Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Like Or Dislike Green Arrow?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never liked him ever since he stepped his green foot in smallville..........my dislike for him grows every second.......

Comment

I love Green Arrow, I love Oliver Queen and I love Justin Hartley.

Comment

I love GA/Ollie and I was a JH fan before he was on Smallville.

Comment

Originally posted by ginnyfan
          I don't know yet. He's awfully good looking

I looked him up on wikipedia and he sounded like a goofy version of batman...

I'm excited about having some new blood on the show. I'm excited about meeting someone who... well the spoilers have me excited too.

This is priceless, Ollie wouldnt like the complement

Comment

When it comes to the show itself, looking back, I think I do like him. He's not my favorite main character (that's Tess Mercer), but he's good. He came in as really a breath of fresh air in season 6. For five years, we had waited for Clark to put on the suit (which, technically, never happened. Clark Kent wore the suit, not the guy playing him. It was a CGI-double) and become Superman. Having to sit through a lot of Clana drama, with Clark moping over Lana a lot (though, that's probably more because of what network it was on). Then Oliver comes in. Unlike Clark, he is not constricted by the narrative of the show (which calls for it to end with Clark becoming Superman. He can't do it, halfway through the show's run). In his third appearance, he's wearing the Green Arrow suit (because the guy playing him was actually willing to put one on) and becomes Green Arrow. A fully formed, proactive superhero, who is the one who recruits and builds the proto-League. No doubt giving a lot of viewers what they wanted.

He's allowed to have relationships with Lois, Tess and Chloe. Mature relationships... and I don't mean "mature" in a sexual way (wrote "mature relationships" and realized that I should explain what I'm talking about), I mean that it feels largely like it's relationships between grown ups. Like they behave like grown ups in their relationship. No teen angst. No love triangles. Oliver doesn't spend 7-8 seasons moping over the same girl, that he had a crush on, as a high school freshman. No breaking up and getting back together again, over and over.

With Oliver, you basically got a character, with a lot of the negative aspects of Clark chipped away. However, Oliver also had the benefit of not being the show's main lead. If he had, things might've been very differently. Heck, when they actually made a Green Arrow TV show (which was unrelated to the Justin Hartley version), I dropped out after a few episodes, because I felt that it was terrible.
            Last edited by jon-el87; 12-31-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
              He's allowed to have relationships with Lois, Tess and Chloe. Mature relationships... and I don't mean "mature" in a sexual way (wrote "mature relationships" and realized that I should explain what I'm talking about), I mean that it feels largely like it's relationships between grown ups. Like they behave like grown ups in their relationship. No teen angst. No love triangles. Oliver doesn't spend 7-8 seasons moping over the same girl, that he had a crush on, as a high school freshman. No breaking up and getting back together again, over and over.

With Oliver, you basically got a character, with a lot of the negative aspects of Clark chipped away. However, Oliver also had the benefit of not being the show's main lead. If he had, things might've been very differently. Heck, when they actually made a Green Arrow TV show (which was unrelated to the Justin Hartley version), I dropped out after a few episodes, because I felt that it was terrible.
              Funny enough, that Arrow TV show actually got me to like this green arrow a little when I used to loathe Smallville's Ollie Queen with a burning passion.

Before Arrow, when Smallville was still on the air on it's first run-- "Ugh, I hate this guy. He's so hypocritical.... he's a real 'do as I say, not do as I do' kind of person. Everything Lex does is super evil, but the moment Oliver Queen does the same exact thing as Lex is doing it's suddenly okay? Just because he's a Superhero with supposedly good intentions? Right. *rolls eyes* And why is he so weirdly obsessed with the Luthors. Go attack some other company... other corrupt companies besides LuthorCorp exist out there you know!"

After Arrow, re-watching Smallville once again: "Okay, you know what? This version of Green Arrow now seem more innocent and childish. I still think he's a little bit of a Hypocrite.... but he's not as bad as the Arrow version. At least Smallville's Green Arrow isn't a serial killer who gets off on torturing mooks for information before killing them. and is even a bigger hypocrite than I thought possible. Comared to Arrow, this one's a total teddy bear."

Comment

I don't know if I could say that I liked Green Arrow from the start, but then again, there were things about him that troubled me. Firstly, that he hired two men to kidnap Lex to get to the truth about Dark Thursday.

I do get it. He's more in the grey area where his actions are concerned and he teeters occasionally when it comes to his morals. I was not happy with the way he was written in Season 8, especially during the AoS. The thought that he'd actually gone out to kill Lex just doesn't sit well with me.

Having said that, I liked the fact that he wasn't perfect and that he had emotional issues. I prefer to believe that his drinking and partying was his way of dealing (or not dealing) with his guilt over things that happened in his life. If you've seen the back story on the DVDs, there is a scene between Oliver and his mother which makes me think that he feels guilt after his parents' deaths. Essentially, he told his mother he hated her. Like any young child who has gone through such a traumatic loss, I believe he may have felt that if he hadn't said that, it might not have happened. It's irrational and completely illogical but it's a real psychological phenomenon.

He has issues with abandonment, compounded with guilt, hence the alcohol and the partying became a crutch. It was only when both Lois and Chloe called him on it that he actually snapped out of it. I think that was one of the things that made me like him more. His interactions with the girls especially showed a character who could admit he was far from perfect and could learn from his mistakes. That's what sets him apart from Lex. He does end up taking some responsibility for his actions, unlike Lex, who blames everything on somebody else.

Compared with the Oliver in Arrow, he does seem more likeable. Of course, I have other issues with Arrow, and they are why I stopped watching that series.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                  Funny enough, that Arrow TV show actually got me to like this green arrow a little when I used to loathe Smallville's Ollie Queen with a burning passion.

Before Arrow, when Smallville was still on the air on it's first run-- "Ugh, I hate this guy. He's so hypocritical.... he's a real 'do as I say, not do as I do' kind of person. Everything Lex does is super evil, but the moment Oliver Queen does the same exact thing as Lex is doing it's suddenly okay? Just because he's a Superhero with supposedly good intentions? Right. *rolls eyes* And why is he so weirdly obsessed with the Luthors. Go attack some other company... other corrupt companies besides LuthorCorp exist out there you know!"

After Arrow, re-watching Smallville once again: "Okay, you know what? This version of Green Arrow now seem more innocent and childish. I still think he's a little bit of a Hypocrite.... but he's not as bad as the Arrow version. At least Smallville's Green Arrow isn't a serial killer who gets off on torturing mooks for information before killing them. and is even a bigger hypocrite than I thought possible. Comared to Arrow, this one's a total teddy bear."
                  About my stance on this. I'd grown to dislike Smallville Oliver, but I've had a fondness for that character since season 2 of Arrow, the hallway scene with Laurel and Oliver.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎