No announcement yet.

Discussion on Javier and Francisco accent

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion on Javier and Francisco accent

OK, I just wanted to drop by and complain that Javier and Francisco, two Mexican teens held as slaves on an American farm were speaking English amongst each other, even when alone ...
    I am slightly offended as a non-native speaker.

I mean, c'mon, would it have killed anyone to read 3-4 lines of sub-titles...?

Javier seemed like a very bright kid, so I believe them that he learned his English while watching TV, so I have absolutely no problem with them speaking perfect, accent-free English well in general, of course... But I still I felt like complaining...
    Last edited by Mysticlies; 12-08-2006, 09:06 PM.

well InLove_with_Chloe i don't see the complaining since i'm mexican and i learned english by myself and watching TV, and i do know a lot of people here in my city who does speak accent-free english. so that's why i didn't see any weird thing w/ Javier and Francisco speaking flowed english.

I think this is bc of the influence that we have for being located geographically near of USA. (I say this bc i live 20 minutes away from USA border and it's only my opinion of course).
    Last edited by GabbieW; 12-08-2006, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GabbieW
      well InLove_with_Chloe i don't see the complaining since i'm mexican and i learned english by myself and watching TV, and i do know a lot of people here in my city who does speak accent-free english. so that's why i didn't see any weird thing w/ Javier and Francisco speaking flowed english.

I think this is bc of the influence that we have for being located geographically near of USA. (I say this bc i live 20 minutes away from USA border and it's only my opinion of course).
      Sorry, I may not have made my point well:
      What bothered me was thet they spoke English TO EACH OTHER... Why would they do that...?
      I mean, when I meet one of my compatriotes, then we speak our language, that's what one does, no...?
      I have absolutely no prob with them speaking English well in general, of course.

---
      I edited it, I hope it's clearer now...
      Last edited by InLove_with_Chloe; 12-08-2006, 02:40 AM.

Comment

oh yeah it is clear now... i see your point well maybe as you said
        3 or 4 lines of subtitles wouldn't kill anybody!

But who knows w/ sv right? and i have to admit that i did like and enjoyed this epi... there was hints of chlark and Clark was the leader of the show once again yay!!!
        Last edited by GabbieW; 12-08-2006, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GabbieW
          i did like and enjoyed this epi... there was hints of chlark and Clark was the leader of the show once again yay!!!
          I agree. I never thought I'd say that, but I think the latter was even more important than the former...

Comment

InLove_with_Chloe,

I agree with you....I'm Italian and my first language is Italian and when I am at home I speak with my family in Italian, despite being born in the United States, So, I know what you meant and I agree with you.

Comment

Umm I agree with you completely. This bugged me a lot thruout the show. I STILL speak only Russian to my parents, and it's been almost 8 years now. This episode was pathetic, no matter which angle u look at it from...

Comment

"I think I've lost at least 20 IQ points from watching Smallville"

tell me about it

Comment

I'd say you need to lose about 30 more IQ points to be able to write for the show. 50 more to write the Lexana scenes. 70 more to write a scene involving Jimmy saving the day with a radio.

Comment

Wait until Lana aborts!

Comment

Thank you for pointing that out!

One of my best friends is from Mexico, he's been speaking English since he was eight, and had been here for six years, and believe me, when I was around him and his friends, the best I got was maybe a little Spanglish. And, that's only when he was trying really hard to help me understand.

I mean, do they think the fans are stupid? Are we unable to read a few lines of subtitles???

Comment

Well, I agree with all you, but everyone is different, so let me point something out.

1. Its a TV show, it's commercial TV, the less subtitles the better, for them.

2. The only one that spoke decent spanish was the old man by the tree, when one of the teens asked for help for the guy that fainted, well, my ears hurt.

3. When I moved here from Mexico, as soon as my sisters and I started to learn english we would speak to each other in english, to practice, and up until this day we only speak spanish when my parents or someone who doesn't speak english is present.

4. And last but not least, hoping against hope that they actually did some research on the matter there are states and cities outlawing even speaking another language besides english in public places, not to mention some bosses at work, they feel we might be telling them off without them knowing, so it would be realistic if that applied to the rancher as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm1999
                          4. And last but not least, hoping against hope that they actually did some research on the matter there are states and cities outlawing even speaking another language besides english in public places, not to mention some bosses at work, they feel we might be telling them off without them knowing, so it would be realistic if that applied to the rancher as well.
                          WHAAAAAT? In thee US you mean...?!?
                          Now that's just cruel...

Comment

Yes in the US, LOL, I guess there's a reason these news are only available through spanish channels, maybe to warn us!

Comment

The Writers didn't want subtitles, simple as that... there should've been Spanish, but oh well. And mom too, I know she wouldn't speak English to her son...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎