Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville Books/Novels

Not sure if this belongs here, or in General Discussion, but oh well.

I haven't heard the Smallville novels being discussed in a while, who's been reading? I'm mostly talking about the adult series of the books, so far there's been six I think.

Favorites so far are Strange Visitors and Hauntings. I just ordered "Shadows" and "Silence" from amazon.com and now I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I read "Shadows" (on Paperb and Margroks' suggestions) and it was really good. The author knew what she was talking about and she followed continuity, which couldn't be said of other writers, especially in the young adult series.

I also really enjoyed "Speed," which was the second offering by Cherie Bennett and Jeff Gottesfeld in the young adult series.

Comment

I've read (and own) all bar one of the Smallville novels.

The 'Arrivals' one is a bit of a cop out as it partially rewrites the end of the first episode, and makes it a little odd.

Comment

I've read "Strange Visitors" and "Dragon" and i'm currently three quarters of the way through "Hauntings" with "Whodunnit" to read later. They're enjoyable. I liked "Dragon" a lot and i'm really enjoying "Hauntings".. i've always liked Nancy Holder's books. I wasn't too sure about "Strange Visitors", i felt it was almost half over before the story really kicked in, if you know what i mean But i'm liking them

Comment

"Arrival" was based on an earlier version of the Pilot script, which is why it's all weird like that.

Comment

'Runaway' was very good, even despite the fact that it was very much like "Exile".
            Last edited by j03superbat; 09-07-2004, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I've only been able to get my hands on "See No Evil" and "Flight" up here. I'm waiting for the town's public library to get more in - they have a couple, but they're always checked out.

In your guys' opinion, which series is better?

Comment

I haven't seen *any* SV novels around here! I didn't know there were any! I can't afford to order online, and stores like Barnes & Noble and Borders are too expensive; has anyone seen them anywhere else?

Comment

I don't know any other place to get books other than the bookstores like WaldenBooks. They're all $5.99, so you're better off buying the thicker ones because they're the same price as the shorter ones.

I personally like the young adult series better. They are so simple and get to the point quickly, though admittably too quickly at times. Plus, the YA series has a constant author team, unlike the the other series, so they know what they're talking about.

But of course, that's just my opinion (which never seems to count for anything...)

Comment

The only good ones from the YA series (imo) were the ones written by Cherie Bennett and Jeff Gottesfeld. But it might be because I'm biased and love the episode "Jitters" unconditionally.

Comment

i actaully emailed them to let them know how much i liked their books and to please please please write another sv episode. such a nice couple. they did answer back and of course remembered the interview they did her but said they are not planning on writing any more for the show. so will just have to read the books instead.

Comment

I have read all the smallville novels. Both the adult and young adult series. I just finished Shadows which was very good and am currently reading Runaway, which is also good. The young adult series is very easy to read, which is great when you are
                        busy and don't have alot of time to read. The adult novels are more complex, and they seem to spend alot of time going over SV history. So far I have enjoyed all the books.

Lynn

Comment

I'm confused ...I thought all of the books were considered "young adult"...Is there really an "adult" series, and if so, what books are part of this? I looked on-line a few days ago and don't remember Amazon.ca differentiating them...

Comment

there are young adult and novels. the young adult are shorter more like what you get in a singe episode. the novels have a bit more depth to them. i like them both.

Comment

Anybody read "Whodunnit"? and if so, did you spot the continuity error?

It's nothing really major, but there's a line on page 136 when Clark asks whether Chloe has called her folks.. and Chloe replies that she got the machine and she hopes "they check it before mom sets the table"... and we all know that Chloe's mother isn't a part of her daughter's life and hasn't been since she was about five years old.

But apart from that, "Whodunnit" is turning out to be a very good read

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎