No announcement yet.

Detailed episode review: Four Months Later

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed episode review: Four Months Later

Right off the bat I have to say I was so pumped for the second season, and it really disappointed me. That said, any episode of Heroes is better than most of the reality-cr@p on television these days, so a disappointing hour of Heroes is still top-notch. :-)

I'm quite glad that Mohinder's lecture circuit was a planned cry for attention to make The Company think they were asking something of him instead of Mohinder sneaking his way into The Company. Otherwise I would have felt bad for poor, silly, crazy Dr. Suresh, shouting his unbelievable theories at small groups of random people.

The next group of new characters we see are Maya and Alejandro Herrera. While Alejandro's hair is truly ridiculous (he takes the Bad Hair Award from emo-locked Peter in this episode), I don't mind the characters early on. Mysterious brother and sister, running to America, and talking about people dying... Okay, I'm in. Let's see where this goes.

The Bennet family storyline bored the hell out of me. Didn't we do this whole thing last season? Don't tell anyone at school you're special. Don't kill yourself in front of anyone. Don't tell boys what you can do. I understand you can't write her a storyline out of school yet when she's only 16, but come on. Let's try something a little different, yeah? I did really like her reaction to getting the new car, though. Seemed very honest. Again, I love Jack and Hayden's father-daughter chemistry.

I love the way Masi's stunt double (I'm assuming it's not Masi himself) lands in the grass in Tokyo. It's hysterical, and so perfect. Cracks me up every time I see it. And it was a fabulous idea to have Hiro accidentally teleport himself back to meet Takezo Kensei, but the execution... Well, we'll get to that. For now, I liked that he felt he needed to "save" his hero from the arrows.

Matt! Glad to see you, buddy! And as a member of the NYPD. Awesome. Proud of you, dude. And for those of us who are crazy and obsessive, his badge number is 8954. I'm also glad they're giving him a divorce--he'd gone as far as he could with Janice, and he needed to be included in more of the action and not tied down to a cheating wife and some other guy's baby. Good decision, writers.

West bothered me. From the very beginning. All his talk of aliens and robots and such. I don't care if you're pretty, you're bugging me, man. And making him into Superman with his flight ability just made it worse. We already have someone who can fly! My goodness, I can think of so many other powers he could have had. Branch out, guys.

Once again, I love Adair Tishler. Her delivery of "You are late!" was adorable, as always. And I think it's perfect for Matt to be taking care of her now in New York. They're so cute together.

Kaito mentions a legacy he is supposed to hand down to Hiro. What is it? I like that Ando is his aide, though. This scene in Kirby Plaza does two nice things: ties us back to the battle of last season's finale, and sets up a large part of this season's story arc, the picture with Kensei's symbol drawn over it. It's a great way to tie things together for the Volume.

Ugh, Beard!Nathan is so nasty. I didn't believe anything at all about him in Season 2, especially the way he starts off, drunk and hairy and disheveled. And who would've guessed, Angela is still evil. What a shocker. I was kind of happy to see her get the Kensei Death Threat, too. Never believed they'd go through with it, but I liked the threat.

Hiro's "Yatta!" after saving Kensei was great. And hey, look at that: they explained why in the season finale last year Kensei was Asian and yet they'd cast David Anders. Thank you, I was worried about that. But speaking of David Anders, if you haven't seen him on Alias, go rent a couple seasons. He's wonderful as Sark (coincidentally also a character with an English accent). My favorite part of Hiro and Kensei's first scene together is the expression on Hiro's face when Kensei takes off his mask and reveals he's a white dude, and Hiro fumbles to put his glasses back on, like maybe he just can't see properly. :-) But no, Kensei really is a blonde, blue-eyed cutie.

This was a good idea, and I see why they went in this direction with the Kensei storyline. It gives Hiro a chance to grow and get closer to his Five Years Gone persona (though not much), as well as continue an arc from last season. Casting David Anders was good, too, as was making him a bit of a bastard. Nice touch.

I like Bob. I'm happy with this new character. I like the way he was introduced, and I like the way his character evolves over this too-short season. His power is very cool, too. I don't think I'd turn down the power of alchemy if it were offered to me!

Funny line: "I miss Mohinder. He cooks." Very cute that Mohinder and Matt are sharing Daddy Duty of Molly in Mohinder's New York apartment. Adair wins the Oscar for this episode during this scene, too. Take a bow, sweetie, you rock. The pair follow it up with a great nightmare scene, too, so kudos to both of you. You're the best parts of this episode.

Back to Maya and Alejandro: the idea that they're trying to get to America to find a cure from Dr. Suresh is well-written, and if only Alejandro had been left behind for good when the guys hauled Maya away into the front seat of their van... Ah well. This is also the beginning of a series of pained screams from Maya. Something funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJDE-Hm63L0

Hiro and Kensei's scene with Yaeko is very funny. Still enjoying the storyline... But I'm not sure I'd call her the most beautiful woman in all the land.

I like Maya's power. We've got too many heroes that have their powers under control and it was about time we were introduced to someone destructive who couldn't control things. A smaller-scale nuclear Peter. Good idea.

Best part of the whole episode: container 9109 in Cork, Ireland. After going the whole episode with no Peter, we finally get him for the final 2 minutes, and good lord, what a good 2 minutes it is. :-) A haircut, exhibition of a new power (and an offensive one at that), and Milo has his shirt off. Looks like you've been working out over the hiatus, babe. Very nice. :-) And he's wearing The Haitian's necklace! How did he get that? And where did his memory go? Probably also has something to do with The Haitian. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Bits and Pieces:

* The minute the manager at Copy Kingdom opened his mouth I was smirking, knowing full well at some point Noah was going to totally kick his ass.
    * Kaito says "they're all very powerful" when referring (supposedly) to the other people in the picture the death threats are torn from. So... what are their powers?
    * So there are 12 "original" heroes?
    * Funny line: "The future may not exist as I know it! No future, no cars, no Andos, no me!"
    * I know the Bennet's were probably rolling in dough while Noah worked for The Company, and that they could probably afford a nice big home in Texas, but where in the world is the money coming from to get them the nice digs in southern Cali when Noah's now an assistant manager at Copy Kingdom?
    * Oh, boy, that Bennet dinner was awful. Awkward turtle!
    * Nice new pink phone, Claire. So she and Bio-Dad!Nathan are still in contact? Good. I like that.
    * Bye, Kaito. You were pretty cool while you lasted, and my only regret is that you didn't stick around long enough to reveal your power or what the legacy was you were going to pass on to Hiro.

Thanks for reading, and if you want to read more reviews, stop by my website! You can find the link by visiting my profile.

GG
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎