Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Erica a Good Lois Lane?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erica was a great Lois, but I did get the feeling that the writers didn't like her very much because that meant the end of Clana and screen-time for Lana Lang. To me that's the only way to explain how in some episodes they seemed to make fun of her in what was a rather offensive way.

I still can't shake the feeling that if the writers had their way and weren't going by comic book canon, then they would had found ways to completely discredit Lois Lane as an love interest and just have Clark marry Lana instead.

Comment

• And that would have been an awful thing.

Even as they were portrayed on the show, Clark and Lana had completely different views on life and the world that surrounds them.

Comment

• I thought Erica did great with the material she was given. A lot of it came to bad writing, but I'd probably put her as my 2nd favorite Lois Lane. They did a bad job with her in her first couple seasons where they tried to basically just make her a sex object. I think in later seasons (while they still did the sex object thing) they let her personality come out a little more and gave the character depth. I'll say at least I thought she was better than Kate Bosworth or Amy Adams. To me she came off as fierce, independent, but also loveable and at times vulnerable.

And enough can not be said about how much damage they did to her with the last Lana story. They basically made it that Lois was sloppy seconds because Clark literally couldn't be with Lana. I did get the sense that some of the writers like Clana better because of it's history and felt like they were "forced" to put Clark and Lois together, even if I think Tom and Erica had much better chemistry together and Clana felt like a pairing that worked for maybe one season and then they just kept trying to put them together despite it not really working.
        Last edited by Tabularasa; 08-07-2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• I don't really see her being made into a sex object. Everything considered the show was pretty tame and all of the major women on the show were able (or were made, depending on how you look at it) to show off their sexy side. Lois found herself in no more sexy situations than say Lana (think Nicodemus, Slumber) and Chloe (think Rush, Devoted) and even Alicia was hitting a two out of three (Obsession, Unsafe).

[img]http://vignette2.*****.nocookie.net/smallville/images/8/88/Sv314ClarkAlicia.jpg[/img] (Nipple alert! )

Lois was also not in more relationships or sexual encounters while on the show. Lois lost her virginity to Wes at some point before the show (remember she's one year older than the rest). Chloe lost hers in the summer before season 2. If you take the circumstancial evidence and even hold conflicting versions of events against her, she's slept with four people: Wes Keenan, Oliver (per season 6 they didn't, per season 7 they did), Gabriel/Julian (though never confirmed) and Clark. If you consider her statement in Siren as paraphrasing and her relationship with Gabriel as exactly what you saw on the screen, the number goes down to two.
          Clark, Lana and Chloe slept with two confirmed people.

Lois was also fiercely loyal right from the get-go. She came to Smallville to get justice for her cousin's "murder". Even when Lucy had brought this all down on them, Lois was willing to sacrifice herself for Lucy ("Let my sister go. You don't need both of us."). She stood up for Jonathan to that slimey campaign manager. And up to that point she only had a mere 17 episodes under her belt, most of them not being about her in the first place.
          Last edited by DJ Doena; 08-07-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ Doena
            I don't really see her being made into a sex object. Everything considered the show was pretty tame and all of the major women on the show were able (or were made, depending on how you look at it) to show off their sexy side. Lois found herself in no more sexy situations than say Lana (think Nicodemus, Slumber) and Chloe (think Rush, Devoted) and even Alicia was hitting a two out of three (Obsession, Unsafe).
            Lois had more of these situations is what I'm saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tabularasa
              And enough can not be said about how much damage they did to her with the last Lana story. They basically made it that Lois was sloppy seconds because Clark literally couldn't be with Lana. I did get the sense that some of the writers like Clana better because of it's history and felt like they were "forced" to put Clark and Lois together, even if I think Tom and Erica had much better chemistry together and Clana felt like a pairing that worked for maybe one season and then they just kept trying to put them together despite it not really working.
              I agree with this SO much!

Comment

• What chemistry since there was no chemistry between Tom and Erica and they too boring and should of remain friends.

Comment

• She's just an absolute joy to watch.

Up until season 8, Lois was only a bit-part character and wasn't required to do much more besides be funny, snarky and hot. As a result, Lois' more emotional moments until season 7 didn't quite work. Then Erica had that scene in Siren where she showed she could do emotional vulnerability and it didn't come off as forced at all, because Erica sold it so well with her eyes.

And that is something that became more and more apparent from season 8, because Erica sold so many emotional moments with her eyes, and at the same time it was still the brash Lois that we all know.

Erica was fortunate to be given more work with a back story to develop Lois into the go-getter reporter of Daily Planet fame, as opposed to already being that figure like every other live-action Lois has been, but to my mind she is the best Lois Lane to have been portrayed. I've read a lot of people rate Dana Delany's animated take and while I've not seen it, I think it still has to be said that you can't really gauge a full performance from an animated take because you can only based your view on how well the voice acting is done rather than the entire performance.

Comment

• She's absolutely fantastic. Unlike the other live action versions of Lois, Erica's had to display a history pre-DP and pre-Superman and it allowed the character more story than would otherwise have been the case. Erica had the attitude, the beauty and the humour down early on, and added even more beauty plus huge emotional depth and vulnerability. To my mind, she is the new yardstick for what a live action Lois Lane should be.

Comment

• Even Tom has said at an interview at one point that he would rather work [again] with Erica instead of Kristin as a love interest because they had more Chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎