No announcement yet.

Episode 1.02: Credit Where Credit's Due

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 1.02: Credit Where Credit's Due

For some reason some of our episode threads seem to have disappeared... so I'll recreate the missing ones... sorry for the inconvenience.

For the first time in VM we see a somewhat animated Duncan... of course he is never animated around Veronica... with her he still exudes apathy. With the introduction of the character of Troy the audience witnesses three important things: Duncan's ability to be a normal human being, who is somewhat disgusted with his own popular lifestyle, Veronica's inner fight to stop herself from trying to reclaim her old life, and Logan's extreme jealousy when it comes to his "ladies". Throughout the episode Troy and Wallace seem to become Veronica's much needed gang and prevent her from ever slipping into isolation... much like the Scoobie Gang in the Buffy series. The parallels between Weevil and Logan are drawn out and defined in this episode - both are the leaders of their respective gangs, both have a significant amount of distrust towards Veronica, both are somewhat driven by their emotions, and both emit a constant beacon of bravado. And while Logan is a jerk to Veronica in this episode we see signs of the sexual tension later in the season. Additionally, we must not forget that in the previous episode we found out that Logan feels betrayed by Veronica, thinks that Veronica is no longer the same person that was his friend, and that Veronica planted a bong in his locker. Given that, it is understandable, however unforgivable, that he torments her and flattens her tire.

Although the appearance by Paris Hilton is somewhat unfortunate... it is humorous in itself... like some inside joke shared only with sarcastic pop culture intellects that some of us are. Certainly the pink Vespa and pink Gucchi (I think that's the brand) purse only make it more ridiculous and sad... because we can imagine the real Paris going to a high school like that and behaving in that manner.

Best Quotes:

Keith: You hear that, honey? That's leadership. Way to stand up on your own two feet, Lamb, and say, "Hey, the buck stops...there."
    Logan: Tell the truth, Veronica. Did you just sign up for newspaper so you could be near Duncan?

Veronica: No. I'm here so I can be closer to you.
    Troy: Flat?

Veronica: Just as God made me.

Troy: Are you always this persnickety?

Veronica: Sometimes I'm even persnickety-er.
    Duncan: So... wanna go meet the locals or what?

Troy: As long as they're humble, god-fearing, salt-of-the-earth types.

Duncan: (said with sarcasm) Every last one of them.
    Weevil: My reputation? Well then I guess what everyone says about you is true too? That you like it a little bit freaky. That you spy on Duncan Kanen. That you send him pictures of yourself. Be honest Veronica... you think you're this big outsider.. but push comes to shove you're still one of them... you still think like one of them... take off... I don't want you around here.

Best Lyrics:
    "You're sitting there... watching time fly past you... why do tommorrow what you could never do?"

this was a good one.

Comment

Didn't we also find out about Veronica's rape (which I am assuming was what they were hinting at) in this one?
      That whole scenario was really moving to me because it showed that she has things she hides, but still battles to put passed her.

I really enjoy that Veronica started out as one of the "in" crowd at the top, but because of her loyalty to her father, she is now considered a pariah to those she used to be friends with (this is probably why I enjoy the movie, "Can't Buy Me Love", heh).
      Veronica has all the inside information about how they operate, even though she is no longer among their group.

Didn't we also find out about Veronica's rape (which I am assuming was what they were hinting at) in this one?
      That whole scenario was really moving to me because it showed that she has things she hides, but still battles to put passed her.

I really enjoy that Veronica started out as one of the "in" crowd at the top, but because of her loyalty to her father, she is now considered a pariah to those she used to be friends with (this is probably why I enjoy the movie, "Can't Buy Me Love", heh).
      Veronica has all the inside information about how they operate, even though she is no longer among their group.

I also love the parallel with Veronica and her father and how they both believed their was truth out there nobody was even bothering to pursue.
      Last edited by savingpeoplething; 09-20-2006, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Despite the Paris Hilton-ness of this episode having rewatched it, I find the MoTW to be rather strong and I like the way this episode is shot -- one of my favourite shots has to be Weevil ridding his motorcycle against the sunset. It really is a lovely image.

Seeing the budding relationship between Wallace and Veronica is sweet. I'm pretty sad we don't see Troy in S3, although I really love him here and I think what makes these early episodes stronger is the presence of strong characters and he definately contributes toward that.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎