No announcement yet.

Episode 1.03: Meet John Smith

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 1.03: Meet John Smith

And so the parental themes continues. Veronica is at odds with her feelings about her parents... her father is repeatedly lying to her in an attempt to protect her and her mother has disappeared... in one breath Veronica spits out the vehemence she has for her mother, naming mommy dearest as the villain in her little story... and in the next breath Veronica chastizes her classmate, Justin, for denying is long-lost father. The parental theme weaves its way into the Kane household as we watch Duncan's parent nag him, drug him and tell him to move on. Certainly VM is a show that explores the strange dynamics between parent and child... most touching when Justin calls his father at the end of the episode and when Veronica thinks she's finally found her mom, only to be disappointed again.

The notable character development in this episode is hands down Duncan, whose dead sister, Lily, confronts him with his apathy, accusing him of not wanting to know the truth about what happened to her. And while Duncan is strong enough to escape his apathy for a few days, he is unable to sustain a life filled with emotional highs and lows... and a life in which he must truly confront the death of his sister. So Duncan very deliberately choose apathy once again.

Veronica's responses to Duncan are also relevent. In their corresponding sex dreams, we finally see the heat between these characters... notably the sex dreams have the current Duncan & Veronica in them... hinting that the sexual tension between them has only grown with time. With Duncan off his medication we see his jealosy (jumping off bleachers when seeing Veronica kissing Troy) and his regrettable love for Veronica (as he tries to get her to remember the past). And it is in these moments... when Duncan acts and speaks... that Veronica can finally fight back and respond to him. But Duncan's choice of apathy at the end of the episode cripples them both and returns them to their world of unresolved conflict.

And poor Veronica and her trust issues. Watching Veronica with Troy in these earlier episodes is terribly frustrating because we see her choosing to trust the wrong people... when later in the show she is unable to trust. Veronica's choice to run to Troy at the end of the episode, instead of Wallace or her father, marks one of the greatest dilemna's in Veronica's character... her desperate need to be independent and strong is always at odds with her desire to be loved and protected by a man. I know that some may balk at this idea and talk about how strong Veronica is... and don't get me wrong she is... but notice that in many episodes Veronica runs for comfort in the arms of her current love interest... she may not confide in him or ask for help... but she goes a running.

Best Quotes:
    Keith: Have you been playing nice with the other children?
    Veronica: You know, Dad, I'm old school. An eye for an eye.
    Keith: I think that's actually Old Testament.
    Keith: Part of me is proud...and let's just leave it at that.
    Veronica: Hey, would you do me a favor?
    Wallace: Why did all the hair on the back of my neck just stick up?
    Keith: I never want you to think you're mom is the villain in all this?
    Veronica: Isn't she?
    Keith: No... It's not that simple.
    Veronica: yeah it is... the hero is the one that stays... and the villain is the one that splits.
    Keith: I don't think that's a healthy perspective.
    Veronica: It's healthier than me pining away every day hoping she'll come home.
    Troy: Don't run, Veronica. People might think that you're desperate.
    Veronica: That would be a step up, reputation-wise.
    Veronica Voiceover: Tragedy blows through your life like a tornado, uprooting everything, creating chaos. You wait for the dust to settle and then you choose. You can live in the wreckage and pretend it's still the mansion you remember....Or you can crawl from the rubble and slowly rebuild....Because after disaster strikes, the important thing is that you move on....But if you're like me, you just keep chasing the storm.

Best Lyrics:
    "Cold outside... but I don't blame the weather..."
    "There's a place I dream about... where the sun never goes out... and the sky is deep and blue... we can begin again... shed our skin... let the sun shine in... at the edge of the ocean..."

so that kids dad was a cross dresser ? The woman was his dad?

Comment

She was his dad. I got the impression that she had gone through with the whole operation... but I don't think it is entirely clear.

Comment

yeahh that confused me.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎