Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Lex's Defense - Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting posts folks! I forgot about my thread. lol In my opinion, Lex isn't a complete sociopath because he seems to have felt guilt at killing Lionel - as manifested by his visions of himself as a child - if anything he is an "aspiring sociopath" - and nearly there. lol I also think he felt a bit of grief for Lionel. Lionel however, was a sociopath and always used people without regard for their feelings or well-being. Even when he was working to defend Clark he had no real moral boundaries (he blackmailed Lana, put Clark in a cage of Kryptonite for example). I will admit that Lex has shown sociopathic traits in his dealings with the 33.1 patients/prisoners.

I don't think Lex killed Lionel for the key - he did it because his father lied to him again and was overwhelmed with anger and felt betrayed because he wanted the truth as proof of Lionel's love for him (in my opinion). Lex had tears welling in his eyes so how that showed an emotional motive and not an objective detached one. I think it was an act of impulse and not premeditated murder. And he couldn't control his impulses because of his brain trauma and metal disorders.

Comment

Originally posted by FotW
      I don't think Lex killed Lionel for the key - he did it because his father lied to him again and was overwhelmed with anger and felt betrayed because he wanted the truth as proof of Lionel's love for him (in my opinion). Lex had tears welling in his eyes so how that showed an emotional motive and not an objective detached one. I think it was an act of impulse and not premeditated murder. And he couldn't control his impulses because of his brain trauma and metal disorders.
      Not being able to control your impulses, is not insanity. Lex, in the American judicial system, with an actual impartial trial, would come out guilty, and that's it. He can control his impulses, because he does it all the time. He's a sociopath. Though he felt some emotion, he fits pretty well into the sociopathic category. He lacks a social conscious, and any morals regarding the rights of others. Even snappiong and killing his father in a moment of passion, wasn't about him not getting love. It was about him being in control, and not having to deal with Lionel's games anymore. The game must be played on Lex's rules, or he simply changes the game, because he can't play in any other way.

Comment

Sorry, I was tired when I posted that. I meant to quote and respond to HopefulSuicide there (the post saying Lex had planned Lionel's murder) and which is why I was mentioning that Lex was in mental anguish and had not coolly calculated Lionel's murder. My original argument was in the first post.
        And I wasn't saying Lex is not guilty at all. Yes, he did push Lionel - I was saying he's not guilty by reason of insanity which is different. And there is also the idea of "irresistible impulse" if you're interested in reading the page on Wikipedia on the insanity defense so I am not the first to raise the argument that being unable to control your impulses in a given situation is a form of temporary insanity.
        I think in an actual trial all the defense would need is to instill reasonable doubt in a few jurors who would be impartial and also not know anything about Lex or his so-called "destiny" to be "evil."
        And that being said, I think I've defended Lex enough - unless he hires me as his lawyer.

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
        Not being able to control your impulses, is not insanity. Lex, in the American judicial system, with an actual impartial trial, would come out guilty, and that's it.
        Last edited by FotW; 04-27-2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I thing Lex's lawyer could mount a successful insanity defense. He has a history of "mental breaks." He suffered many major traumas, both as a child and as an adult. He's spent time in Belle Reve. Heck, he was shot in the head just a few months back. (And it's been proven that such head injuries can drastically affect a person's behavior and mental state.)

Now, whether Lex would agree to an insanity defense is another story. A lot of defendants, guilty and innocent, won't. Even if it would get them off, the thought of being considered insane for the rest of their lives doesn't sit well with them.

On the other hand, I could very well see Lex's attorney's using the "put the victim on trial" technique. And, with Lionel, it wouldn't be difficult. All they'd have to do is drag out all of Lionel's dirty dealings. Bring up his own murder conviction. (For which he magically got off somehow, which I bet a lot of the jurors would be ticked off by.) Bring in his long-time abuse of Lex. Bring up the whole brain-frying incident. Find some of Lionel's former minions who'd be willing to testify to some of the despicable things Lionel did to his son. (Hey, who's to say they'd keep their mouths shut with Lionel dead.) I bet some of the servants saw and heard some stuff, too.

They just might be able to convince a jury that either Lionel pushed Lex into doing what he did, or that Lionel was a horrible person who deserved what he got.

In any case, it would certainly be a very sensational trial.
          Last edited by Dannyblue1; 04-27-2008, 11:06 PM.

Comment

i think hes insane and guilty

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎