• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacques
    Oh no you can't stop there.
    OK. I won't.

Chapter the Eighth: Chemistry

Part Four: BOOM!

A/N: Monstrously long this chapter is. And I got really sleepy and tired of looking at it. Please be forgiving and have a giggle. Thanks to all still reading.

The “I Love Lana Lang” Theme Song

Clana erm… Cathy and Heathcliff

Crater Lake sparkled in the sunshine. The air was filled with music, laughter, joyous yelling and spirited conversation. Vehicles were parked up and down the edge of the wood near the lake. The partying would go on well past evening. A few feet away from the swimming and splashing sat Lana Lang. She’d found a relatively dry and shady spot to read her book. Thankful for the wide brimmed hat she’d borrowed from Amber; Lana pulled her hair back with her hands, twisted it and tucked it under the hat. She unbuttoned her white eyelet lace blouse to just above her bra line. Then she slipped off her cute dusty gray ankle boots with bow trim and set them beside her. She rolled up her flared leg jeans to just below her knees and settled in to read.

Lana smoothed her hand over the familiar, worn cover as if caressing a lover. Oh to be the cover of Lana’s book in that moment! - thought several of Lana’s teenaged spies. Licking her lips in anticipation, Lana flipped to the pink ballerina bookmarked page.

“The crosses are for the evenings you have spent with the Lintons, the dots for those spent with me. Do you see? I’ve marked every day.”

“Yes – very foolish; as if I took notice!” replied Catherine in a peevish tone. “And where is the sense of that?”

“To show you that I do take notice,” said Heathcliff.

Lana’s breath caught as she imagined the intensity of Heathcliff’s gaze. Oddly Heathcliff had blue/green eyes very similar to Clark Kent’s. She could see the dark gleam in his eye and the answering super close up on Catherine’s face (which looked remarkably like Lana’s own) as she sneered at Heathcliff’s careful tally. Lana pressed her thighs together and swallowed as her eyes devoured the words on the page.

All too soon the spell was broken by Lana Lang’s wet and giggling girlfriends. Lana squinted as the water flung from her friends’ swinging hair splashed her. Lana quickly set her book out of harm's way. The girls were dragging an incredibly handsome boy over to Lana’s reading area. Bree, Amber, Tiffany and Tasha dumped the boy at Lana’s feet, straightened their bikinis and all began talking at once.

“His name is Danny Blaine!” “…actor…” “…track team…” “plays drums” “TOTALLY HOT!!!” “…free for Lori’s party…” “told him you’re dateless…” “…tried to play it cool…” “SO INTO YOU LANA!!!”

The din died down and all four girls were staring at Lana expectantly. Lana sighed. This was the fourth guy they’d tried to hook her up with. She thought that retreating to a quiet area with her book would have given the girls a hint.

“I’m not looking for a date right now. Seriously, stop it.” She gave them a very firm look.

The girls made disappointed sounds (“we should drown Wuthering Heights”) and went back to the water leaving Lana and… Danny alone.

“Sorry about that.” Danny and Lana said at the same time. They smiled at each other awkwardly. He was pretty cute. He had auburn hair that was almost brown. His shoulders and nose were lightly peppered with freckles. He had a strong jaw and nicely chiseled chest.

Lana helped him to his feet.

“You’re not swimming? The water’s great.”

“You’re not the only one they’ve dragged somewhere against their will. I wasn’t planning to come to the lake today.” Lana grinned and shrugged.

“Well, it wasn’t entirely against my will. I did want to meet you Lana. If you change your mind about the party, let me know.”

Lana smiled again and gave a small nod. Mmm… nice backside. As he neared the water’s edge Lana noticed her girl friends watching and giggling. Frowning at them she grabbed her book and shoes and went in search of an even more secluded spot to read in. She soon found a nicely shaped fallen tree branch. She rested her back against it and closed her eyes for a moment, soaking in the sun. Letting out a contented sigh, Lana thumbed open her favorite book, thinking of Clark.

“First and foremost, do you love Mr. Edgar ?”
    “Who can help it ? Of course I do,” Cathy answered.
    “Why do you love him, Miss Cathy?”
    “Nonsense, I do—that's sufficient.”

CRACK! Splish Splash Splish.

With a start, Lana slowly lowered her book. That sound had come from the lake. Eyes wide, she scanned to the softly rippling surface of the lake. Relieved, she let out a breath. Lana chuckled, feeling a little silly. It’s nothing. She shook her head at herself and went back to reading.

“This is nothing,' cried Cathy: ' I was only going to say
    that heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my
    heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels
    were so angry that they flung me out into the middle of the
    heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke
    sobbing for joy. That will do to explain my secret, as well
    as the other. I've no more business to marry Edgar Linton
    than I have to be in heaven ; and if the wicked man in
    there had not brought Heathcliff so low, I shouldn't have
    thought of it. It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff
    now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that,
    not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more
    myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his
    and mine are the same…”

Through the softly rippling water, leaning against a hot rock, absorbing it’s warmth, Sean Kelvin watched Lana Lang. If only he could get close enough to those perfect ivory legs. It had been so long since he’d been out of the lake, sense he’d felt the air. Her warmth would be wonderful. Beneath the water he grinned, his misshapen blue face stretching weirdly.

Lana’s breath caught and her eyes stung with tears as Heathcliff retreated, heart wounded by Cathy’s words. They would be separated forever…

Lana didn’t even have time to scream as cold slimy hands grasped her ankles and dragged her beneath the green surface of the lake. The trees above rustled violently as if in the wind and the dappled sunlight shown over Lana’s beloved copy of “Wuthering Heights.”

Lana as Catherine Earnshaw

Huh?

Newspapers stacked as high as the ceiling all around Chloe forming a small room. There was a small hole cut out for a window and soft green light spilled in through it. Chloe sat on a green silk pillow with golden trim. Her laptop sat open on top of an ornate green box and she rubbed her temples slowly trying to get her thoughts together so she could finish her "Go Green or Else" article for the Daily Planet.

Truth… truth… TRUUUUUTTTTHHHH!

“Shh! I’ve got to get this done. Now where was I?”

Chloe gazed at the screen. The words blurred then came into focused, blurred then came into focus. Chloe closed her eyes tight and when she opened them she was face to face with Lana. Well, it looked like Lana. If Lana were painted green and decided to wear a sort of bathing suit made of leaves… The green Lana hovered a few inches above the ground.

Chloe sighed. “I’m dreaming.”

“Anise, Artemisia, Florence…” whispered green Lana.

“What?”

“Add a little Rose Mellow but stay away from Thu-Joan. She’s mean.”

Green Lana bared her teeth and pain spiked through Chloe’s skull.

“AH!”

She was staring up at a very ornate recessed ceiling complete with crown molding and golden gilding.

Chloe glanced around thrilling at the light and airy elegance of the French blue, gold gilded wallpaper. Her stomach sank when she realized where she was. Chloe sat up and scratched at her arm, discovering that she was hooked up to a couple of medical machines which monitored her heartbeat and who knew what else.

Sure enough a kind faced man in a dark blue suit entered the room. He’d probably detected a change in Chloe’s readings caused by waking up.

“Ah, Miss Sullivan, you’re awake. I’m Dr. Cummins. I will be your physician during your time here at the mansion. You are suffering mild neurological trauma which may escalate as time goes on. Mr. Luthor has ordered a few more tests that require your consent. If you will just sign he-“

“Actually I would like to see Mr. Luthor please.” Chloe hadn’t listened to a word blue suit man said. When it looked as though he was going to protest, she shouted.

“Now! I want to see Lex Luthor now!” He nodded politely and left the room shutting the beautiful door behind him.

Chloe winced as she yanked at the plastic tubes, ripping the tape away from her arm and chest. Flinging back the luxurious bed covers she realized that someone had changed her clothes. She was now wearing a white satin gown. Grinding her teeth she started toward the closet but halted when the door opened behind her. Lex Luthor rushed in with the blue-suited man behind her.

“Chloe, good, you’re awake. Dr. Cummins and I just want to help – “

“You have no right Lex! How dare you take my clothes and hook me up to those machines and test me?!”

“How dare I put you in a bed and call a doctor after you pass out from migraines which may be fatal if left untreated? Be reasonable.”

“You be reasonable Lex. Where are my clothes?!”

“In the closet.”

“She wrenched the door open and there they were, hanging next to a couple of bath robes and clothing bags. Lex put a hand on Chloe’s shoulder which she shrugged away.

“Leave us.” Lex barked at the doctor. Obediently he left.

“Chloe,” Lex continued in a soothing voice, taking her hand and leading her back toward the bed. Lex sat himself and Chloe on bed, away from the medical equipment. “Dr. Cummins has reviewed the files on my father’s project. These headaches are not going to stop. Here at the mansion you’ll be under the care of the best scientists and physicians.”

“Don’t play good Samaritan with me Lex. We both know this has more to do with your father’s secrets than my health.”

“Think what you want Chloe. You need my help. And I need yours. Please, help me.”

Chloe stared at Lex for a moment, his gentleness was creeping her out to the nth degree.

“Lex, why can’t you just walk away?” she said finally. “What do you want from Lionel?”

“I want him to love me.” Chloe caught her breath.

Lex seemed astonished by the admission, then saddened. For the first time, Chloe was tempted to help him stick it to Lionel, conditionally of course.

“Lay down Chloe.” He held the covers back and she obediently laid down. “Fill out these forms and the doctor will be in shortly to prepare you for the tests.”

Chloe took the forms and managed a small smile. Lex had a hungry look in his eyes again for a moment. Then he turned and left, closing the door quietly behind him. Chloe felt a spike of fear. Her headaches had been intense. She glanced at the forms. No. Whatever had happened to her in that lab, she didn’t want to be in Lex Luthor’s hands when she found out the truth.

She sprang out of bed and tossed off her gown. Scrambling into her clothes she breathed a sigh of relief. Her bag was on the floor of the closet. She slipped out of the room and ran blindly down a corridor almost giggling at the idea of running into Lex. Finally she reached an elevator. Pressing the button, she entered. It was heading down.

“Mr. Luthor. Chloe Sullivan is in the East elevator going down to the ground floor and presumably out of the mansion. Should we stop her?”

“No. Bring the car around. I’m going into town.”

As the security hireling exited, Lex looked over at Noah Addams.

“Is the trace on Chloe Sullivan’s car secure?”

“Yes Mr. Luthor. Also, the silent alarm was triggered in Lab 3.”

Not again.

“And?”

“Even on the slowest setting it’s just an indecipherable blur.”

Lex clinched his jaw in frustration.

“One of the lead suits is missing, sir.”

Alicia/Clark Video

Clark Kent grinned as he hoisted the lead suit up on his shoulder. I’m just borrowing it. He told himself in answer to a twinge of guilt. In his backpack were a few science books and sheets of metal from his home planet, Krypton. It had taken Clark forever to collect the tiny shards which had been embedded in the soil of the Kent farm when his spaceship blew up. He had soldered together enough of the strange metal to suit his purposes.

It was very rare that Clark found himself at school on the weekends. There was always work at the farm and he wasn’t involved in any extracurricular activities right now, besides the Torch. Pete usually called dibs on sports columns. So Clark walked a little hesitantly through the empty halls. Occasionally he could hear the sound of laughter or sneakers squeaking but not from anywhere close. Clark was glad, he wouldn’t have to answer questions about the strange suit he was carrying.

Clark glanced over his shoulder as he rounded the corner and found himself nose to nose with a lovely blond girl he recognized from his chemistry class.

“Clark?”

“Hi.” He smiled. “You know who I am?”

“Yes.” She laughed softly. “We’re in chemistry class together.”

“Yeah I know it’s just that you, sort of keep to yourself in class.”

“Look who’s talking.” She grinned. Wow! Her smile seemed to make the hall brighten. “I’m Alicia Baker.”

He smiled back goofily. “Hi.” She glanced down at the lead suit in his arms.

“You’re headed to the lab?”

“Yes… Um… I um… I need to…” He glanced around the room.

“Reserve the lab.” Suddenly the pretty blond was all business. Her brown eyes hardened.

“Yes… I have a project that I’m working on…”

With a quick gesture, Alicia leads the way to the lab and Clark has no choice but to follow. She grills him with questions about what sort of experiment he’s conducting, what substances he’ll be working with, etc. Once they arrive in the lab she drills him on the Lab rules. He can’t help thinking about Chloe going on about journalism in the Torch.

“Stay away from this side of the lab. I’m working on getting an internship at the Metropolis Institute of Technology this summer. Professor Blaise has given me special permission to work on a personal project.” Alicia added defensively.

Clark smiled reassuringly receiving another mega watt grin in return.
    “I could stay and help you with yours. Wow! Is that a lead suit?”

“Oh… no it’s going to take a while. I know what to do. Um… thank you. For showing me everything, and opening up the lab.”

“No problem Clark. Here’s the lab key. Make sure you lock up and slip it into my locker when you’re done.” After jotting down her locker number she added, “You’re supposed to sign up in advance to use the lab. You’re lucky I was here finishing up some things.”

As she turned to leave, Clark couldn’t help admiring her slender legs. She turned suddenly and he glanced up sheepishly.

“You should join the Chemistry club.”

“Really? Who – Who are the other members.”

“Just me.” She grins irresistibly and Clark’s knees feel a little wobbly.

After a moment he thrusts his head into the hall to watch her go but she seems to have vanished.

Lana was cold. She’d suddenly been blasted with intense paralyzing cold. Even if she had not been submerged in the lake she probably wouldn’t have been able to breathe. One minute she was reading her book, the next a world of green and cold. She couldn’t even move it was as though she were paralyzed. She managed to glance down and see her attacker. His hands still grasping her ankles, his deformed blue face contorted in ecstasy. A meteor freak!

She could feel her limbs weakening. Her chest was pounding from lack of air and fear. CLARK!!! Lana tried to yell but knew that her efforts were in vain. Slowly her eyes closed and she went limp.

Pete Ross made his way past a low stand of trees and into a sunlit clearing, grumbling.

“…Clark Kent…boneheaded…”

kick

“…Chloe Sullivan…”

kick

“…Lana Lang…make a decision…”

Pete’s kicking worked a partially buried red rock out of the hard dry soil. He tossed it into his very full satchel, and hefted it onto his back – satisfied that he’d gotten plenty of rocks for the “experiment.”

As Pete headed down the path that led into town, he noticed a familiar outcropping of rock. He started toward it. He took his time, partly because of the glorious day and partly because he didn’t want to bring his new rock collection within a hundred feet of his alien best friend. All hell was going to break loose; Pete could feel it.

A fat squirrel crossed the path and scurried down the sharp grassy slope. Pete suddenly recognized where he was. He and Clark had often ridden here their dirt bikes. He was directly above the Kawatche caves. Pete grinned and decided to take a rest inside the coolness of the cave, avoiding the inevitable for a little while longer.

Pete Ross marched leisurely down the steeply sloping rock and into the coolness of the caves. It actually had the potential to be the haven Clark often pretended that it was as a cover for studying these strange caves. Knowing the reality, the cool quiet of the cave seemed a bit sinister to Pete. The peaceful calm started to feel like the tense silence of a slumbering beast.

As the ground leveled Pete reached the familiar opening in the cave which housed some of the Kawatche tribes most sacred cave paintings. They were rumored to be prophesies about a great and powerful man who would save mankind. Pete slowly studied the wall until he found something incredibly odd. Strange symbols were carved into the wall, surrounding a strange octagonal hole. Pete let the satchel filled with rocks fall to the ground then approached the strange hole.

Clearing his throat he focused on the indentation.

"Uh... I know that you're in there. You're... Clark's dad. His real dad right? Well, Clark needs your help. He’s trying this... experiment because... well... I guess it's girl trouble. I'm guessing from last year that you and Clark don't get along too good but um... he's in love with this girl Lana. But I... I think Chloe deserves a chance with him. She loves him." Pete tried to ignore the painful lump that formed in his throat. He'd given up so many weekends filming Chloe's adventures... for nothing. Chloe would always love Clark. He hated Journalism. He'd rather make news than report on it but... whatever. Even as he thought these things he knew that the minute she asked he would be at it again. Anything for Chloe Sullivan.

This was stupid. Who was he kidding? This is Clark's mess and he could clean it up. What kind of sense did it make, talking to a wall? You probably had to have X-ray vision or super flatulence or something to talk to the dead alien voices. Huffily Pete hefted his bag and stalked up and out of the cave.

Three markings in the cave glow purple, in a formation which is eerily similar to a frowny face.

The warmth of the sun and the force of the wind woke Lana Lang from her stupor. A strong arm was firmly clasped about her waist and… below her the wide open fields rushed past and Lana could tell she was headed away from the lake and toward town. Somehow she was still alive. Somehow she’d been rescued. Somehow… she was flying!

Chloe gunned her little red beetle along the dirt highway. Hanging onto the steering wheel with one hand she dug through her bag with the other. Finally she had to face the facts. Her recorder was gone. Good bye Jr. Daily Planet reporter, hello teenage angst. Ah well, she’d gotten plenty of reluctant teen confessions to tide her over one week. She managed to pop a couple of aspirin while driving – she’d always been a multi-tasker. And with Clark’s new column – that brought a pang of fear. Clark… she’d have to face him Monday. Chloe took a deep breath, put on her sunshades and turned the music up. She’d had enough of being a whiny girl for two lifetimes. Once again her first love comes to her rescue. This next issue of the Torch was going to kick ass!

Clark was pacing impatiently around the lab when Pete arrived with the bag of rocks. Everything was all set and ready to go. Clark was wearing the lead suit. It was a tight fit but would do the trick. He’d fashioned the Kryptonian metal into a spherical makeshift compression container.

“Hey Pete.” Clark’s voice is slightly muffled by the suit.

“I’ve said all I’ve got to say Clark. You know how I feel about all this.”

“I appreciate this Pete.” Clark took the back and began shuffling through the rocks. In the bottom of the makeshift container, Clark puts a layer of red rocks until the whole bottom is covered. The suit is working. Clark feels nothing. Then nervously, Clark selects a green rock.

“I could do that for you Clark.”

“NO that’s ok Pete. I’ll do it.”

Pete swallowed, imagining Smallville High School going up in flames. He barely resisted the urge to take all the rocks and throw them out the window.

After adding a layer of large green rocks in the center of the red rock layer, Clark piled small red rocks on top. Finally he covered the top with metal and began to compress until the metal was crushed, covering the rocks like tin foil. Clark gestured at Pete who gathered the unused rocks and loaded them out of the room.

Placing his hands in a nearby sink, Clark slowly took of the helmet of the lead suit. Nothing. The metal blocked the radiation. Using all of his strength Clark began to compress the metal and the meteor rocks with his hands. with a growl he began heating the whole mess with his head vision. Ignoring the pain in his hands he continued and light and the pain and Clark’s roar built and built and built. Pete stood nervously outside the door ready to pull the fire alarm if necessary.

Lana slowly looked up through her wind swirled hair and saw the smiling face of… what’s his name! The guy who’d asked her out at her locker the other day. She’d given him the brush off twice and now here he was saving her. He could fly!

He had the most beautiful white wings that glinted iridescent green in the sunlight. A meteor freak! Lana thought in revulsion. She couldn’t pull away though; they were too high in the air. He must have noticed her reaction because he landed them on the windmill. Gracefully his wings folded up flat against his body until they were almost unnoticeable. She watched, torn between horror and admiration as he untied his jacket from his waist and put it on, completely obscuring them.

He chuckled at Lana’s amazed expression.

“People see what they want to see.” He shrugged. “Even in a place like Smallville, I find that it’s easy to hide. Maybe it’s because I live in a place like Smalliville. I don’t know.”

“How…”

“Well, during the first meteor shower I had the misfortune of being hit by a meteor rock blast of radiation while being attacked by birds.” He laughed. “What are the odds?”

Lana couldn’t help but smile. “Thank you…”

“Evan. Evan Fitcher.”

“Thank you Evan Fitcher. You saved my life.”

Evan blushed. Lana couldn’t bring herself to be creeped out by the fact that he’d been spying on her in some tree.

“I’ll fly you where ever you need to go.”

“I work a shift at the Talon. You can drop me off and we can have a coffee together. It’s on me.” She grinned.

“Alright!” Eagerly he took off his jacket, tied it around his waist. He spread his wings and held out his arms to Lana. He thrilled for a moment at the reality of having Lana Lang in his arms, even if it was only for transportation purposes. He’d never been so grateful for his meteor powers. Suddenly he thought of something.

“Lana?”

“Yeah?”

“I know you’re good friends with Chloe but… I’d rather stay off of her ‘meteor freak’ radar.”

“Sure Evan. Your secret is safe with me.”

They soared over Smallville. Evan said that people down below would most likely do a double take and convince themselves they’d seen a bird or a hang glider not even wondering about the lack of mountains. Evan landed her silently on the roof of the Talon at dusk. He secreted his wings under his jacket and they went downstairs to have a cup of coffee.

Evan wasn’t particularly interesting, but he wasn’t boring either. He spent a lot of time studying airplanes and all variations there of. He bored her with talk of flying cars. She bored him with literature. They finally found common ground talking about comic books and why or why not they could be considered literature. Even though Lana didn’t read comic books she found the discussion interesting and enlightening. After a little hesitation Lana decided to write her number on Evan’s hand with the footnote, “Just friends.” As Evan finished his third cup of coffee, Lana’s friends rushed into the Talon all talking at once.

“We were so worried… where did you go… all your stuff… you you’re your book so we KNEW something was wrong… Danny’s number…these cute boots… ARE YOU OKAY?!”

“Yes you guys.” They enveloped Lana in a huge hug. “I got a ride with…” Evan had disappeared. He was probably shy. “I got a ride with a friend.”

They began speculating about the “mysterious skinny guy” having a coffee with Lana. They teased Lana about her “weakness for weird loner types. “But at least she finds cute ones!”

They pumped her for information about her disheveled, shoeless-ness. So Lana finally told them she’d almost drowned and that Evan Fitcher had saved her. That brought a barrage of questions and concern but Lana was having none of it.

“It’s almost time for my shift to start girls. The next time you want to drag me to the lake against my will I’m staying home!”

Lana waved goodbye to her boisterous friends. She shrugged apologetically to her co-workers and made her way to the bar only to find herself face to face with none other than Lex Luthor himself.

This is it, Clark thought. The point of no return.

He’d stopped using his heat vision but the small bundle in his lead clad hands seemed to be heating on its own. He seemed to be holding on for dear life rather than applying pressure now. The light glowed brighter and brighter until it was all Clark could see. Clark hoped Pete had stayed outside the room.

FLASH!!!

WHOOSH!!!

BIG BOOM!!!
    Last edited by ginnyfan; 11-28-2008, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I can't believe you just left it there

Comment

Yes I left it there... but I didn't really intend to leave it there. I just... got caught up in one thing or another.

I've had this chapter on my computer for a while. Enjoy!

Chapter the Eighth: Chemistry

Part Five: Unnatural Selection

Clark Kent’s Scientific Method

Pete fears the results of Clark's Experiment
        (download)

Purple K Clark!

Big Boom!

The blast tremors went through the entire high school. All over campus the athletes, over achieving students, slackers playing catch up, teachers planning lessons, janitorial staff – paused in their activities then panicked. For a few moments everyone in the high school and the surrounding area ran, shouted, screamed and fell over, not necessarily in that order as the ground beneath them shook. A few older people looked to the sky. They remembered the last time the ground shook in Smallville, about 15 years ago, forever after associating Smallville with meteors. As quickly as they began, the tremors dissipated, leaving the occupants of the Smallville High School campus to wonder at the small earthquake. It was during this post boom, post tremor stupor that Chloe Sullivan pulled into the SHS parking lot.

During the tremors, Chloe had been en route to the High School from Lex Luthor’s mansion. She had lost control of her car and almost swerved into a ditch. As she exited her small red beetle, she could see small clusters of people looking around in awe, talking quietly. Not finding the source of the commotion, some were slowly returning to their activities. Chloe eagerly dug through her bag for a pad of paper and a pen. There was nothing like a juicy story to get Chloe’s mind off her worries and put a smile on her face.

~*~

Pete peered into the Chemistry Lab. Through a strange murky purple smoke he could see broken glass covering the floor. The lab was completely trashed. Clark’s face appeared inches away from Pete’s, startling him.

“You ok, Pete?”

Pete’s mouth opened but nothing came out. There was something... different... about Clark. Pete just couldn’t quite put his finger what it was. Clark SEEMED fine – not wickedly mischievous or psychotic – though he WAS oddly cheerful. Slowly, Pete nodded his head. Clark grinned and clapped him on the shoulder.

“I feel great...” Clark patted his chest as though making sure of his own solidity. “I’m not dead...” Clark took a deep breath. “I think this is going to work!”

Pete grimaced.

“C’mon Pete… look… the fruits of our labor.” In his hand Clark held a small purple rock. As Pete entered he noticed several purple stones strewn across the floor.

“What a mess.” Pete turned to face Clark. “Well, assuming we survive Principal Reynolds’ wrath… do you… feel any different?”

Clark did feel different. He couldn’t wait to get back on the farm.

A plan was forming in his head on how to increase the productivity of the farm by 30% during the next month, if not more. He was thinking about how a particular arrangement of gears would keep the tractor working smoothly for the next 100 years AND he was thinking about… LANA! He couldn’t wait to see her again, give her a big kiss and tell her he loved her.

Clark’s thoughts rushed out of his mouth all at once.

“Pete," Clark grinned. "My choice is perfectly clear.”

“So that’s it. Lana it is.” Pete was sorely disappointed. The rock hadn’t changed Clark at all – well apart from the new enthusiasm for farm chores. Pete’s heart sank into his shoes at the thought of Clark breaking Chloe’s heart yet again. Although…

“When are you going to tell Chloe?”

Now it was Clark’s turn to look uncomfortable.

"Clark?" Pete's eyebrows raised expectantly.

“I’ll – I’ll tell her the next time I see her.”

Monday seemed such a long way away.

“Clark. There's no way to avoid hurting Chloe. Don't let this drag out. Alright?”

"I'm going to tell her the next time I see her Pete." Clark sighed.

“Yeah right.”

Blighted, Clark seemed to notice the mess for the first time. With a sigh he picked up a shard of glass then gazed into nothingness with a look of concentration on his face.

“Pete, stall them ok.” Clark backed Pete toward the door, opened it and pushed him out into the hall.

“Clark…” But Clark had already shut the door. “OK, great. Yeah, I’ll just wait here and explain away the earthquake.”

Soon, a crowd began to gather in the hallway. Pete put on an innocent grin. At first they milled around… looking for fissures in the floor Pete supposed. Then they began to ask questions. Was Pete ok? Did he feel the tremors? What’s going on in the lab? The boom seemed to come from this direction… etc.

“Oh yeah I’m fine… Yeah I felt it… weird huh? Oh my friend is just catching up on some chemistry… nothing explosive going on in there.” More than a few faces looked skeptical.

“I’m just out here to… get some fresh air.”

Pete was patting himself on the back for his nonchalant performance when he heard a familiar voice nearby.

“So, you heard a loud boom coming from this direction?”

Oh no! Chloe.

Pete launched himself into the lab to warn Clark but halted in the doorway, astonished. The chemistry lab was spotless. Clark looked up and waved awkwardly. He was wearing goggles, an apron and latex gloves. The people peering over Pete’s shoulder into the room left in disinterest.

Pete realized he would NEVER get completely used to Clark’s powers.

“Hey Pete,” Chloe squeezed past him into the room, Pete shut the door behind her then ran into her. She’d stopped a couple of steps into the Lab. Pete’s annoyed exclamation died on his lips as he stared at Chloe and Clark staring at each other.

Chloe felt liked she’d been punched in the gut. No! She didn’t want to see Clark until Monday. She’d been preparing herself emotionally for Monday. She stared into his shocked blue eyes and she could tell. Clark had made his decision and she wasn’t going to like it one bit.

Clark was feeling a similar sensation. His insides writhed at the thought of seeing the hurt in Chloe’s eyes when he told her that Lana was the one, the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. He was going to marry Lana and have a farm and a picket fence and a son… Lana Jr.

There was a full minute of silence in which Pete looked back and forth between his two best friends until finally Chloe and Clark forced smiles onto their faces simultaneously. The tension was thicker than the acrid purple smoke of Clark’s meteor rock fusion.

“Hey Clark!” Chloe should have an Emmy by now for all of the performances she put on for Clark, Pete thought. She tossed her head and marched over to whatever Clark was pretending to work on. Gazing at it curiously she asked, “What’s up?”

Pete thanked his lucky stars that she was looking at Clark when she asked her question. Seeing Chloe reminded him of her new powers and all the problems that came with them. Pete’s worry about Clark's secret quickly became worry about Chloe's health when he remembered what Clark had told him about her headaches. From the furrow in Clark’s brow Pete figured Clark was worried too.

“Just when I thought nothing in this town would ever surprise me again: earthquakes occur at Smallville High.” She forced a laugh which was cut off abruptly when she glanced at Clark and seemed to lose her train of thought for a moment. Clark smiled awkwardly and adjusted his goggles. Chloe shook herself and continued. “And guess who is at the center of the first hand speculation?”

Clark sighed with relief and feigned thoughtfulness. “Pete Ross?”

Chloe snorted and shook her head dismissively. She gazed at them for a moment, contemplating.

“Are you feeling ok Chloe?" Pete broke into her thoughts, quickly changing the focus of conversation to avoid questions he didn’t want to answer. Also, something had gone down between Chloe and Clark and he didn’t know if he wanted to know what it was. Finally, Pete was genuinely concerned about Chloe’s health. "Have you been to a doctor about your headaches?”

For a moment Chloe looked alarmed. Then she rolled her eyes at Clark, sighed and shook her head.

“I’m fine, Pete…”

“How did your meeting with Lex go?” Pete asked quickly.

Chloe attempted an innocent look. “Lex?”

“Yeah, you told me you were meeting with him.” Pete frowned in confusion.

Clark immediately went into self righteous hero mode. He stood up and his chest swelled. Clark always reminded Pete of Jonathan Kent when he did that.

“Chloe, meeting with Lex is the last thing you should have done. What if he found out about the break in?”

Like you care. Chloe thought. She pressed her lips together to keep from verbalizing it.

Clark’s eyes widened in alarm. “Does he know?” Chloe avoided looking at Clark. “He knows!”

“Hey, back off! I’m a big girl. Pete, I popped a few aspirin. My headache’s fine. Clark, I appreciate the concern but I can handle Lex. Both of you, nice deflection but it didn’t work. Wh-“

“Your shirt’s red!” Pete shouted suddenly.

Chloe and Clark stared at Pete. Oh no… Before the blast Clark had been wearing a blue T-shirt with a red jacket. NOW he was wearing a RED T-shirt with a red jacket. Clark’s shirt had changed color? Pete certainly couldn’t explain his outburst with Chloe present.

Chloe chuckled. “I agree that the red on red combo is a bit overpowering but what does that have to do with…”

Chloe trailed off. Pete and Clark followed her eye line. She’d noticed the purple meteor rock on the counter beside Clark.

“Wow! I didn’t know there were purple meteor rocks.” She held it up to the light. “Where did you find this?” Again her question was addressed to Clark. Pete gulped and started to sweat.

“Pete… found it…” Pete was mouthing “TRUTH POWERS” as dramatically as he could but Clark wasn’t taking the hint.

Chloe turned to Pete. “Where di–"

“You know what Chloe?” Pete interrupted, “It was near the Kawatche caves and it might not even be a meteor rock. Not everything has a wacky explanation.”

“So you two have no idea why several students heard a blast coming from this direction. I find that hard to believe.”

Pete found it hard to believe his luck. She hadn’t phrased that comment as a question.

“We are as clueless about that tremor as everyone else but…”

“What kind of experiment are you working on Clark?” Clark picked up his worksheet.

“I’m… examining the properties of some alkaline earth elements.”

Pete smiled and nodded vigorously. Impressive...

Chloe turned back to Pete. “What does-"

“Isn’t it boring? I’m sure you’d rather be researching tremors in Kansas or digging up embarrassing secrets for the next issue of the Torch.” Pete gulped a quick breath.

“But –"

“I know, I know what you’re going to say, Chloe. You want my cross country article ASAP. Well, I’m on it.” He grabbed Chloe by the shoulders and turned her toward Clark. “Now you can grill Clark about his new column. I’m sure he’s been working really hard on it.” Clark grimaced and glared at Pete.

While Chloe’s attention was diverted to Clark, Pete scooped up his bag. The purple rocks gleamed inside. Luckily Pete got the bag closed before Chloe could turn toward him.

Pete marched briskly to the door but paused in the doorway.

“Clark. Remember what you said. Do it sooner than later.” Clark shook his head vigorously but Pete just gave him an insistent look and took off at a sprint.

Chloe swallowed. She smiled sweetly but her eyes already looked a little misty.

Clark took the purple stone out of Chloe’s hand and took a deep breath.

“Have a seat Chloe.”

Doctor Cummins examined the slides again and again. Never before, in all his years of working for Luthorcorp had he seen this level of radiation absorption in a test subject. During the course of the original Levitas project, hundreds of unwitting test patients had died. And now… If Lex Luthor was to be believed, the key to unlocking the entire mystery was inside the body of one teenaged girl.

Dr. Cummins was beyond giddy. He’d been itching to get his hands on a human test subject since the project reopened but the junior Luthor – something Dr. Cummins would never call Lex Luthor to his face – played at having scruples. The doctor chuckled. The junior Luthor was adamant that he receive a written report by the end of the day. The simple fact was that Dr. Cummins was flummoxed. There was no explanation for these findings. According to all prior human research under Lionel Luthor and even including the animal research conducted on Lex’s payroll, this level of radiation absorption indicated weeks of exposure rather than days. At this rate Miss Chloe Sullivan would probably be able to force the truth out of anyone simply by asking a direct question, no matter their state of mind or willingness. She wouldn’t need physical contact; she wouldn’t even need intense focus as some human test subjects had needed in the past. Miss Sullivan’s blood work measured against past research indicated, to put it bluntly, that Chloe Sullivan should be dead. There was no way a human being could absorb such high levels of the radiation and survive. Unless…

Dr. Cummins remembered rumors when he worked in level three with the refined meteor rock. He’d heard jokes about some people in Smallville absorbing the radiation from the meteors and walking away symptom-less, only to discover strange new abilities later. True, more often than not his unwitting test subjects acquired temporary supernatural abilities along with the usual radiation poisoning. In the case of Levitas, the test subjects could force the truth from others using direct questioning. If harnessed, this infallible interrogation ability would bring a fortune from the US government and even more bounty from other governments on the black market. Unfortunately human beings could not tolerate the poison and the suffered headaches and finally death.

The Smallville fables floating around level 3 claimed there were humans who absorbed the radiation without death, without jitters. They lived among the general population without symptom. What if Miss Sullivan were one of the anonymous meteor infected masses? Oh the possibilities of experimentation! In these meteor people one would have test subjects with a greater level of durability. They would be able to withstand higher levels of meteor radiation with fewer adverse effects. The doctor swallowed, he was almost drooling. He couldn’t get ahead of himself here.

All he knew so far was that Miss Chloe Sullivan was different. Her body was absorbing the meteor radiation at an alarming rate. Maybe, she was more than human, maybe not. Either way, he decided he didn’t want to risk the Luthor wrath. Even the junior Luthor was unpredictable at best. Dr. Cummins decided to keep his report simple and to the point. If Lex Luthor put two and two together, he would think it was his own idea with no risk to the doctor.

Dr. Cummins walked over to a small console on the wall of his lab and pressed a button.

“Yes, this is Dr. Cummins. I need to speak with Lex Luthor immediately. It is about Chloe Sullivan’s blood work.”

Dr. Cummins didn’t stifle the smile that slid onto his face. He wanted that girl here, in his custody, ASAP.

Lex Luthor watched as Lana Lang was accosted by a group of giggling teenage girls. Like a single white iris among exotic, garish hothouse flowers she was poised and self-contained as she laughed and talked with them. As the girls left, Lex stood and approached the petite raven-haired beauty.

Lana gasped in shock at the sight of the bald billionaire. Lex was here already? She probably looked a hot mess!

“Hello Lana. You seem surprised to see me. You left a message saying you needed to talk.”

“Right.” She took a deep breath. “I know. I didn’t expect you so soon. But it’s okay um… Have a seat. Would you like your usual?”

“Yes please.” Lex smiled warmly as Lana scurried off.

Lex sat at a table. Almost immediately a cute girl with afro puffs brought him his coffee.

“Here you go Mr. Luthor.”

“Thank you… Amy.” He smiled reading her name tag. Lex' cell phone chimed and he glanced at the screen. Chloe Sullivan had been located at the high school. A second message notified Lex that there were four men trailing him. His father's goons. Lex knew that they would have a hard time following him unnoticed in Smallville, Kansas. It could be that his father wanted him to know the men were on his trial. He would have to be cautious.

Lana sat, flushed, as the waitress nodded.

“Thanks Amy.” Lana smiled. “I’ll make it up to you.”

Lana looked brushed and refreshed. She grinned.

“Sorry about that, Lex. Amy agreed to work extra so that we could talk.” She paused, examining him with almond eyes. “I didn’t expect you to respond to my call so quickly.”

“Well I had other business to attend to in Smallville so I thought I’d stop by.”

He gazed at Lana questioningly. For a moment she felt fourteen again. She cleared her throat and presented a brochure to Lex.

“Lex, I’ve been accepted to the Paris school of the Arts. They have a full time program and if everything goes as planned, I start in the summer.”

Lex’ eyebrows rose as he thumbed through the brochure. This was a surprise. Even more surprising was the pang he felt in his chest. He couldn’t quite classify what emotion it was.

“I could tell from your work here at the Talon and in your Aunt Nell’s shop that you had an artistic eye but I had no idea you were thinking of turning it into a profession. When did you decide this?”

“I’ve been thinking about it off and on for a while now. Everyone has their families… I’m not sure where I fit in.” Lana voice had become a tremulous whisper, her eyes stung with tears and her throat ached. Why was opening up to Lex having this effect on her? She supposed it was because she hadn't had a chance to really talk to Chloe about her feelings. She missed Chloe.

“When it comes to family dysfunction and the resulting loneliness I’m the expert but… I don’t think you can deny that Smallville is your home Lana.” Lana resisted the urge to grab his hand. She looked up through her eyelashes at him. “As much as I support you furthering your art skills, make sure you aren’t running away from something you should face.”

“Is that what you were doing when you left Metropolis to come to Smallville? Running away?”

Lex smiled masking his annoyance at the change of focus. “No. I didn’t have a choice in the matter.” Lana’s pitying look increased his irritation. “I certainly don’t regret it. The distance from my life there was beneficial. It made me a better businessman.” He smiled and Lana answered it with one of her own as she nodded.

“I guess I just wanted to tell you in person. I – I wanted you to know that… that I…” She was stammering! Lana wanted to kick herself. She wanted to tell him how much his faith in her meant to her.

“That I’m losing a business partner? Thank you for the heads up.” He gazed curiously at her blushing face.

“Also… I was hoping to sell my half of the business. I need money for school and…”

“That won’t be necessary Lana.” Lex took a sip of his coffee, watching her over the edge of the cup. Lana shifted uncomfortably.

“I don’t want your money, Lex.” Lana’s voice was hard. Lex took his time gulping the coffee before answering.

“Consider it a gift.”

“I appreciate your generosity but…”

“Then it’s settled.” Lex smiled as Lana sighed.

Lana didn’t want to argue with him and delay Amy any longer.

“Thank you, Lex.” She stood. “Let me get you another latte for the road.”

Her disapproval was clear on her face and in her voice.

Lex smiled. “Thanks, I’d like that.” He watched as Lana’s slender form made her way to the bar. Beautiful. Did Clark know that Lana was moving so far away? Instinctively, Lex calculated the information from every angle to see if it gave him any leverage on Clark Kent. Not that Lex needed leverage on Clark. Not now that he knew Chloe orchestrated the break in to Lab 3. Lex stood as Lana returned. He accepted his drink graciously then left.

Chloe Ann Sullivan marched through the SHS hallways half blinded by the tears in her eyes.

Chloe.

The red and yellow lockers gave way to blue and green as she made her way though the halls bumping rudely into the people along her pathway.

I can’t tell you how… honored… I feel to be your friend…

The tears spilled down her cheeks as she walked in a daze.

… to work with you at the Torch, to know that…

Chloe tripped and almost fell. She barely noticed the laughter.

…you love me.

She stopped at her locker and leaned against it. She could see Clark's face on the day of the formal. His joyful smile. The way he held her in his arms. The way the weight of his cheek felt against the top of her head as they danced. Her head resting against his chest. Her breath shuddered with a sob.

Well the worst had happened. She didn't feel any better. Just so much worse. The tension built in her chest just as Chloe remembered that she was in a public place. She couldn't break down in front of her locker. Chloe took off running.

Pete slammed his locker door. He'd barely been able to fit his rock filled bag in there. He figured that tomorrow he would bury those purple rocks. Clark said he felt fine but... better to be safe than sorry. He didn't want to leave them anywhere Clark could stumble across them.

Now that the rocks were secure, Pete headed to the Torch. Chloe had given both Clark and Pete a key to her beloved newspaper headquarters. Although Pete had promised to finish up his article for this week’s issue, his primary objective was to find whatever information he could about Chloe's headaches and her meeting with Lex. In other words he was going to snoop.

His hands were sweating just thinking of sneaking around the Torch looking in Chloe's secret files. Chloe was a pretty easy going gal about most things, but she was ultra sensitive about the Torch. Though incredibly nosy when it came to other people’s secrets, Chloe was fiercely private about her own. If she caught him tampering in her computer or looking at something she didn't want him too, there’d be hell to pay. But Chloe's health was on the line so it was worth the risk.

Pete muttered to himself as he marched through the campus hallways. His article would be the perfect cover for his investigating. Investigating sounded official and not at all like he was invading the privacy of his best friend-

BAM!

Pete rounded the corner and collided head on with Chloe Sullivan herself. She was crying. Chloe’s eyes widened in shock and he just held her in his arms for a moment. Each tear streak across Chloe’s face was like a slash across Pete’s heart.

Chloe could still hear Clark's voice saying the words she wished she could forget.

I love you too but… not in the way that you want.

"Chloe-"

"Not now Pete." She pushed roughly out of his arms.

"Chloe wait!"

She ran off ignoring his cries. The deep tones of Clark's voice in her memory gave way to Chloe's own, forcing cheerfulness.

I think that it might be better if we just stayed really good friends. Anything other than that just... gets too complicated.

Finally she reached the doors. She dug in her purse and fumbled with her keys as she pushed through to the outside world.

Look, Clark I guess I just let my feelings get the better of me but we made a decision and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Another sob escaped her as Chloe reached her car. As fast as she could she unlocked the door, got in and shut herself inside. Here she was again, sitting in her car, crying over Clark Kent and Lana Lang.

Love is rarely if ever logical. Maybe they just have the right pheromones. It's chemistry, Clark. Some people have it, others don't.

After sobbing a while, Chloe looked into her wet, red eyes in her rear view mirror.

No. Not again. She wasn't going to go home and cry into her pillow while Lana slept smugly across the hall. Or worse! She wasn't going to bury her hurt while the brunette made patronizing statements about not letting a guy come between their friendship. No. Chloe had been in love with Clark since her first day of school at Smallville Junior High. Somehow Lana Lang had put a spell on him that not even the truth of Chloe's feelings could penetrate. No. Chloe wiped her tears and gave a huge sniff. She started the engine, her green eyes flashing with anger. There were better ways to release years of disappointment and hurt. Chloe Sullivan was going to kick Lana Lang's ass!

Kawatche Cave Magic

In the darkness of the Kawatche Caves a strange breeze blew.

The breeze stirred the fine dust that covered the floor of the caves.

The breeze blew dust off of the markings etched into the wall of the cave hundreds of years ago.

The breeze blew across the strange purple markings that glowed eerily in the gloom.

The breeze blew across a figure lying motionless on the cave floor.

The prostrate figure stirred with a groan. Slowly, it sat up, and then stood. It was a teenage boy – tall, dark haired and muscular. He looked around the cave, getting his bearings. In his hand he held a purple rock.

As his eyes settled on the glowing purple markings, they faded until they looked no different than the other ancient markings.

“The Kawatche Cave. I’m in the Kawatche Cave.” He smiled. All things considered the experiment worked out well. Dropping the rock, the boy smiled. The blue of his jacket and shirt complimented his eyes perfectly. In an instant he was gone leaving only dust swirling in the emptiness of the cave.

Here endeth chapter eight.

Thanks to all who actually read this. And thank you to borednow for giving me the perfect cop out. <3

***Thank you to Bearcat for the link to the Purple K video. I asked if I could post it in my story long ago when I first started writing. If you like it let him know HERE.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎