No announcement yet.

Capacity For Good: The Last Son

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't worried, but now, well...

Okay. I'm going to go on the record and say that if Clark dies AGAIN I'm going to have a mental breakdown because I don't think I could handle it. I like this story's Clark better than SV's Clark.

And if that doesn't work I don't know what will.

Comment

In the words of the immortal Barney this story is Gen....wait for it....ius!!

FFF

Comment

Can't wait to see what happens.

Comment

Ooh I forgot to mention before- I LOVED the scene with Jonathan. I really miss him on the show!!! I wish he'd make a guest appearance sometime before the show ends...

Comment

Originally posted by FireFlyFan
            In the words of the immortal Barney this story is Gen....wait for it....ius!!
            Do you mean Barney Barney, as in the purple dinosaur? Why don't I remember that from my toddler days at all?

Comment

Originally posted by that girl
              Do you mean Barney Barney, as in the purple dinosaur? Why don't I remember that from my toddler days at all?
              No that would be Barney a.k.a. Neil Patrick Harris from tvs How I Met Your Mother, Mondays at 8pm on CBS. Check your local listings for availability.

FFF

Comment

Originally posted by FireFlyFan
                No that would be Barney a.k.a. Neil Patrick Harris from tvs How I Met Your Mother, Mondays at 8pm on CBS. Check your local listings for availability.

FFF
                Okay. See, I've never seen How I Met Your Mother. I'm glad I haven't forgotten something huge from my childhood then.

Comment

Originally posted by that girl
                  Okay. See, I've never seen How I Met Your Mother. I'm glad I haven't forgotten something huge from my childhood then.
                  The only words I remember from Barney the purple dinosaur go something like
                  "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family, with a great big hug, and a kiss from me to you; won't you say you love me too!!"

Don't you dare ask me how I remember that.

Comment

We need an update

Comment

Agree with Dranco, we need an update!!!!!

Comment

El Dude, not many writers can make me cry just reading a story....you are so good! I look forward to more!

Comment

Originally posted by clois_lover10
                          The only words I remember from Barney the purple dinosaur go something like
                          "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family, with a great big hug, and a kiss from me to you; won't you say you love me too!!"

Don't you dare ask me how I remember that.
                          Don't worry, I think most people remember that, although not many will admit it.

El Dude, we're talking about Barney for goodness sake, I think we're in dire need of an update.

Comment

El Dude, as a belated birthday present, please update!!! Although today would be just as good, as it is my grandma's birthday in addition to being International Lefthander's Day (I'm a lefty).

Comment

Need an update. PLEASE!!!

Thanks,

Comment

Chapter 4

It was insane.

What’s more, she knew it was insane.

Nonetheless, here she found herself driving full tilt for Smallville in the dead of night, and why? Because of a dream, some heat lightning and a weird feeling.

‘You’ve finally flipped your lid, Lane,’ Clark’s voice taunted her softly. ‘That’s what comes from bottling up grief; sooner or later, the cork blows.’

“Shut up,” Lois hissed, realizing that talking to herself wasn’t a good sign either. She leaned forward and peered up through the windscreen at the dark clouds, alive with sparks. The car juddered, tyres screeching as she snapped back to attention and straightened her path.

‘This is insane,’ Lois told herself again, shaking her head. She should turn the car around and head straight home. She didn’t; just kept on driving. Her stomach rolled with nerves, as well as something else. She didn’t know what to call it.

The world flashed white suddenly, a fork of lightning stabbing down into the road ahead. Lois screamed, twisting the wheel reflexively, crashing into the roadside field and ploughing through stalks of corn. Lifting herself from her seat, she stood on the brake with her whole weight as if she could stop the car by force of will. The car finally slid to a halt, leaving Lois panting and breathless. She stepped out of the car, recognizing something awfully familiar about it all. The odd feeling in her stomach grew stronger; excitement, anticipation,…

‘Hope.’ The word came to her suddenly. ‘Even the smallest of hopes is a good thing.’

Once again, the world flared in front of Lois, this time knocking her off her feet as the lightning sparked. She quickly picked herself up and peered into the darkness, trying to quieten her breathing and listen.

“Is anybody out here?” she asked. “Hello?”

She leaned through the car window and turned the ignition key; the headlights flared immediately, cutting a path of light through the thicket. The corn began to rustle, and a large, dark shape made its way towards the light. Lois was suddenly afraid. She swallowed hard, forcing herself to speak.

“Clark?”

The man emerged from the corn, and the last thing she saw was a flash of bright silver before she did the girliest thing she’d ever done in her life.

Lois Lane fainted.

“Nothing’s wrong,” Chloe said into her cellphone. “I just…I don’t know, I wanted to hear your voice. I didn’t wake you, did I? What time is it there?…You don’t have to do that, if you don’t want to come…Honestly? I miss you somethin’ awful…I’ll see you soon…I love you, too.”

Richard was getting on the next available flight; at least now, she had something to look forward to. She went to the kitchen sink and dumped half a mug of cold coffee, then turned back to look at the woman curled up on the couch. Martha Kent had suffered more heartache than anyone deserved, especially someone like her, and tomorrow, she'd likely have to pretend concerned hope for her missing son. She shivered in her sleep; Chloe tiptoed over and gently tugged the blanket a little higher. ‘We’ll get her through this, Clark,’ she silently promised her friend.

A faint thud overhead drew Chloe’s eyes upwards. The silence settled on her like a chill, and all of a sudden, she was very aware of being alone in the house; Ben had gone home to pick up some clothes and overnight stuff. She picked up a poker from the fire and slowly walked up the stairs.

“Hello?” she called as she stood on the landing, feeling vaguely like the cheerleader from a bad horror movie. Floorboards creaked, and Chloe felt her heart somersault in her chest; Clark’s room. She reached for the handle, seemingly in unbearable slow motion. The light from the hallway angled into the room, noir-style. And there, lying on the bed where she’d been gently placed…was Lois.

“What the hell?”

“Chloe.”

The whisper touched her ear. She spun around, feeling the draft at her back, and tiptoed quickly and quietly downstairs, wielding the poker. "Hello?" she called again. “You know, this isn’t funny.”

“Chloe”

The draft again, this time the back door clicking shut. Chloe ran to the door and peered out the window. A soft light glowed up from the loft; she couldn’t remember if the lights had been left on, and she caught her breath as a dull shadow of movement passed over the loft ceiling.

“What the hell am I doing?” Chloe muttered as she traipsed through the pitch dark to the barn, heart beating in her throat. “I should just call the sheriff…”

“Chloe”

There it was again; a breath of air, an almost familiar whisper next to her ear. She didn’t want to admit to what she was thinking. It was bizarre, crazy, impossible. Still, in her experience, Smallville was the right place for all of those things.

She entered the barn, still in need of repairs. The roof still had a gaping hole in it, and Clark’s former loft was virtually shattered, the stairs impassable. She felt her throat close again; this was where it had started. The beginning of the end.

“Chloe.”

She turned at the sound of her name, swinging the poker wildly. It was caught and pulled from her grasp, her eyes widening.

“Oh, my God…”

“Martha.”

The woman flinched, blearing her eyes open and focusing on Chloe crouched down in front of her. “What time is it?”

“Late,” the blonde answered. “Or early, depending on how you look at it.”

“What’s the matter, honey?”

“Come out to the barn with me.”

“The barn?” Martha shot her a baffled frown. “What for?”

“I have something to show you,” she said. “You’ll like it.”

“I don’t feel up to going out there just yet, Chloe.”

“I promise, you’re gonna love this,” she replied, holding her hand out to the older woman. “Trust me.”

She looked up at Chloe; the girl had the widest grin on her face Martha had ever seen, and was practically jumping out of her boots.

“Alright.” She took her hand and pulled herself up off the couch. “But this had better be good.”

“Oh, it is,” she said, barely able to contain her excitement. “See, he didn’t want to scare you, so he asked me to fetch you.”

“Who asked you…?”

Lois shocked awake, a sense of falling twitching all her limbs. She propped up on her elbows, looking around the room. For a moment, she felt like she could cry; it was a dream, a cruel treachery of her own brain, borne of grief and insomnia.

‘Then how did you get here?’ she asked herself, staring down at her stockinged feet. ‘And who took your shoes off?’

She wiggled her feet into her sneakers, splashed cold water on her face and neck and went downstairs. Everything was quiet; a surreal air hung around the house, like that early morning feeling of being the last person on Earth. Her feet carried her out the back door without telling the rest of her where they were going. Grumbling thunder rolled as she drew closer to the barn, and the skies cracked open; from experience, Lois knew that a Kansas rainstorm could drop from the sky without warning. She was quickly soaked to the skin, and knew she should go back inside, but still the barn drew her on.

Lois heard voices, talking low in conversation, and as she drew slowly around the corner, passing wide of the barn, her eyes first picked out her cousin, Martha and Ben Hubbard, sipping coffee, looking and talking into the corner past her eyeline.

Chloe spotted her first, a smile crossing her face. “Lois!”

Lois peered to the side; her heart pounded as she caught sight of a tall man with a broad back and dark wavy hair, wearing jeans and a familiar letterman jacket. The others stepped back as he seemed to register the sound of her name. As he turned, the voice in Lois told her that it couldn’t be, her mind was playing tricks; still, that small hope leaped in her chest. His hair was just-washed shaggy, he didn’t have his glasses on. He beamed, green eyes sparkling at the sight of her, and for a moment, they were teenagers again. They met halfway, lips crashing together in the rain as he wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed away three days of unbearable heartache.

“I thought you were gone,” she gasped.

“I came back,” he smiled against her mouth.

“Never leave again, Smallville.”

“Never,” Clark shook his head, rain plastering his hair to his scalp and rolling down his face. “Never, ever…never.”

End of Chapter 4
                                Last edited by El Duderino; 08-03-2008, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎