No announcement yet.

Do you like Lana?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

of coarse i love lana
    she to has been through the most change besides lex.
    does not matter if you like the changes or not. Lana grew as a person and you can't really knock her down for that because nobody stays the same and people change for better or worse but its still change and lana developed

Comment

Not really. I can't stand her.

My reasons why:

1) Instinctive. Before I rented Smallville on DVD. I had kind of seen those promo shots for the show on the WB but never a full episode. I saw KK on tv with TW for like 10 seconds or whatever just looking into the camera (you know when they say "On right now: Smallville" or something like that) My instinctive reaction...right off the bat, I thought to myself "I sure hope that girl is not supposed to be Clark's love interest..."

The only reason Lana exists on the show, the only purpose she has ever had is for Clana, so that seguays into my second reason why I don't like Lana....

2) The writers forced the relationship down my throat. Or so that is how I perceived it. Unfortunately, in watching the very first episode, I discovered that she was going to be his love interest. That, apparently they were, in love (from afar) and I was supposed to just accept this because the show told me so. Clark had supposedly loved her since he was a boy...but my initial question was why? I hated it that the show wanted me to root for this couple but they never gave me any reason to FEEL like they REALLY loved one another. No build up or development INTO love. Just.."ok these two love each other"...they belong together forever! Why were they so deeply in love? How did this come about? I was just supposed to accept that this was the main relationship of the show, and agree with it. Ummm, I don't think so. I just couldn't stand the "predictability" of Clana. I always enjoy the hidden relationships, ones that grow while your not even realizing it, they are so much more unique.

3) The relationship was exhausting to watch because it was the main source of angst in the show. The more the TPTB pushed angsty Clana at me the more I RESENTED the relationship. And unfortunately Lana became the scapegoat for all of my irritation. It's not like Clark was a paragon character, but it's hard to blame the main character, especially who is the main focus of the show. So I resented Lana....and it has just continued to get worse and worse. (because the writers refused to let up.)

4) I don't like Lana Lang, the character. KK is not the best actress on the show...not by a long shot, so that played into how much I liked Lana. But obviously, more than anything, it was how she was written. The character is a mess. One week she's "the victim". The next episode she's "take charge of my own fate" girl. Then she's back to whining (about whoever she's dating at the time) and pitying herself. She's the "girl next store" but then next season she's the "woman of mystery". She is a young woman who can barely handle managing a coffee store and then the next thing you know she's got a secret spy company and she's faking her own death. It's just so unrealistic and annoying to watch.

This one is probably the one that irritates me the most...

5) I hate how Clark acts BECAUSE of Lana. Granted, I get that it's the writers fault but, well...then it's their fault for making me hate Lana. I really have not been too happy with Clark's development on SV, it was sloppy and not paced very well, and most of the time Clark's decisions have been made through the haze of Clana. Lana Langs presence in Smallville has held Clarks progression back. He has always used his "love for her" as an excuse. And while that may be Clark's own fault, I can't very well wish his character were off the show, so that feeling slides over to Lana.

Basically from the pilot episode I have rebelled against Lana Lang's character and existance in Smallville in general. I guess it does mostly come down to Clana....I did not want her to be with Clark since the very beginning!! I used to cringe and sometimes turn away when they would have those stupid "barn Clana scenes" at the end of EVERY episode in S1. Ugh! She was both boring and annoying at the same time all throughout the series.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetOne
        Not really. I can't stand her.

My reasons why:

1) Instinctive. Before I rented Smallville on DVD. I had kind of seen those promo shots for the show on the WB but never a full episode. I saw KK on tv with TW for like 10 seconds or whatever just looking into the camera (you know when they say "On right now: Smallville" or something like that) My instinctive reaction...right off the bat, I thought to myself "I sure hope that girl is not supposed to be Clark's love interest..."

The only reason Lana exists on the show, the only purpose she has ever had is for Clana, so that seguays into my second reason why I don't like Lana....

2) The writers forced the relationship down my throat. Or so that is how I perceived it. Unfortunately, in watching the very first episode, I discovered that she was going to be his love interest. That, apparently they were, in love (from afar) and I was supposed to just accept this because the show told me so. Clark had supposedly loved her since he was a boy...but my initial question was why? I hated it that the show wanted me to root for this couple but they never gave me any reason to FEEL like they REALLY loved one another. No build up or development INTO love. Just.."ok these two love each other"...they belong together forever! Why were they so deeply in love? How did this come about? I was just supposed to accept that this was the main relationship of the show, and agree with it. Ummm, I don't think so. I just couldn't stand the "predictability" of Clana. I always enjoy the hidden relationships, ones that grow while your not even realizing it, they are so much more unique.

3) The relationship was exhausting to watch because it was the main source of angst in the show. The more the TPTB pushed angsty Clana at me the more I RESENTED the relationship. And unfortunately Lana became the scapegoat for all of my irritation. It's not like Clark was a paragon character, but it's hard to blame the main character, especially who is the main focus of the show. So I resented Lana....and it has just continued to get worse and worse. (because the writers refused to let up.)

4) I don't like Lana Lang, the character. KK is not the best actress on the show...not by a long shot, so that played into how much I liked Lana. But obviously, more than anything, it was how she was written. The character is a mess. One week she's "the victim". The next episode she's "take charge of my own fate" girl. Then she's back to whining (about whoever she's dating at the time) and pitying herself. She's the "girl next store" but then next season she's the "woman of mystery". She is a young woman who can barely handle managing a coffee store and then the next thing you know she's got a secret spy company and she's faking her own death. It's just so unrealistic and annoying to watch.

This one is probably the one that irritates me the most...

5) I hate how Clark acts BECAUSE of Lana. Granted, I get that it's the writers fault but, well...then it's their fault for making me hate Lana. I really have not been too happy with Clark's development on SV, it was sloppy and not paced very well, and most of the time Clark's decisions have been made through the haze of Clana. Lana Langs presence in Smallville has held Clarks progression back. He has always used his "love for her" as an excuse. And while that may be Clark's own fault, I can't very well wish his character were off the show, so that feeling slides over to Lana.

Basically from the pilot episode I have rebelled against Lana Lang's character and existance in Smallville in general. I guess it does mostly come down to Clana....I did not want her to be with Clark since the very beginning!! I used to cringe and sometimes turn away when they would have those stupid "barn Clana scenes" at the end of EVERY episode in S1. Ugh! She was both boring and annoying at the same time all throughout the series.
        Funny, I felt the COMPLETE opposite of all ur points...this quote of urs is rather long so I'll be more specific at a later date.

Comment

I try and try and try not to roll my eyes every time she comes on screen...but I cant.

I dont hate her..i just think she is the most boring character to ever be on Smallville..every time she comes on screen you just know more likely than not she's going to start moaning, or start crying, or start giving us an emotional overload...oh and of course..talk about herself and how everything effects her..

Woe is me and all that

dont keep secrets from me

you're lying to me, how could you lie to me

you know I thought I would do this with clark but not with lex,

"me me me me me me me me me...and did i forget to say ME??"

get over yourself you ticking time bomb of teenage angst!

this show is called Smallville not Lanaville. And i wish the writers would finally think about developing clark rather than lana..who BTW has nothing to do with him when he becomes superman so what on earth is her overall importance t the end of the story? They're developing her for what exactly?

EDIT - and SweetOne, i agree with you 100%!
          Last edited by DontCha; 07-01-2008, 05:07 PM.

Comment

SweetOne i disagree with you 100%. But then you've been a hater since the beginning so i'm not even gonna bother arguing. I currently cant stand Lois and Chloe, so its been an downward spiral rather than hating a character without even knowing it, cos that's just ridiculous.

Oh and her importance was that she was his love when he was younger. So she's important NOW, not when Clark becomes or is Superman, that's not what Smallville's about. Lana is the 2nd most important character in the series so get over it. And I'd say she's the most underdeveloped character in the whole series. The writers seem more interested in developing Chloe the saint, who doesnt even exist in Superman, than the female leader of the show.
            Last edited by skizzo; 07-01-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

but this show has to move on and develop towards him being Superman despite it being about his early years, its what people expect and its what people were mainly drawn to in the first place IMO..and him constanty, constantly going back to lana witholds it over and over again, especially in season 7.... and it can get frustrating to those who want to see him start to become superman, as long as lana is there with himas a partner he will always be stuck in the past never moving on and he will never become superman if he's still with Lana Lang. But if she's not his partnet, she becomes irrelivant and so they HAVE to keep putting her with him, its a vicious cycle.

Skizzo..to me chloe hasn't been developed that much..the people who have are Lex, lana and Lois Lane.
              Last edited by DontCha; 07-01-2008, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Lana is my least favorite character, but I don't hate her and I don't understand the bashing that her character goes through.

The problems with Lana is that TPTB have had no clue what to do with her. They didn't know what kind of story to give her. That's just sad. She's always on the cusp of something interesting, only to reduce her back to Love Interest.

Great Potential Lana Arcs (that never reached their full potential)

**Lana decides she won't be seen as just a cheerleader and expands her interests. I liked that. It was a way of breaking Lana out of the mold. Too bad it never went very far.

**The whole Lana searches for her real father. She met Henry Small and then they quickyl wrote that story out.

**Lana going to Paris to find herself. This could have been fantastic. Then it became witches.

**Lana investigating aliens. Her parents were killed in a metoer shower. She thinks aliens came down in the second meteor shower. Shouldn't this have been an awesome story for her?

**Lana trying to protect/understand CLark (s6). I liked Lana trying to puzzle together just who and what Clark was, but at the same time protecting him. I *really* liked that about Lana and then they sort of dropped the ball a bit in S7 with this.

Overall, I think it would have been fascinating for Lana to struggle and come to terms with Clark being an alien and being in the meteor shower that killed her parents. To have her struggle before finally accepting it would have given her character more depth.

It's too bad. She had so much potential. But I did like her a lot more in S7 knowing the secret, despite a few flubs along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                  when i was a Lana hater, it was because she was dull, it was all about how pretty she was and how sweet she was, she had no sense of fun or humour, she never took any risks, she was self pitying, whining, annoyed when she didn't get her own way, a little spoilt, manipulative, selfish, closed minded, wimpy, and always wore pink

i dont hate her anymore, because since being close to Lex, a lot of that just isn't true anymore. she's not dull, she's not just about being pretty and sweet, she takes risks, she doesn't wallow in pity (even though she has way more reason too now), she doesn't whine, just tells it how it is, is much more open minded, not wimpy, and rarely wears pink

it was never about jelousy or who he was meant to be with for me
                  First let me say I'm not a Lana hater, I just think her relationship with Clark was carried on way too long, with very little change in the dynamic between the two. It's made for some frustrating watching over the years. I wish the options in the poll weren't so black and white.

I have to disagree with some of the first paragraph of your post, Hopeful. I think Lana took plenty of risks, i.e., staying in Smallville alone after Nell left, and getting the Talon up and running, even if it was with Lex's help. Yes, I know she roomed with Chloe for a while, but still, she was in high school then, I don't know too many teens who would, or could, do something like that. I think she was entitled to some self-pity and whining, just not seven seasons' worth. And the pink was tiresome.

I really don't think she changed that much after getting together with Lex. There was just a harder edge to her behavior. She was dull in that she still mooned over Clark, in spite of the fact that she was marrying his opposite, and knew what Lex was like. That certainly was manipulative.

I've opted not to vote in the poll because the options aren't right for me. I don't hate or love Lana; she was an interesting character whose development stagnated over seven years time. If she is to continue, I hope TPTB wise up and give her something interesting to do besides long for Clark.

Comment

I wonder why people hate Lana and not the person who has made her what she is, i.e., Clark, with all his lying and with his inability to really love her. Even Bizarro was more affectionate and loving to Lana than Clark.

Lex always understood this well.

I will always resent that the writers and producers of Smallville were so incapable of creating a true relationship between the most beautiful couple that has ever been in a television series, Lana and Clark. I will forever love the magic of seeing them together.

But anyway, we know that adult Clark is an insecure and shy anti-hero, the opposite of Superman. He isn't worthy of Lana's love, let alone after hurting her so deeply and so many times throughout the years.

Comment

I used to, but then she started getting evil after what the Luthors did to her and started lying to Clark. You've been after her for Cyears Clark its time to move on to Lois methinks.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about Lana. I think I probably liked her most in Season 4 and 5. But there are times, especially in Season 6 and Season 7 where she just rubs me the wrong way. It's hard to explain.

Comment

i love lana

Comment

I liked Lana only when Lexana came about, but the writers didn't do the relationship justice. They kept having her go back to Clark, which was stupid. Clana is the worst thing about Smallville, it sucks all the life and interest out of the show.

But I don't hate Lana, I think the hatred of her is ridiculous, and a lot of it is just jealous bitter Chloe fans.
                            Last edited by redRound; 07-08-2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Love her but love kk more!!!

Comment

I always loved her and I always will no matter what happends... sound's familliar right?
                                but it's true you know... I always do because she speaks her mind out, she stays true to herself, trys to be honest with Clark and doesn't hide the way she feels

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎