Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's supposed to be his worst nightmare... seemed like a walk in the park!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radioflyer
    His restraint was most impressive. More like Superman than ever before. His turning his back on Lionel I think hurt him more than if Clark had slapped him around the room a bit.
    Exactly. He's showing that he's growing up and maturing - I would've actually been quite annoyed if he'd had a hissy fit at Lionel or in the cage. Not only would it have degraded the character, it would have sent him back several steps and snapped the audience away from the sense of suspense and mystery of the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by LexLuv180
      Yet again we agree with each other! I like how he portrayed anger in the past. I guess we'll just keep bashing our heads against the wall collectively, wondering whether this change is from Tom, the writers, or what.
      Yes and I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I'm relieved that I'm able to explain my thoughts about this "change" of Tom's acting and I don't think, it's the writers' or director's wish.
      I am watching Smallville just because of Tom, so I might be a little overfocused on his acting *lol* .

Originally posted by All about Clark
      This is Tom's show, he's not going to do anything to jeapardize it. I think you need to be blaming the directors and producers. Tom can do anything they ask of him in regards to his acting.
      I'm not saying, that he jeopardize it, but I don't think, as I wrote above, it's the blame of the directors and producers.
      Of course nobody has to agree with me, I'm only telling what I feel when watching Tom from the beginning of Season 7. I do miss this extra little something in his acting, in his eyes, in his voice etc. which I always adored in the other episodes till the end of season 6.
      I'm not able to explain it better, because I'm not a native english speaker, so I might use the wrong words and it is difficult to explain anyway no matter which language.

Originally posted by LexLuv180
      I don't have offense to see him mature, but to me emotionless does not equal maturity. Either way, I never meant Tom wasn't a great actor.
      Exactly

----- Added 12 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
      Exactly. He's showing that he's growing up and maturing - I would've actually been quite annoyed if he'd had a hissy fit at Lionel or in the cage. Not only would it have degraded the character, it would have sent him back several steps and snapped the audience away from the sense of suspense and mystery of the episode.
      So maturing is not showing his anger and frustration to Lionel?
      I don't think so. Clark could have been more loud, he barely changed his voice while speaking to him.

I think, one reason, why everybody loves Superman is, that he is more human that other aliens and that also means, showing his feelings, at least sometimes.
      And I'm sure, that scene in Lionel's office was one of that "sometimes".

And Lionel is no one, Clark has to keep a pokerface when talking to him. He knows him for so long now and they went through so much more or less together, there's no need in hiding his emotions. Clark could have been more angry in that scene, because he really had so much reason to shout at him.
      Last edited by Yasise; 03-22-2008, 03:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Yasise

So maturing is not showing his anger and frustration to Lionel?
        I don't think so. Clark could have been more loud, he barely changed his voice while speaking to him.

I think, one reason, why everybody loves Superman is, that he is more human that other aliens and that also means, showing his feelings, at least sometimes.
        And I'm sure, that scene in Lionel's office was one of that "sometimes".

And Lionel is no one, Clark has to keep a pokerface when talking to him. He knows him for so long now and they went through so much more or less together, there's no need in hiding his emotions. Clark could have been more angry in that scene, because he really had so much reason to shout at him.

definately... i mean even if it wasnt total anger... maybe just that authoratative way that Superman speaks in that 'you really shouldnt make me angry' voice that you sometimes here

but i guess it wasnt just the acting... none of his words were angry either... i mean some kind of warning like 'don't you ever come near me again' or something... something that showed how much Lionel hurt him

just saying that Lionel wasn't any different didn't show how angry or upset or betrayed he was...

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Radioflyer
        His restraint was most impressive. More like Superman than ever before. His turning his back on Lionel I think hurt him more than if Clark had slapped him around the room a bit.
        IMHO you have to show anger on screen in some way in order to show that a character is acting with restraint.

examples:

1) if clark had a moment of emotion in the barn on his own or something... looked at the broken bits of wood and maybe even had flashbacks, smashed something in frustration

2) if clark had told Lana or Chloe how angry he was, broke his armour for one moment in order to show the veiwer that it is armour, and its not just lack of emotion

Clark has never had a problem showing his anger to Lex when he does something wrong. He's punched him for crying out loud... and when Lionel puts him in a kryptonite cage and leaves him with an crazy henchman bent on torturing and killing him, all Lionel gets is a simple 'no your not'

It's like favouritism
        Last edited by Hopefulsuicide; 03-22-2008, 05:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

SV Writers Can't Win

We complain when Clark is mopey and depressed, and then we complain when he's not mopey and depressed. The poor writers just can't win!

I loved this episode. I loved Clark's fighting spirit, and the way he said, "Come out here and face me!" That gave me chills because it was so powerful even when he was in distress.

The scene where Pierce called him a freak, and then turned away, Clark closed his eyes, and the look on his face (besides pain) was, "What am I going to do now?" He was afraid.

The only scene where I wished he had shown a little more emotion was with Kara. I wished he would have hugged her or something, but eh--oh, well. It was still sweet.

He took everything so well, like he was spending his time trying to figure out how to escape (although he couldn't) instead of curling into a ball and sobbing in the corner. It was exactly what I would think Superman would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerial
            We complain when Clark is mopey and depressed, and then we complain when he's not mopey and depressed. The poor writers just can't win!

I loved this episode. I loved Clark's fighting spirit, and the way he said, "Come out here and face me!" That gave me chills because it was so powerful even when he was in distress.

The scene where Pierce called him a freak, and then turned away, Clark closed his eyes, and the look on his face (besides pain) was, "What am I going to do now?" He was afraid.

The only scene where I wished he had shown a little more emotion was with Kara. I wished he would have hugged her or something, but eh--oh, well. It was still sweet.

He took everything so well, like he was spending his time trying to figure out how to escape (although he couldn't) instead of curling into a ball and sobbing in the corner. It was exactly what I would think Superman would do.
            Well, that's the way it goes, I guess. Yes, the writers have a tough job and it's definetly not possible to please every viewer of Smallville out there.

But still, everybody has the right to comment on their work, be it the actors' work or the writers' etc. And as long as we do it in a civilized way - like I believe we do - there's nothing bad in it, is it?

And again, I've to agree with what hopefulsuicide said above - this episode, which I think was one of the better episodes this season, could have been much better, IMO, when some scenes would have had more emotions.

Let me mention this barn scene with the two cousins and not the Lionel/Clark scene again:

Of course there should have been MORE emotions!!!

"Hellooo, Kara just saved your life, Clark!" And he stands there and talks to her from that distance, not coming over to her, not hugging her warmly etc., at least when saying his "You saved my life, thank you"......... That was so not o.k., sorry!
            And why throwing that bracelet to her, why not coming down and putting it himself onto her wrist first and then hug her??? That would have been sooo sweet! *sigh*

Doesn't he hug all his friends from time to time - oh sorry, he didn't hug Pete in "Hero" either (and I think, he should have done as he met him after so many years again), but he didn't once hug his cousin, did he? At least, I don't remember at the moment, but in that barn scene, she definetly deserved a warm and tenderly hug from Clark, hands down!

I mean, they're cousins, she is his only relative and I think, she's not hat stranger to him anymore, like in the beginning, they've seen each other for the first time again , after her leaving to Lex's mansion (I don't count the rescue scene) oh, and she just saved his life.....do I've to go on?

When I watched that scene I really was so not touched and that has nothing to do with the fact, that I for myself don't like Kara (neither the character, nor the actress - sorry).
            This scene could have been so much better, warmer and more believable, but instead it was a total loss, IMO.
            I really expected so much more emotions and actually there's no reason for not showing more there, was it?
            Last edited by Yasise; 03-22-2008, 07:39 AM.

Comment

i also am not a big kara fan, but your right, that scene felt the same as a lot of scenes in this episode - emotionless

oddly enough, i thought kristen showed more emotion that anyone but JG in this episode, and i usually am the first to slate her acting. but from the moment you see her, she is almost teary eyed with fear, which goes away when it's replaced by cold determination

was a nice change for me to like her... although i was dissapointed we didnt get a Lana Lionel confrontation... that would have been awesome

but Kara was emotionless too... she just got her life back! she just saved her cousin from nearly being killed! and it was like she just got back from camp

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                i also am not a big kara fan, but your right, that scene felt the same as a lot of scenes in this episode - emotionless

oddly enough, i thought kristen showed more emotion that anyone but JG in this episode, and i usually am the first to slate her acting. but from the moment you see her, she is almost teary eyed with fear, which goes away when it's replaced by cold determination

was a nice change for me to like her... although i was dissapointed we didnt get a Lana Lionel confrontation... that would have been awesome

but Kara was emotionless too... she just got her life back! she just saved her cousin from nearly being killed! and it was like she just got back from camp
                yeah, Kara is "Miss Emotionless" for sure, but maybe she's to act like that At least she's a kryptonian and not raised by humans??? Well, I really am trying hard to find an explanation, aren't I?

I expected more emotions from Clark in that scene at least, but....well, don't want to repeat myself again and again.

Comment

haha i know, i'm so dissapointed that i can't stop going on about it lol... someone give me a good arguement, then i wont feel like im just going in circlies

funny thing is, i think the episode was in my top three of the season... i dont hate it... but it had the opportunity to be my favourite episode of Smalville ever... and it failed

Comment

Ever since he was tiny his parents drilled into him to keep his secret, because they were afraid someone would take him away and keep him locked up and study him. He has probably had hundreds of nightmares about a man like peirce. A sadistic man who would call him a freak and hurt him.
                    I though his worst nightmare was outliving all the people he loved and being left all alone on Earth.

Comment

haha i know, i'm so dissapointed that i can't stop going on about it lol... someone give me a good arguement, then i wont feel like im just going in circlies

funny thing is, i think the episode was in my top three of the season... i dont hate it... but it had the opportunity to be my favourite episode of Smalville ever... and it failed
                      Let's go together in circles then, because I'm totally with you

So, which ones are the top three of this season for you? I'd like to know, because so far, there are only three ep's this season for me as well, which I loved.

Comment

i suppose it was a good thing in a way possibly because hes standing up to his worst fear and acting more like superman would against a threat... take it head on! i quote from Clark in the cage saying "COME OUT HERE AND FACE ME!"

see he is getting there sort of least he did'nt give up on his hope!

btw the way he fought against the kryptonite in the episode i thought was EXCELLENT!

Comment

Ditto!!

Originally posted by BadToad
                          I know I should just stop myself from responding to Clark bashing threads, but...

Personally, I loved that Clark was able to maintain his strength and composure, even while being tortured, and even while facing his worst fear. TW played him, brilliantly might I add, with a quiet calm and dignity. He wasn't going to let this sadistic animal see him cry, or grovel, or break. He remained as stong as he could be. He dared this person to come face him. He stayed on his feet as long as he could. I loved the scenes of him struggling to get back up on his feet. I found it very meaningful. He's facing his biggest fear standing up, and he's going to keep trying until he physically can't anymore.

Seems to me that some people are always complaining that Clark is too emo, or whatever this weeks criticism is. But when Clark shows fortitude, and courage and strength of character, then he's not showing enough emotion? Talk about never being able to win

As for the confrontation with Lionel, I couldn't have been more pleased with that. We've seen Clark fly off the handle before, and its not pretty, but he's grown up. He walks in confidently, he asks the right questions. You can see he's angry, he's hurt, he's disappointed, he's betrayed. But most of all, he's calm. Just as the he'll need to be in the future when he's Superman. IMO, it was so much more effective then if he had flown off the handle, or yelled and screamed. This was a mature, composed Clark who handled a horrific ordeal with dignity and strength.

I thought he was amazing. JMHO
                          WOW!Well said, BadToad! I'm clapping and cheering for ALL that you pointed out about TW's performance and interpretation of who Clark is supposed to be now. I felt so completely satisfied by the way Clark presented himself before his 'torturor' and Lionel. Everytime his 'torturor' kicked up the voltage in his cage and knocked him flat, you're right, he Always made a valiant attempt to stand up to him again, and though he was physically weakened, his physical presence was evident in his powerfully pumped-up arms clearly visible at every attempt. I was so proud of him! So Yeah, what you said...Me, too. I wish I had those fancy 'smilies' with the Cheers/mugs of beer to salute TW as Clark Kent in "Traveler".

Comment

guess it's just a matter of taste

i personally only see bravery where i have seen major fear. they get hurt, they break, then they get back up again, and thats where you see their strength

i guess it was brave to not be scared... but unreaslitic... superman is human, so is clark, especially this young

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Yasise
                            Let's go together in circles then, because I'm totally with you

So, which ones are the top three of this season for you? I'd like to know, because so far, there are only three ep's this season for me as well, which I loved.
                            hmmmm... i'm not entirely sure lol... i said top three just incase, but i cant really remember the other episodes

i'm gonna stab a pin in traveler, persona, cure... or maybe fracture

hmm its a toughie

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by RichardMarx
                            I though his worst nightmare was outliving all the people he loved and being left all alone on Earth.
                            well yeah that's one of them. but since he has been afraid of being held captive by the gorvernment since he was a toddler, and only found out that he might outlive all his loved ones when he was 15, i'd say the former is his biggest nightmare
                            Last edited by Hopefulsuicide; 03-23-2008, 04:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

guess it's just a matter of taste

i personally only see bravery where i have seen major fear. they get hurt, they break, then they get back up again, and thats where you see their strength

i guess it was brave to not be scared... but unreaslitic... superman is human, so is clark, especially this young

I think that several 'cage' parts weren't Tom's best acting. Maybe it was difficult for him, I don't know. I didn't want Clark to completely break down and sob in terror and pain, or plead or beg or anything. But, yes, I would have liked to see more close up scenes and actually see more emotion. Then I watched the episode again and Clark's constant attempts to just get up struck me as fear. Not terror, but mind-numbing fear nonetheless. Instead of trying to keep the little strength he had left, he just wanted to get away, able or not, almost as a terrified animal, incapable of reasoning. That's the way I saw it, at least. As you say, it is a matter of taste. And I don't think Lionel would have been able to bear to see Clark break down in that cell. Even as it is, it seems to me that Lionel managed to hurt himself more than the almost fatal levels of Kryptonite harmed Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by Este
                                I think that several 'cage' parts weren't Tom's best acting. Maybe it was difficult for him, I don't know. I didn't want Clark to completely break down and sob in terror and pain, or plead or beg or anything. But, yes, I would have liked to see more close up scenes and actually see more emotion................
                                No, of course not - that would have been too much.

Yeah, me, too.

Did anyone recognize that they used the same shot twice? I mean in that cage, when this psycho turns up th elevel and Clark turns over on his back and lifts up his hips?? I'm sure that shot was used twice and it surprised me. But I might be wrong and the two shots are only similar
                                Last edited by Yasise; 03-23-2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎