No announcement yet.

Godsend Episode Review

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godsend Episode Review

So, Niki turned herself in, Peter’s in a coma, and the first half of this episode just seems to plop along for me. Just another episode. Not too much worth mentioning beyond a Bit and Piece. Thankfully, it does pick up a bit eventually.

Claire’s discussion with her dad in the kitchen is good. Looks like she’s doing okay with the faux memory loss. And the switch between scenes at the end of this one is wonderful—I love the shot from behind as HRG puts his glasses on—very reminiscent of the first time he does it in 1x01 Genesis. It’s sad seeing Sylar on the floor at HRG’s feet. It’s a testament to Zachary’s talent as well as the writers’ that the main villain is one of the most sympathetic characters on the whole show.

Cockroach tally: one crawls in front of Drugged!Sylar on the floor of his cell (4).

Takezo Kensei is fully introduced in this episode. The quick montage of shots of different aspects of the museum case is cool, and I especially like the fact that the helix symbol is that old. The Kensei exposition was done nicely and wasn’t too heavy. Having Hiro grow up on the stories and legends as a boy was good, too. I wonder if I’ll ever get a superpower and have to use the weapons of Rainbow Brite and She-Ra to save the world.

Hiro’s slow motion almost-freeze is cute, as are his light saber noises as he poses as Isaac foresaw under the dinosaur at the museum. And I love the look on Hiro’s face when he realizes he still doesn’t have his sword.

Isaac is adorable when he’s clean and sober. No wonder Simone dated him. He’s lovely. (Side note: this is one of the few moments when Adrian gets a chance to be funny as he awkwardly and pointedly excuses himself from Simone and Isaac’s reunion. Another comic gem arrives at the end of the scene as his head comes poking out from behind the canvas: “Did he say Linderman?” “Frying man!”) Anybody think that Isaac looks like a Jedi when he puts on that brown shirt? I like that Nathan comments on the obvious improvement of Hiro’s English. Although it was weirdly advanced when they first met, too. Another two of my very favorite Hiro/Nathan moments are #1. “Woosh!” “Would you keep it down?” “Woosh.” #2. “Like billain.” “What’s that?” “Billain.” “Billain?” “Billain.” “Villain?” “Veee...?” “V.” “Veeee-llain.”

Weepy Blonde Moment-of-the-Week goes again to Hayden in her scene with Jimmy. Very nice. This is probably helped along by the fact that Jimmy does wonderfully as well here, and Ali doesn’t have much in the way of nice weepy moments to compete. It’s not much of a fight.

And we’re back with Ted. Good to know you’re still out there, dude. The exploding man set up and the radioactive character seemed at such odds with Peter being the cause of the explosion until my dense little brain caught up to the fact that Peter will be able to absorb Ted’s power the moment they come anywhere near each other. So now the wait begins. How long until these two meet and we lose all of New York? I like the red herring of Peter trying to fly to Nevada to save New York—you immediately assume he’s going to run into dear ol’ Ted out there. Think this was an initial plot line that they re-wrote?

Mohinder’s conversation with HRG was better than I thought it would be. I knew the two of them would have to meet again and have it out, but this scene was very good. I thought Sendhil might let me down, but good job, dude.

I love the extended cut of Peter’s dream/vision, but the way Milo wakes up from his coma isn’t very good. His scream is perfect, don’t get me wrong, I think Milo has one of the best guy-shrieks ever (just manly enough), but the way he flails and bucks back and forth a couple times in his hospital bed is kinda dumb. Nice line: “No I did not just let him leave, and when I see him I will kill him.”

Bits and Pieces:

* Awesome delivery by Noah: “Well, your dad’s got his own style.” “I can see that.” This kid is a total scene stealer, and Leonard just can’t seem to keep up here.
    * I like the beat up guard, all on edge as he comes to collect Niki for her visit with her lawyer.
    * I love Angela’s hound’s-tooth shawl. I want it. I also want Claire’s shirt and earrings.
    * Matt’s raid on Primatech is amusing and infuriating at the same time. Damn HRG and his taunting “Oops,” and “Good luck with that.”
    * Peter’s 26 years old. And Nathan’s kiss is a little weird.
    * My goodness, Sendhil has amazing hair.
    * Wow, they really were able to get Eden away from Texas in a hurry. Not only do they dump the body, but they dump it in Canada.
    * And we’re back to Claire throwing herself off of tall things. I guess there’s something to be said for tradition, right?
    * Nice intro of Claude, but the dialogue clueing the viewer in to the fact that he (and by proximity, Peter) is invisible is clunky.
    * Okay, Sylar better be back up and wreaking havoc by the next episode, it’s no fun when he’s gorked out.
    * Holy crap, she might not win best Weepy Blonde this week, but Ali definitely gets the award for best creepy, razor-edge delivery: “Oh God, please help me… Who needs God when you’ve got me?” Wow.

Til next episode, or visit my website for more reviews!
    GoldenGait
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎