Superman, Killer...? (merged)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

superman killed lex in alt. universe

Comment

Titan fell on his own 'sword'. Clark did not kill him.

Comment

Not only was it accidental but Titan isn't even human so it's ok.

Comment

just because he wanted to kill him does not mean that he did,he hit titan and he landed on the spike

Comment

Originally posted by HowardFilms
            Yeah, well Bats is actually way more anti-killing than anyone.

Superman's killed plenty when necessary, Wonder Woman killed in cold blood for heavens sake, and let's not get started on Hal Jordan, lol.
            But seems like Batman has no qualms in leaving the bad guys to their deaths, like in BB (don't know about the comics). Doesn't that constitute indirectly killing someone?

Though Clark on SV also has no problems leaving people to die, like in Trespass.

Comment

Even though Clark was fighting & someone died, it doesn't contradict with his "no killing" attitude as Superman. For one thing, he saves a lot more human lives by getting rid of the "zoners", & this time could definitely count as self defense. With the remorse he was showing for having had the feelings of rage, I think we can see his character as Superman developing. With the zoners who aren't phantoms, killing them is the only way to get rid of them...
              Martian Manhunter killed the bone eater, remember? He is one character who has always been in the Justice League, so sometime soon he'll have to meet up with "Green Arrow", "Flash" (or "Impulse" - whatever), "Aquaman", & "Cyborg" (who was actually in the "Titans", but we can overlook that).

Comment

I think this was important to get to that point where he decides not to kill. And I wouldn't say he killed Titan- live by the pointy stick, die by the pointy stick... which brings a question...

If Titan was a kryptonian, then what was the stick made out of?

Comment

Titan's falling on his own weapon is a technicality. Clark goes to a fight club -- where combatants fight to the death -- with the intention of facing Titan. And when Chloe objects that Clark could die, he says, "Not if I kill him first." I don't think Clark was working on too many contingency plans. Maybe he's already thought through his other options, but I would've liked to see him talk to Chloe or Oliver and look for ways to dispose of Zoners without killing them. Maybe it'd be a lost cause, but I think that we need to see that violence is not Clark's first choice.

Titan may not be human, but he is a sentient being, so Clark is right in regretting his death. He's one of the few Zoners who doesn't say he's out for revenge -- he's portrayed as a warrior who's interested only in the thrill of the fight.

Titan seems depraved and a bit mentally slow, but the real bad guy is Maddox, who's exploiting the meteor freaks/criminally insane at Belle Reve and profiting off their deaths. Clark could have worked to shut down the fight club and deliver everyone involved to the authorities (minus Titan, of course, who'd have to be dealt with personally). Instead, Maddox ends up dead and everyone else scatters. That's not quite the justice Superman should aim for. I'm glad Clark is finally stepping up to the plate and taking notice of the outside world, but he still has some growing up to do.

(By the way, Titan is from the Phantom Zone but not necessarily Kryptonian, so the stick could've been made out of anything. Of course, as we've seen in "Talisman," Kryptonian knives and such are capable of cutting Clark, so the weapon could be potentially harmful to Titan even if he were.)

Comment

Re: Superman, Killer...?

Originally posted by Tropicaltalent
                    THis is now way off the beaten track...? Isn't it?
                    1) Clark didn't kill him, Titan fell on his own stabbing...thing...when Clark was fighting him.

2) Clark felt remorse even though a) Titan was a cold blooded killer, and b) Clark didn't even technically kill him.

3) Titan is an alien with super powers nearly matching Clark's. Superman has killed super-villains that were threatening humanity before, this isn't a first.

Comment

I can't believe how many disallusioned people out there.

The fact is, that both Titan and Clark were in that cage to kill, and a death happened. Clark indeed killed Titan. I'm just happy he felt remorse and that there was no other way to protect mankind from Titan. It is immaterial that Titan landed on his own spike.

Comment

Originally posted by All about Clark
                        I can't believe how many disallusioned people out there.

The fact is, that both Titan and Clark were in that cage to kill, and a death happened. Clark indeed killed Titan. I'm just happy he felt remorse and that there was no other way to protect mankind from Titan. It is immaterial that Titan landed on his own spike.
                        Ah but it isn't immaterial. Titan landed on his own spike for a reason. That reason is basically just a device to say that Clark has never intentionally killed anyone, but it still happened for that reason. Intentions are a big part of the whole thing.

Comment

Re: Re: Superman, Killer...?

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
                          1) Clark didn't kill him, Titan fell on his own stabbing...thing...when Clark was fighting him.

2) Clark felt remorse even though a) Titan was a cold blooded killer, and b) Clark didn't even technically kill him.

3) Titan is an alien with super powers nearly matching Clark's. Superman has killed super-villains that were threatening humanity before, this isn't a first.
                          The only time I remember superman killing anyone coldly, would be those phantom zone prisoners, and most of the fanbase hates the story anyway. But generally speaking superman doesn't kill anyone,no matter how dangerous, he even saved Darkseid a few times. none the less clark didn't kill Titan, if he did, then we would have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
                            Ah but it isn't immaterial. Titan landed on his own spike for a reason.
                            Yeah, and that reason was to mess with all of your heads.

If Clark wasn't prepared to kill, he wouldn't have been there.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Superman, Killer...?

Originally posted by WangTang
                              The only time I remember superman killing anyone coldly, would be those phantom zone prisoners, and most of the fanbase hates the story anyway. But generally speaking superman doesn't kill anyone,no matter how dangerous, he even saved Darkseid a few times. none the less clark didn't kill Titan, if he did, then we would have a problem.
                              Superman has killed super-villains in the comics before, you'd have to ask the comic buffs for specific references. I'm not talking about in Smallville, but yes Clark has killed Zoners before, and that is in line with Superman killing supervillains in the past. Killing is usually only used if it happens by accident or there is no other way to destroy or eliminate the threat, but it has happened. So far Clark on Smallville has only killed either by accident or by it happening in the heat of battle with a super-villain that was unstoppable otherwise.

Titan was a bit different in that Clark was actually looking for a fight and Titan wasn't really trying to kill innocents (after all people in the Fight Club seemed to want to be there) but once again it does seem to line up with the no-killing thing due to it's accidental nature.

Originally posted by All about Clark
                              Yeah, and that reason was to mess with all of your heads.

If Clark wasn't prepared to kill, he wouldn't have been there.
                              The reason, as I've said, is as an out for the writers. This way they can say Clark has never intentionally killed someone that wasn't threatening humanity. Or maybe it's to "mess with our heads" because the writers are just awful and want to screw with the audience. that makes a lot more sense.

Like I said, it was a clear plot-device and an out for the writers. It had nothing to do with messing with anyone's head.
                              Last edited by MidgardDragon; 03-22-2007, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Actually Im more worried about why he was hurting criminal when in reality he was using them as punching bags to release his frustration about the Lexana wedding.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎