Internet Friendships and Relationships

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It kind of depends. I'm someone who's had the internet since the fastest speed was a 14.4kbps modem, we were all talking through telnet and sites were pretty much text based, because if we dared to have anything graphical, it'd be 2008 before the header loaded. Yes, that's right, I'm one of the old guard. Accept that I'm old, chuckle and move along.

That said, I still talk to a lot of the people that I started talking to all those years ago; we've met a couple of times, we trade emails every couple of days, and sometimes...Just sometimes, we set up our old 486's and raise a little chaos in the manor that we used to.

So yeah. We know each other pretty well, we're friends and we probably will be for as long as nachos and beer exist in the world, BECAUSE...We always have our schooldays and the superbowl to talk about. So to speak.

That said, I'm a lot more wary about people on the internet these days; I've made the effort to talk to and relate to people on this site for example, but I'm still fairly guarded. I extend a sense of familiarty, but I don't think I can ever see myself giving someone here my home address, or send them care packages in the way I do the friends I know on and offline, and have known for that kind of time.

Comment

I'm blessed - some of my closest friends are those I've meet online - Bonita, Heather and Lydia (all members here) are good friends, and a part from these girls, I've got a close group of girls from other sites. I've meet my other half and my sister (not literally my sister LOL) online and God knows I'm holding onto them and not letting them go. Don't let anyone tell you you can't make friends online - that is pure ignorance.

Comment

I dont think that things work.I dont say it aint possible but i solidly think 95% of the cases just aint working.Internet is purely informative kind of thing.Feelings dont play a big role.....how you wanna give someone warmth?Trough a virtual word?No way!+ Friends come trough things you experience together,if both sitting on the pc watching on the screen that aint really a 'together'

So,be sure you got company besides a virtual place and use the virtuality for the information or whatever else you need,just use it right!
        Last edited by Moment4Ever; 09-07-2007, 01:01 AM.

Comment

No offence to the poster above, but all you said? I personally think as complete bull.

Comment

i agree that he's full of...something...

I have plenty of friends on this site, and i've met other people from a few other sites, like a few people from a subaru board that i met at a car meet. I know of quite a few people on k-site that I call friends. They listen when i need someone to talk to, and i try to do the same for them.

meeting people online is no different from meeting strangers at work, a bar, or at school. you still know nothing about them. They can still lie about themselves if they choose. But if we have people we share things with, and we enjoy the company, how is that not friendship?

Comment

I agree. It's very possible to make friends online. You meet someone who is great to talk to and will be there when you need to talk. That is no different than a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallville_Angel
                I'm blessed - some of my closest friends are those I've meet online - Bonita, Heather and Lydia (all members here) are good friends, and a part from these girls, I've got a close group of girls from other sites. I've meet my other half and my sister (not literally my sister LOL) online and God knows I'm holding onto them and not letting them go. Don't let anyone tell you you can't make friends online - that is pure ignorance.
                Aww thanks Sheridan, btw everyone I'm Heather. But I think you can make friends online. Just because we might not see them in person or whatever doesn't mean they cant be your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by meteor_phreak
                  i agree that he's full of...something...
                  Blood, organs, and oxygen?

I've met a lot of people online that I consider to be "friends". I also talk to people online that I know in real life who are my friends. Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by thmallville
                    Blood, organs, and oxygen?
                    lol!!

Thats was funny!

Thank you for the laugh!

Rly!

Comment

Originally posted by Nospam
                      Don't forget we learned about her amazing proof reading dog Lucky.

I miss her.

Hey, Dejected Angel, you're aren't asking this question as part of some university paper or thesis, are you?

Just asking...
                      Haha......nope
                      If it was a university paper I would get better opinions..

And well its more because I find alot of the ppl overdo it with their net relationships and falling in love on the net and all and its sort of silly to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dejected_Angel
                        Haha......nope
                        If it was a university paper I would get better opinions..

ZING!

And well its more because I find alot of the ppl overdo it with their net relationships and falling in love on the net and all and its sort of silly to me.
                        I don't see how the Internet is any different than how previous generations maintained and developed relationships through mail and post cards.

As for falling in love, some years ago my best friend desperately wanted to meet his Internet "girlfriend". We drove straight across the United States to Wisconsin without stopping just so he could meet this Internet chat partner of his. They hit it off amazingly well. *shrug*
                        Last edited by Nospam; 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks Smallville_Angel

For a true fact, I never trusted anyone from the internet UNTIL i came on K.site.. So many nice people I have a few friends over MSN on here including Jen, Gabe, Smallville_Ange, Britl.. and I talk to everyone on culture, so many nice people live far away..

Comment

Same with me!

I have buddies that I met online... they're all snazzy! And I'm pretty sure most of them exist and aren't 50 year old men!

Comment

Originally posted by Nospam
                              As for falling in love, some years ago my best friend desperately wanted to meet his Internet "girlfriend". We drove straight across the United States to Wisconsin without stopping just so he could meet this Internet chat partner of his. They hit it off amazingly well. *shrug*
                              But you once told me she turned out to be married and lived on a trailer park?

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
                                But you once told me she turned out to be married and lived on a trailer park?
                                What cross country romance doesn't have a few wrinkles?

And her husband had a gun.
                                Last edited by Nospam; 09-18-2007, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎