Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hate It? What did you think of Combat?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: Re: Re: combat was terrible

Originally posted by jack1487
    I aagree with you and you hit the nail on the head..

Jack
    Thanks, Jack, for your support of my interpretation of what happened in "Combat". It's too bad that some others didn't read my input and reconsidered even a little to re-evaluate the episode. I personally read so many of other's comments on this forum so that I could 'connect' with those who I hope would have similar tastes in entertainment as I do. However, since SMALLVILLE is based on a DC Comics character, many of the very young participants who frequent this forum DO relish the "Action" and "Violence" that's often portrayed in Superhero adventures. It's typical, but I also love Action/Adventure movies and it's always a thrill to see the "Bad Guys" taken down by the "Good Guys" in every story. I don't ever like violence for violence sake, or simply because some writers think it's needed to spice up a story. I just like a happy ending where our familiar characters don't get killed, and someone comes to the rescue. In our violent society today, too many people are innocent victims who had no rescuer in sight to deliver them from an unfortunate demise. A Peaceful society is a Dream many of us hope for. Obviously, NOT All of us do, because we do live in a world that boldly displays our lack of civilization. However, a line has been drawn, and there are those who seek violence and live violently and those who've made the CHOICE to be Peacemakers. It's a fact. TV is a true reflection of our society. It's only 'make-believe', and those who try to entertain us feel that they must continue to push the edge of the envelope of the thrill to hold our attention, but sadly, the true horror is that reality is worse.
    Shows like Smallville present to us a Moral compass. In "Combat", Titan/Kane was a living being, true, but he was 'Bred' for Battle and Killing by scientists on an alien world. If he'd been shown mercy, he wouldn't have understood it, and many innocents would have died for his sport. Many humans would've died while Titan tried to satisfy his hunger for killing among a race of people who were no physical match for him. Clark, with his Kryptonian heritage, was equipped with the ability to defend the defenseless. For me, Titan's 'accidental' death was justified.
    Last edited by Imzadia; 04-27-2007, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• 8, because it was a little too vilent but very good. I was scared for Clark

Comment

• I gave this episode an eight, but only because Lois didn't kiss the security guard! What a great way to show us her prowess and future potential as a reporter! Chloe would never go that far for a story!

As for Clark regressing? I'm sure all young adults have done that from time to time...even the man of steel is allowed to show his true emotions! Good or bad!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAILEYPLANETREPORTER
          I gave this episode an eight, but only because Lois didn't kiss the security guard! What a great way to show us her prowess and future potential as a reporter! Chloe would never go that far for a story!

As for Clark regressing? I'm sure all young adults have done that from time to time...even the man of steel is allowed to show his true emotions! Good or bad!
          Great points made and observations about a still maturing Clark Kent/'future' Superman. I also see Lois as you do...I think. I love the way they're writing her now. We see that she's always been impetuous, but tenacious and driven. She holds firm to her integrity and she's determined to fight for and protect those who need rescuing. She's not fearless, but she's brave and won't back down. She's strong And strong-willed, quick-witted and won't bite her tongue...which of course, is almost constantly in motion. She's honing her own abilities and really beginning to display the characteristics that will earn her the reputation of the Lois Lane of reknown. She is just about the best 'role model' any young person could have and god, I love her! (I'm sure you can tell by my praising rant.)

Comment

• This os my review hope you like it

i thought it was a great episode it has one of favorite wwe wrestlers kane.it also have a girl wrestler ashley.i like the big fight whith clark and the other guy.i also like louis jumps on the guy.i like when lois fights the girl.lois is funny sometimes.i like chloe helping clark. Ok thats my review hope you like it

Comment

• Combat was great for several reasons

Yea, several:
              1. The raw violence. Never before seen Clark so angry and so willing to act out on his anger. Not without Red K.
              2. Titan. How could you not like a monster like that? "Say goodbye, Kryptonian."
              3. Ashley Massaro. Sexy thugs rule!
              4. Lois in her red patent leather outfit.
              5. The spilled coffee scene. Priceless.
              6. Clark throwing that guy around simply to get his attention.
              I could go on.

Comment

• This is a great episode.My 3 on my top 3.Liked the fight,how clark was pissed and lana "miscarrage"

Comment

• "Time to die Kryptonian!" Titan

10! Why? Clark fighting Titan- scene. 'Nuff said.

But seriously...episodes that picture Clark fighting to the last are something that are needed in this show. When you have The Man Of Steel you really need him to a round or two every once in a while. Loved the fight, the combatants, their costumes, the cage scenery and the raw power that showed these two titans fighting to the last. Superman shouldn't kill but against villains like Doomsday there really is no other choice. I think Titan was the same and Clark really doesn't even kill him directly. When the brute goes down I had no sympathy for him. Especially tossing Lois around.

Speaking of Lois, episodes that show her ability to search and get a peek of scoobs are always welcome. Fort Ryan (mentioned also in S4 "Gone") was an excellent way to mention Lois's past as an "army prat" as she calls it. Her way of finding a way into a tough spot and Clark saving him is always iconic and welcome. Though I have to give Lois credit for playing with Athena or whatshernameagain in a very insinuating scene. The cat fight was also welcome even if it was fast but that kick was so cool.

I also liked the scene in the parking lot of Belle Reve where Clark gave away his secret...yeah it was stupid but the scene was handled so well. Loved how he catched the bullet and convincing Maddox he is the real deal.

Lana's "miscarrage" sub-plot was also nice contrast to the episode. It was dark too but alittle more traditional Smallville in a way.

Finally I loved Clark going against Lois for a while and Lois punching the Man Of Steel. But really...Lois looked so damn good in that red latex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pandora24
                    Did anyone think the episode went by way too fast? I blinked and it was over. I gave the episode a 7/10. It wasn't great, but I wasn't bored and I didn't leave with the need to beat Clark over the head.

The Good

I loved Clark not holding back in the fight scenes. It was awesome seeing him rip into someone who was a match for him. He was pissed at losing Lana and he needed to vent. What better way than to do that on Kane, who proved to be a decent match?

Clark's proactive attitude in this episode and him working with the JL. I didn't even mind his "Kal-El" attitude, and him trying to focus more on the fact that he's not human to block his pain from the Lex/Lana marriage. He was dealing with his emotions in a way that doesn't involve him moping and sitting around the house, and I'm all for that.

At the end, when Lana's sitting in the baby room with that blank/devastated look on her face. I thought that was good. That's the only scene in this episode where I actually felt sympathy for her loss.

Seeing Lois fight, yay Lois! Lois going to the scene in her tight red outfit seems to confuse some, but wasn't her cover that of a stripper whose car had broken down or something? So, her outfit wasn't that out of place...

As for taking Chloe's story...I honestly don't see it that. She was acting out her instincts as a reporter. She didn't go snooping in Chloe's computer (although I'm sure the thought crossed her mind). Instead, she got the information from the picture in the trash can (convenient though it was how she was able to figure things out) and ran with it. She didn't steal Chloe's notes or her story. She found a tip ( in the trashcan)and went for it. Sounds like a reporter to me. I don't see what Lois did as "stealing" Chloe's story, I see it as the first signs of Lois's reporter instincts coming out. How many times did Lois do the same thing for the Daily Planet in Lois & Clark? She's probably done it in the comics too. Lois isn't shy about treading the ethical line between getting the story and getting into someone else's business...most investigative reporters aren't.

The Not So Good

While I enjoyed seeing a good fight scene, and I enjoyed Clark going after the zoners and not moping over Lana, I do agree that his motivations were somewhat less heroic. I know Clark's doing a good thing by rounding up criminals and going after the phantom zoners, and I'm all for that, but he was taking out his anger on the meteor people. It kinda reminds me of the cop who has had a bad day and uses more force than necessary on the captured suspect. Sure, they are criminals, but that doesn't mean you can pound on them just to vent your anger. Notice how I said meteor freaks and not Kane. Kane totally needed a beat-down.

Lana's miscarriage--Eh. Whatever. The baby wasn't doing anything for the story other than giving Lex something to experiment on. So, I'm okay that it's gone. Up until this episode, Lana showed no motherly concerns about her baby. It was all about her conflicted emotions towards Clark and Lex. So, even though I really felt her emotions in that last scene with Lex, it would've had more impact if I had seen Lana's love for her child in previous episodes. Cuz seriously, I haven't seen it all.

Clark killing the zoner. I'm not going to spazz over the whole "but Superman doesn't kill" issue b/c I honestly believe that there are situations that require it. And, Superman has killed before in the comics when there's absolutely no other choice that Superman can see as someone else mentioned as well. Unfortunately, I don't think this episode was one of those times. If Clark was really all about accepting his destiny, he would be back at the FoS getting tips from Jor-El on how to get rid of the Zoners. So, I didn't really feel for his "conflict" about killing Kane. He really was just pissed off and trying to distract himself from recent events.

Finally, that little bit at the end where Clark is telling Martha he needs to find out how and why Lana chose Lex over him. Nope, I didn't like that at all. Loved how Martha told him to let her go, and I wish Clark had shown some sign that he would. Man, I hope he moves on. Go after the zoners, go after 33.1, go after Lex, but let Lana go.
                    I agree. She never thought about her baby when she was going run off with Clark. This was the only time she cared. WTF?
                    Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 12-11-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• There are so many things I could trash about this episode.....first of all being the music. The music was horrendous in most of the scenes. I mean absolutely god awful. It overpowered the scene and drove me nuts. The second is the bad acting. Of the guest stars I mean. Athena was so bad in the opening scene it was cringe worthy. Also the announcer was pretty underwhelming when he was doing his thing in the microphone. He just seemed like a nut job to me. The almost Lois/Athena kiss was a stupid and pointless scene. It was pretty uncomfortable to watch. Oh look Clark is moping again and the failed pregnancy seems like a cop-out.

BUT

THE CLARK/TITAN FIGHT WAS OFF THE HOOK!!!!! Man I love this episode just for that fight which is the best fight EVER on SV (well it does have competition with the Clark/Zod fight in Salvaton).

8 out of 10 - because of the fight!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by super_j_man
                        There are so many things I could trash about this episode.....first of all being the music. The music was horrendous in most of the scenes. I mean absolutely god awful. It overpowered the scene and drove me nuts. The second is the bad acting. Of the guest stars I mean. Athena was so bad in the opening scene it was cringe worthy. Also the announcer was pretty underwhelming when he was doing his thing in the microphone. He just seemed like a nut job to me. The almost Lois/Athena kiss was a stupid and pointless scene. It was pretty uncomfortable to watch. Oh look Clark is moping again and the failed pregnancy seems like a cop-out.
                        My opinion of this episode was the opening and closing scenes sucked(ie Clark whining how his life sucks), the middle portion was great. This to me is a perfect example why "filler" is not a bad thing because the episode would have been much much better if it was more standalone and had no tie in to the whole Clexana storyline of Season 6.

Comment

It was a very good episode. Chloe and Clark wanting to look into the illegal cage fighting ring will of course end up with Clark and Lois in a perilous position because Lois ends up investigating the same thing using her own wits. It was telegraphed that they'd end up in the ring together and that provided the one real moment of humour in the episode as Lois nearly breaks her hand trying to punch Clark! The actual fight between Clark and Titan had the requisite brutality, and when Clark lined up his finisher I half expected a "Finish Him!" a la Mortal Kombat because it looked like it was lifted right out of a video game. The Maddox character reminded me of WWE's Jimmy Hart. We did at least see Titan deliver Kane's signature chokeslam on the poor sap who he killed.

Then there's the none more dark aspect of the episode which is Lex's descent into proper evil. What he did to Lana was inexcusable, drugging her to induce her 'miscarriage'. She didn't yet know she wasn't actually pregnant so when she was told she'd lost the baby, her devastation was painfully real. Lana get a lot of criticism on this forum but that is one instance where you cannot deny that Kristin delivers an immense performance. Even Lex is caught by her intensity and he almost breaks down too, not dissimilar to when Lionel had him committed to Belle Reve. Of course, Lex at the end reverts to the villain of the piece and burns evidence of Lana's 'pregnancy'.

When Lana finds out the truth, no way is she going to forgive Lex.

Comment

• Really enjoyed the Clark-Titan fight. Also nice to see Clark being more pro-active, both onscreen and off.

The cage fighting ring was probably inspired by Roulette's The House, from the comics. Of course, she wouldn't appear for another few seasons and given what happens to Maddox, that is a good thing. They made the right choice, by using an original character, rather than using a canon DC character as a throw-away character, who gets killed. A problem with The Flash, a newer show, is that they tend to use canon characters, even for throw-away roles (that do the actual character no justice), like they did with the Shade. It's better to invent their own characters, when they're minor roles and are to be killed off, in their first appearance.

This episode also saw the conclusion of Lana's "pregnancy" storyline. Thought the scene, with her in the nursery, was really dark. It becomes even darker, when you consider that Lex faked the pregnancy. He did it, to get her to marry him and now he's getting rid of it, because it's no longer useful to him. And by doing so, sends Lana to an emotionally dark place. It makes you wonder how he thought this plan was going to work. First he fakes a pregnancy, then he fakes a miscarriage. Something that, no doubt, would cause Lana emotional pain (possibly sending her into a deep depression), that could lead to anything from them getting a divorce to Lana trying to kill herself.

In season 2, they had Martha getting pregnant, which ended with a miscarriage. So, this was the second time, that the writers introduced a pregnancy among the main character, but didn't go anywhere with the baby. Like I've noted elsewhere, there were potential in both pregnancies. Of course, in Martha's case, it may have had to do with the fact that Clark's never having had a sibling in the comics. So, if they had allowed Martha to give birth to the child, it would've gone against the source material (ironically, the newer Arrowverse shows love to add OC siblings).

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎