No announcement yet.

UK Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Thoughts

Well, I'll kick off for a change. A good solid entertaining episode. Not one of the greats, perhaps, but it kept me pretty happy for an hour. O.K., so the "rage drug" storyline scored zero for originality, but it was reasonably well executed. A nice touch was having Ollie treat Dr. Black in a Lex-like manner, neatly indicating his flirting with the "billionaire goes bad" lifestyle. Otherwise, generally good performances from the regulars, with distinct improvements from last week's episode. The exception for me with Kristin Kreuk, who started well in her early scenes, but following her faint in the Daily Planet, reverted to the dreaded "angsty Lana" aka "Girl Permanently On The Verge Of Tears". I'm sorry, but those doe-eyes and that hoarse whisper annoy the hell out of me! That said, the scene with Clark at the mansion was less irritating than a lot of those awful Clana barn scenes, so I can't judge her too harshly (her performance was certainly better than in "Fallout").

One pleasant surprise was the "Thanksgiving dinner" storyline. I feared that this had mawkish sentimentality written all over it. In the event, the worst excesses were held in check, perhaps helped by the fact that the majority of the characters involved aren't particularly sentimental by nature. So, we got genuine warmth at the Kent's, neatly contrasted with cold formality at the Luthor mansion.

As I said, not one of the series' great episodes, but one that certainly help keep up the overall standard of the season.
    Last edited by newbaggy; 09-03-2007, 01:18 PM.

An entertaining episode, even if the writing was a little sloppy in places. Oliver continues to be one of the show's best additions.

I would have liked to have heard what other characters were thankful for rather than just Clark. Oliver thankful for: drugs. Lionel thankful for: Clark's hot mother. Lex thankful for: Lana actually shutting up during dinner for once.

Have to agree with newbaggy that the regulars were on form. The interactions between characters really help make up for deficiencies in story telling.

Comment

Evening all!
      First off, many thanks for the messages of congratulation newbaggy, keeforelli and psycosis! Little Lex Dance (aka Ben) is doing really well. And psycosis, we DID consider the name Alexander but it was already taken by another friend of mine! (I would have called him Lex in private. )
      By the way, I enjoyed last week's highbrow debate on escapism v. serious drama! For what it's worth, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive and the very best episodes of Smallville combine the two.
      Anyway, on to Rage........
      Another episode I really enjoyed. Maybe not as strong as the last three but definitely one that maintains the good run this season is on. I have to admit I was a little worried about MR's efforts in the first few episodes - he seemed a little lacklustre - but now I realise that he has been fine-tuning the controlled menace he brings to his character. That face-off with Ollie was cinematic! And the coldness he brings to each scene is just fantastic, as summed up beautifully in the final shot.
      Green Arrow is a great addition to the show. Yes the drug storyline has been done before but JH played it very well and it once again highlighted how Lois deals with people with secrets in a much less Dawson's Creek way than Lana. newbaggy, I too feared the worst when the words "Thanksgivng" and "dinner" were mentioned but the scene played extremely well (apart from the fact that I always laugh whenever Chloe and Lionel are in the same room ). What a touch cutting to Lex and Lana, with the same track still playing!
      The scene between Lana and Clark at the mansion was very good too. Something about it struck me as very strange, almost gothic. I suppose it was just nice to have scene between them that didn't go over old ground. I assume this signals an eventual defrosting of their current situation but the whole baby angle will make things interesting for Clark, Lana and Lex. I like the way this storyline echoes the "events" of Lexmas. I wonder what this means for Lex's immediate future? The Lex who makes good choices loses Lana, while the Lex who continues on his current path never has her to start with. I think what they have now is really a state of limbo - it's not a relationship at all and that makes for something quite unusual on a US show. Purists might tell you that Lex Luthor and Superman should never be enemies because of a girl, but for me the writers are doing a good job of adding yet another ingredient into the melting pot.
      Last edited by Lex Dance; 09-03-2007, 01:32 PM.

Comment

well guys..im going to come at this from another angle..i tend to like small ville less when its following its own storyline rather than ones that buy into legend and mythos..and there were a few clunkers i struggled to get past

oliver's sudden move into lex behaviour by having a 'scientist' making a 'potion'- one that created addictive tendencies, manic behaviour and murderous actions!!...and its beyond a cliche now to have the scientist die!!!!

Clark in the lab finding a file behind the steel wall and knowing instantaneously from it that it was lexs halfway house the scientist was testing on, that the scientist was in league with lex and instantly giving us a jerky plot update with his chloe dialogue

the constant use of 'junkie' to describe ollies condition

that ollie was suddenly a 'junkie' at all ( tho i understand he wanted clarks invincibility couldnt there have been a better way?)

the thanksgiving dinner guest list

lionel being there AT ALL? he was hated by jonathan up to the point of jonathans death...in fact could have helped bring it on..(jor el a given)...this was last season...at what point did the kents esp clark get over this?

Lionel and chloe sat next to each other?...really?..at what point did they get over the trial?..and his threats? did he not fire chloes dad....etc etc...

Clark allowing lionel to be there?

The way ollie and clark sometimes sound scripted and stilted...almost in an autocue way when talking to each other

i could see the good stuff you guys mentioned..but some of the episode was to my mind poorly thought thru...we all remember the different character conflicts form the past- i need an explanation for when they got over them!!!

and one more irritation?...

THE WAY LANA FAINTED!!!!!.....for about 0.5 seconds!!!..and the sound effect guys overdoing the thud..just slightly...he he...is that how we should have guessed she was pregnant?...wouldnt morning sickness and a little bump been easier to spot?
        tho i must say..i liked the fact that virtually that entire table knew clarks 'secret!!!'

right need to go chillout!!..im in a particularly picky frame of mind...
        Last edited by keeforelli; 09-03-2007, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Loved the ep, and liked how its shows even a super hero like Green Arrow is all too aware or his own mortality.

Originally posted by Lex Dance
          Evening all!
          First off, many thanks for the messages of congratulation newbaggy, keeforelli and psycosis! Little Lex Dance (aka Ben) is doing really well. And psycosis, we DID consider the name Alexander but it was already taken by another friend of mine! (I would have called him Lex in private. )
          Glad to hear it mate, and I’m sure you'll call Ben (Little Lex Dance! ) Lex secretly, if even it's to yourself!

By the way, I enjoyed last week's highbrow debate on escapism v. serious drama! For what it's worth, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive and the very best episodes of Smallville combine the two.
          Good to know your still around in spirit at least
          I agree on your take, but also to expand that sometimes it's easy to forget that ANY show is a Drama, which is just another word for soap opera at the end of the day - even THE most serious shows, never really go for 100% realism - at least I hope not, since they fail miserably. Maybe it's just me that laughs when something morbid happens!

Purists might tell you that Lex Luthor and Superman should never be enemies because of a girl, but for me the writers are doing a good job of adding yet another ingredient into the melting pot.
          Couldn't agree more, even a die hard like me can appreciate Smallvilles take on the mythos, it makes for a more interesting story - it's easy to keep to the old same formula, age old characters like Superman are always changing, so it's nice to see that a show like this doesn't feel restricted to any set ideals.

For me Lana is just the "prize" she's purely symbolic in value, Lex only likes to show off and have someone be there to watch him win, without her, he would still scheme his evil schemes! Clark just needs to be reassured, she represents his biggest fears - he's looking for forgiveness, not love.

Comment

im thinking i maybe need to watch this again?...i was coming over a little harsh there...tho still riled by the thanksgiving dinner!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by keeforelli
              well guys..im going to come at this from another angle..i tend to like small ville less when its following its own storyline rather than ones that buy into legend and mythos..and there were a few clunkers i struggled to get past

oliver's sudden move into lex behaviour by having a 'scientist' making a 'potion'- one that created addictive tendencies, manic behaviour and murderous actions!!...and its beyond a cliche now to have the scientist die!!!!

Clark in the lab finding a file behind the steel wall and knowing instantaneously from it that it was lexs halfway house the scientist was testing on, that the scientist was in league with lex and instantly giving us a jerky plot update with his chloe dialogue

the constant use of 'junkie' to describe ollies condition

that ollie was suddenly a 'junkie' at all ( tho i understand he wanted clarks invincibility couldnt there have been a better way?)

the thanksgiving dinner guest list

lionel being there AT ALL? he was hated by jonathan up to the point of jonathans death...in fact could have helped bring it on..(jor el a given)...this was last season...at what point did the kents esp clark get over this?

Lionel and chloe sat next to each other?...really?..at what point did they get over the trial?..and his threats? did he not fire chloes dad....etc etc...

Clark allowing lionel to be there?

The way ollie and clark sometimes sound scripted and stilted...almost in an autocue way when talking to each other

i could see the good stuff you guys mentioned..but some of the episode was to my mind poorly thought thru...we all remember the different character conflicts form the past- i need an explanation for when they got over them!!!

and one more irritation?...

THE WAY LANA FAINTED!!!!!.....for about 0.5 seconds!!!..and the sound effect guys overdoing the thud..just slightly...he he...is that how we should have guessed she was pregnant?...wouldnt morning sickness and a little bump been easier to spot?
              tho i must say..i liked the fact that virtually that entire table knew clarks 'secret!!!'

right need to go chillout!!..im in a particularly picky frame of mind...
              "Picky frame of mind"? Watch it, or you'll start turning into me!

Actually, you've got some pretty reasonable points. Some of the Ollie and Clark scenes do get a bit stilted, but I think that's partly because Ollie is yet another character that is being used as a blunt instrument to beat the "it's time to be a proper hero" message into Clark's head. The writers don't seem to be going for the subtle approach. Still, it's their own fault for making Clark such a Big Dumb Alien at times.

Lionel! Lionel! Lionel! I spent half of season 5 trying to work out why the "goodies" came to accept him so easily. Considering everything that the other dinner guests could hold against him, it's surprising they didn't string him up from the nearest tree! I've reached the point where I just go with the flow. It makes no sense, but who cares, we get more John Glover! That proviso apart, I actually quite liked the Thanksgiving guest list. If Martha could have made room for an extra guest, I wouldn't have minded being there. Can you imagine - Martha's home cooking and some fun conversation! Mind you, Lois' burnt apple pie for dessert would have been interesting!

Comment

Hi everyone, sorry I'm so late reviewing the episode, I recorded it off the tv, but smallville has become one of those shows that we in our household have to all watch together as a family, as it wasn't until today we've all been ready to watch it.

There was nothing really bad about this weeks ep, it was a little weird seeing lionel as a dinner guest (like you've all already said) but it was great just getting to see lionel. Still, I hope his role in the show now isn't limited to wooing martha and he gets to revert to his bad self sometime soon.

I loved ollie yelling at clark near the start, I was cheering him on during the whole 'some of us care more about saving lives then hiding our secrets' speech. The 'I want to be just like clark' speech at the end wasn't as good.

I also loved lois ignoring clark's advice, and clark telling ollie that lois is not like lana. Lois was awsome as ever in this ep.

Just one more little point, can we please go just one episode without a hospital scene?

Oh and congrats lex dance for your new baby, sorry if I forgot to say so before.

Comment

Originally posted by Pesk
                  Oh and congrats lex dance for your new baby, sorry if I forgot to say so before.
                  Many thanks Pesk - no need to apologise! You're right about the number of hospital scenes.......I remember the female Sheriff once commenting on the uncanny number of crime scenes that Clark was present at. Surely someone at the hospital must have noticed Clark's frequent visits to friends and family!!
                  keeforelli, did you get round to watching the episode again? I hope you had a lie down after your first post!! A US poster made a fair comment that Lionel saved Chloe during the riot, so I can now somewhat forgive the writers for their seating arrangement.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎