TV Ratings for Sneeze.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallville is definately in trouble in terms of ratings. It usually takes at least half a season or more for the ratings to dip this low but they are starting the season out with ratings under 5 million. I am not suprised though because CW can't be seen by everyone, and the episode itself wasn't anything special. Plus, the baseball playoffs always take ratings away as well.

Comment

OUCH poor SV.

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
        According to Zap2it:
        At 8 p.m., the second episode of ABC's "Ugly Betty," 9.5/15, held on to most of the audience from its premiere. "Survivor: Cook Islands," 9.4/15, was just behind in households but won the hour in viewers. "My Name Is Earl," 6.0/10, and "The Office," 5.4/8, rebounded some from last week. FOX's coverage of the National League Division Series was fourth, beating The CW's "Smallville," 2.8/4.

According to Mediaweek:

Last, but still worthy of mention given the severity of the competition, was the CW’s combination of Smallville (Overnights: 3.6/ 6; Viewers: #5, 4.60 million; A18-49: #4, 2.0/ 6) and Supernatural (Overnights: 2.6/ 4; Viewers: #5, 3.32 million; A18-49: #5, 1.5/ 4).
        This is why I didn't want to even look at the premier's numbers, I thought that the true test was going to be how the episodes following the premier were going to be. Season 6 might be the end for Smallville if the numbers are this low. I can't see why The CW would keep around an expensive show to produce that would be going into it's 7th season when they can bring another show along that is less expensive to produce and one that can bring in slightly better ratings.

Comment

The numbers went from 5.0 down to 4.6 in less than a week.

Seems like people were turned away from the premiere not turned on.

Comment

While ratings are important, there is another part to it. The demographic that watch the show is more important. Because Smallville has generally a younger male following than a lot of other shows, it makes it more profitable. The male 18-34 demographic is the hardest demo for advertisers to reach. Meaning a show such as Smallville, will be very still be profitable to a network because of advertising revenue due to younger male viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by myankskent
              This is why I didn't want to even look at the premier's numbers, I thought that the true test was going to be how the episodes following the premier were going to be. Season 6 might be the end for Smallville if the numbers are this low. I can't see why The CW would keep around an expensive show to produce that would be going into it's 7th season when they can bring another show along that is less expensive to produce and one that can bring in slightly better ratings.
              Actually, I'm more interested to see the numbers of the most watched CW shows this week. Because last week Smalville was the second more watched show of CW with only 5 million. If this week is still the same, then something is very wrong with CW.

Comment

According to Mediaweek:

Last, but still worthy of mention given the severity of the competition, was the CW’s combination of Smallville (Overnights: 3.6/ 6; Viewers: #5, 4.60 million; A18-49: #4, 2.0/ 6) and Supernatural (Overnights: 2.6/ 4; Viewers: #5, 3.32 million; A18-49: #5, 1.5/ 4).

Ouch. I guess people didn't care about superbreath.

The ratings aren't looking too hot for Smallville, but if the CW were going to cancel anything first, my money is on 7th Heaven by the end of this season.

Most of the shows that are in their second or third week of airing took a ratings dip on the CW. I'm not sure what to make of this. The CW as a whole needs to improve.

Comment

I'm more interested to see the numbers of the most watched CW shows this week
                  I think it will be third this week. I know Next Top Model got a 4.7/7 don't know exact viewers though, and Gilmore Girls had 4.71 million viewers.

The ratings aren't looking too hot for Smallville, but if the CW were going to cancel anything first, my money is on 7th Heaven by the end of this season.
                  The CW has already flipped there Sunday and Monday line-ups. Effective on Monday October 9. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.
                  Last edited by Best Episode - 321; 10-06-2006, 10:04 AM.

Comment

These are only the overnights, right? Perhaps we should wait for the final numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
                      I think it will be third this week. I know Next Top Model got a 4.7/7 don't know exact viewers though, and Gilmore Girls had 4.71 million viewers.

The CW has already flipped there Sunday and Monday line-ups. Effective on Monday October 9. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.
                      Then something is really wrong with CW. It is not normal to a channel that is the merger of other two to have less ratings then the former two had alone. But if anything, Smallville is actually save.

Comment

Originally posted by Routh
                        These are only the overnights, right? Perhaps we should wait for the final numbers.
                        Final numbers are always slightly better. However, I think the major concern is that the initial numbers are lower then ZOD and not higher.
                        Last edited by Damali; 10-06-2006, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damali
                          Final numbers are always slightly better. However, I think the major concern is that the intial numbers are lower then ZOD and not higher.
                          As always.

Comment

What people have to realize is that ratings are down across the board for The CW. If you go to just about any site, like thefutoncritic.com, it will give you not only this week's rating, but the rating for the same week last year. Both Smallville and Supernatural are doing worse compared to last year at this time. Does that mean the quality is bad for the shows? No.

Some people really viewed it as a bad maneuver to combine UPN and the WB and are not watching at all. It was looked on as each was selling out a certain amount of their regular demographic to gain a great overall audience, whic has failed miserably. It also failed because the merger created a situation where a lot of the markets that used to get the WB and/or UPN are now not getting the CW, thus decreasing the possible audience for a given show.

A lot of the WB strongholds (Gilmore Girls, 7th Heaven, Smallville, Supernatural) are suffering smaller audiences despite overall positive reviews of the show quality.

I'm sure that the baseball playoffs are hurting ratings, and the regional coverages of hockey season starting up is not helping in some areas, but the CW has mismanged things from the beginning. You can tell because they are already having to completely re-think their Sunday and Monday lineups due to the fact that their comedy hour shows stink.

I will never understand why they put the head of UPN in charge of this joint merger considering that UPN was always the lesser channel (rating-wise) to the WB. The new station started up way too close to the premieres of the shows, and they spent more time promoting the new station than they did promoting the shows. I would say easily that the ratio of CW promos to show promos (ANY show, not just Smallville) was 3-to-1. That is not the way to get people to watch your product.

Comment

Originally posted by Timester
                              Actually, I'm more interested to see the numbers of the most watched CW shows this week. Because last week Smalville was the second more watched show of CW with only 5 million. If this week is still the same, then something is very wrong with CW.
                              Yeah, Smallville may have been the most viewed show last week, but Smallville numbers aren't improving like the other CW shows.

America's Next Top Model did 5.42mil this week.

One Tree Hill rating retained 100% of last week's premiere audience.

Gilmore Girls ratings also improved from the premiere.

Veronica Mars premiere was like the 4th (or something like that) most viewed episode for the series.

Now Smallville second week numbers drop. That's bad when the TV series I've listed above don't use CGI every week.

What people have to realize is that ratings are down across the board for The CW.
                              That's not true a lot of the CW TV series have improved since last week.

Last edited by Kreukie; 10-06-2006, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damali

Ouch. I guess people didn't care about superbreath.[/B]
                                Most people probably weren't even aware about the superbreath plot since the CW didn't even bother to promote it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎