Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Clark had told Lex his secret way back? Would things be different?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay so I have two theories, but both end of the same. Lex said that he still loved Clark like a brother but it had to end that way at the end of season 7. Yes, he may have been influenced by brainiac but it really didn't take much more than a push. If their friendship was meant to last it would have survived that. Lex wanted power. If he killed his father with resentment for his favor toward Clark there isn't much else that could stop him. I'd really like to believe that they could be friends if someone had just given Lex the chance but he had ulterior motives the entire time. Which is why I won't share my second theory and have decided not to share the first.

Comment

If Lex had known about Clark much earlier, I think the rest of the story might have paralleled the Xavier/Magneto relationship from the X-Men movies. A mutual respect together with a sad resignation that their different beliefs will strain their friendship, put them on opposite sides and eventually pit them against one another. In fact, the show displayed it in much the same way both in 'Arctic' and the finale.

Incidentally, Magneto's respectful tribute to Xavier in The Last Stand ("Charles Xavier did more for mutants than you will ever know. My single greatest regret is that he had to die for our dream to live.") is probably the best quote in that series. The other films in the original trilogy were much better but the third film had the best line.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
        I don't entirely agree. Clark did believe in Lex so many times. He knew of multiple investigations Lex did on him & his family and still remained his friend for a while.

2. Lex would go back to Luthorcorp and would eventually exploit Clark and do stuff that would conflict with Clark's morals. We saw Lex having a chance to give up Luthorcorp twice--once in Prodigal when it was taken away from him and again in Lexmas. Both times, he could not stay without Luthorcorp. In Prodigal, he finally had the Kents & the family life Clark wanted, yet left anyway. That shows that working there is important to him. Another big thing that they revealed about Jonathan in Fanatic & would be definitely true about Lex is how Jonathan wanted to be a role model for Clark (who saves people on such a large scale) and stepped it up and ran for state senate to prove it to Clark as Chloe said. The same is true of Lex. If he would have been told of Clark's secret, he would want to join him by doing the only thing he could--using Luthorcorp resources. And we know what usually happens when he does that. Eventually, he would want to help in his own way and use his twisted sense of right/wrong to do things that Clark would disagree with. In many ways, I wish they did have Lex learn his secret and have their fallout be based on Lex using unethical methods to battle against evil alongside Clark that Clark would disagree with, causing Lex to become evil himself. That would have been so much better than what they did with Lana.
        THIS.

I hated that Lana was even a part of the reason why Lex turned evil. That was just so lame.

I would've prefered a more organic way, like Clark and Lex disagreeing on how to combat evil one time too many. And Lex became a monster fighting the monsters himself, because he honestly thought that in this instance fighting fire with fire was the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
          I hated that Lana was even a part of the reason why Lex turned evil. That was just so lame.
          Its a classic narrative, found in Shakespeare and all kinds of other stories. The hero and villain wind up on opposite sides because they fight over love. The hero tries to be selfless, while the villain wants possession, usually out of spite...and the fight consumes them both.

I do think, however, that Clark escaped that by having Lois in his corner. She became his new foundation, and Lex had only himself after Lana left.

Comment

I get what they were trying to go for... but on a show like Smallville, it just came off as pointless juvenile melodrama instead of being this meaningful symbolism that everyone understood.

It just came off as more of the same old CLANA drama taken to new heights with Lex as the fuse that would blow it all up. Some shows can pull off that classical narrative, but Smallville wasn't one of them. It's a good show at times, but with all the teen-aged superhero drama I don't think it was meant to be Shakespeare.

Lana shouldn't have been the one to break up the "legendary friendship". It should have been the two boys growing up into men who had drastically different viewpoints on life to the point that they could no longer get along.

Comment

There was some of the maturity you're talking about, but one thing which held that back was the show constantly being threatened with cancellation after Season 6. As a result, Clark would get very close to being a full adult, only to regress in the next season's premiere. The writers even said they fashioned two endings per season in those final years, because they never knew if they'd get more episodes.

Comment

Would things be different? Sure, Lex would've known Clark's secret. Events would've played out differently, but the endgame would've been the same. Look at Lex and Dustin in "Reunion". They were best friends. However, after they caught Oliver and his friends steal the answers to a test, Lex wanted to blackmail Oliver. When Duncan refused, Lex became violent and had to be pulled off him. That was years before he ever met Clark. Had he known Clark's secret, there would've only been a matter of time before he'd want to use Clark's abilities (ex. x-ray vision and superhearing) to spy on business rivals, maybe Lionel. Clark would've refused, ending their friendship. Potentially violently, with Lex taking out green K and trying to beat Clark into submission.

Not to mention, having first hand information could've sparked his obsession (about creating defenses against aliens) even more. For much of the series, Jor-El was mistaken as a powerful threat. Had Lex known about Jor-El, and also mistaken his intent for evil, Lex would've fasttracked 33,1 and Project Ares. He would've used Clark's blood (like he did with Titan), to build more super soldiers. At least two of the ones that he did create went rogue (the fate of the first two is unknown). Imagine what would've happened, if Lex had managed to create hundreds or thousands, all going rogue.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎