x-men movies is that it seemed like Singer liked only a few characters while downplaying the most important ones in the first and second films. The third film was just...wrong to me.

I hated the cheap shot that we got of the sentinal. and the phoenix thing was just done terribly.

in all the movies we got Cyclopes who practically did nothing in all the movies. HE'S THE FREAKING LEADER OF THE TEAM. He has surpassed prof.x as leader and there are great reasons why. Storm did nothing too but fall in love with Nightcrawler. Everything in the movies were just...terrible. ugh

I wished for a reboot but people really seem to like that crap. I didnt go see Wolverine because over the years I have grown to literally hate him as a character. so when they said they were doing a spinoff i was already mad because the first 3 xmen movies were all about him.

----- Added 11 Minutes later -----

In terms of quality yes TDK was great and it would be on my top 20 comic films.
                  But for me TDK is not one of the films that I would watch over and over again. That and I felt that Batman was downplayed in the movie.
                  As for Watchmen, while it was a dark film, is was what I was expecting. Maybe that is why TDK was darker and more depressing for me?
                  I dont think Batman was downplayed but it is a subject of opinion. They merely scaled back from showing him so much because he got closure for himself in batman begins. nothing else needed to be pursued.

The Dark Knight was more of a movie about Gotham and what his crimefighting had done to the city. It was getting worse before it got better and things were escalating which is why the mob turned to the Joker, something they wouldn't have done if they werent desperate. Also it was all about the fall of Harvey Dent. He was making such a huge difference in Gotham city as well thanks to batman but Harvey lost everything and this became a man easily corrupted through loss and desperation.

For me the ending to the movie was a sign that not everything a superhero does is regarded as good even though they are doing good. but i also viewed the ending as something that is uplifting and shows why we need heroes in an easily corrupted society. Batman would rather be viewed as the badguy instead of let the city fall back into darkness like it was before even though he knows what he is doing is good and make a change in the city his parents loved.
                  Last edited by Theshadow129x; 08-28-2009, 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The third film was just...wrong to me.
                    Yeah, I hear that a lot. Honestly, the only X-Men knowledge I have comes from the cartoons (I don't read Marvel Comics) and whatever other people tell me. I've heard about the Dark Phoenix saga and I don't think fans were ever going to get that. The series established the X-Men as more rooted in reality, so I doubt there were ever plans to ship them into space and have Jean Grey blow up a galaxy. Also, the ending in X2 heavily suggested the Phoenix was born at the bottom of the lake, so I was surprised to see Ratner get all the blame of the Phoenix storyline.

As for reboots, I've seen that suggestion for Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and Ghost Rider (and I desperately want one for Superman). I desperately hope they don't do it. Just because Batman and James Bond had successful reboots, doesn't mean every franchise should get one right after a bad movie. Hopefully, Marvel understands that (Punisher: War Zone bombed miserably and Incredible Hulk scraped just a million or two dollars more than the original) and doesn't give in to fan demands. Just hire better writers and directors and keep going. I think Marvel is getting dangerously close to oversaturating the superhero genre and I think they'll just do that if they start every franchise over and mud the theaters with new continuities and movies that have nothing to do with the other.

Comment

The first X-men was one of the first superhero movies in along time to try and do a realistic superhero film. But it suffered from too much exposition needed. More then half of the film is explaining the world and the teams. X-2 was a good superhero film and remains in my top 10, probably will for along time. The opening scene with Nightcrawler still holds up. X3 had so much potential but just never capitalized on it. Not to mention Fox turned down the original script which apparently was very different from what they ended up with.

Comment

Yeah, I hear that a lot. Honestly, the only X-Men knowledge I have comes from the cartoons (I don't read Marvel Comics) and whatever other people tell me. I've heard about the Dark Phoenix saga and I don't think fans were ever going to get that. The series established the X-Men as more rooted in reality, so I doubt there were ever plans to ship them into space and have Jean Grey blow up a galaxy. Also, the ending in X2 heavily suggested the Phoenix was born at the bottom of the lake, so I was surprised to see Ratner get all the blame of the Phoenix storyline.
                        Actually the original intention was the Dark Phoenix saga. Fox did not want them to do that though. And after Singer left the project for 'Superman Returns' they went with a muntant cure storyline instead. Halle Berry probably had something to do with it to, considering she wanted a larger role and would not gotten that in the Dark Phoenix storyline. In the end I do not blaim Ratner, he was doing the best he could. I blaim Singer but to a larger extent Fox, Singer for leaving and taking Marsden with him, and Fox for killing the Dark Phoenix storyline.

----- Added 17 Minutes later -----

As for reboots, I've seen that suggestion for Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and Ghost Rider (and I desperately want one for Superman). I desperately hope they don't do it. Just because Batman and James Bond had successful reboots, doesn't mean every franchise should get one right after a bad movie. Hopefully, Marvel understands that (Punisher: War Zone bombed miserably and Incredible Hulk scraped just a million or two dollars more than the original) and doesn't give in to fan demands. Just hire better writers and directors and keep going. I think Marvel is getting dangerously close to oversaturating the superhero genre and I think they'll just do that if they start every franchise over and mud the theaters with new continuities and movies that have nothing to do with the other.
                        I do not think that Marvel is over saturating the Superhero market. In fact, unlike DC films, they are putting at least some of the movies (with differnt heroes) in the same universe. And they have one guy who shows up in most the movies tying them all together (thank you Stan Lee).

I do not think that there are going to be any reboots anytime soon. For one thing they are not planning any at the moment. 'The Incredible Hulk' was a good reboot and i seriously doubt will get another considering Edward Nortan is showing up in more Marvel films.. I can not speak for the Punisher films becuase I have not seen those ones yet. I think Marvel is smart enough to not go the reboot route and will continue with what they are doing.
                        Last edited by Degobunny; 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If anyone is over doing it,it's not Marvel Studios. For one, I was impressed with Iron Man, and the Hulk remake was much better then the Ang Lee one. But if anyone is overdoing it, it's Sony. They're planning 3 more Spider-Man films. On top of that, they're not even sure if Toby Maguire and Sam Rami will be back after the 4th so if that is the case they're planning 5 & 6 to be reboots.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabularasa
                            If anyone is over doing it,it's not Marvel Studios. For one, I was impressed with Iron Man, and the Hulk remake was much better then the Ang Lee one. But if anyone is overdoing it, it's Sony. They're planning 3 more Spider-Man films. On top of that, they're not even sure if Toby Maguire and Sam Rami will be back after the 4th so if that is the case they're planning 5 & 6 to be reboots.
                            While that to a degree is true about Sony, Sam Raimi and Tobey are going to be there for #5. For what I understand 4 and 5 are back to back filming (this is a fairly old rumor though). And at that rate it would stupid not to a 6th movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabularasa
                              Just because Toby Maguire and Sam Raimi don't return, doesn't mean it's a reboot. A reboot couldn't be called Spider-Man 5.

I think all Sony Columbia, Marvel, and 20th Century Fox needs to do is bring in a new creative team when the old one gets tired. Ang Lee's Hulk didn't succeed, but I personally didn't think anything was gained by making The Incredible Hulk a reboot. They could have recast everyone like they did, included Abomination, and explored Bruce Banner's desire to find a cure, without explicitly stating that the movie had no connection to Ang Lee's Hulk, and gotten roughly the same movie (though I'm one of the people that find Hulk one of the most boring characters in the world, so I don't have the same perspective as fans do).

All the franchises rumored to be receiving reboots (FF, DD, X-Men) don't really need them. They don't need a credits sequence that shows the origin again JUST for the sake of establishing a new continuity. They just need to make a good movie. And the reason I bring all this up is because I'm just trying to make a point that if every series the fans want to be rebooted were, the market WOULD be oversaturated.

Comment

I agree too many reboots would be overdoing it. It's what's happening in Hollywood. Every time I look around there's a re-make coming out. Every horror film from the 80's are being re-made. I think Hulk was re-made because Marvel Studios were so upset with what Lee did with the original movie. Plus, Marvel is doing all these movies to make the continuity for Avengers.

I doubt X-Men or Fantastic Four will get reboots. Fox seems to want to do these origin films, and I just don't see there being that big of a demand for Fantastic Four. I could see them rebooting Daredevil. I never saw that film, but I heard the majority hated it. If they were going to go the Chris Nolan way and reboot it, make it darker and more serious, then I could see that.

I think the problem that's going to happen is were gonna get all the major comic book superhero movies and they're gonna go up to a point and then they'll probably start rebooting them. It is a shame, but that's what Hollywood is doing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎