Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did ABC cancel Lois and Clark so suddenly?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two episodes that I watched recently ("Big Girls Don't Fly and "Bob and Carol and Lois and Clark") were embarrasingly bad and stupid. Those are examples why the show was cancelled.

Comment

So exactly why do you think that Big Girls Don't fly was stupid?? Any specific scenes? And please, don't say the special effects, it was a different time back then when it came to special effects....

??

Comment

SteveS, I have to wonder if you watched this show and realized what it was. It was a Romantic Comedy with Superman. It wasn't going to be completely serious and it was going to be cheesy at times. But *for what it was* the show was good, and those two episodes are hardly examples of the best of the best. I can think of a couple of embarrassingly stupid episodes of Smallville that were worse than the two epi's you named.

Comment

Why don't you like Bid girls don't fly?

I loved that one, it was so heartrending, Clark having to leave Lois like that...

I think the show was excallent for the time period, considering what they had to work with, and they made it beleivable, not only that, they made an excallent show.

If only they hadn't canceled it so quickly...

Comment

Personally, I liked almost all of the episodes, but Big Girls Don't Cry isn't really an example of one of the best episodes, which was why I was pointing out that saying the show sucks because of those two episodes is flawed. Most of the really good epi's are Season 1 and 2 ones, though.

Comment

Originally posted by daniexj
              I believe that there are multiple threads on this particular topic here.

Basically, they had renewed for a fifth season, but since they had put it in the kill spot for the fourth season (and the storylines) it had gotten horrible horrible numbers for the fourth season, so they pulled it. I don't believe that they had anything in the works to replace it with. (What I mean is I'm pretty sure that they didn't pull it for another specific show...)

It's difficult to believe that a series with the quality that Lois & Clark had could degenerate so quickly into madness. I was watching Individual Responsibility/Whine, Whine, Whine last night and the writing is magnificent.

Then you have that bloody frog clone crap! To be fair, you can't just blame ABC - the writers were on drugs of some sort.

Originally posted by SteveS
              The two episodes that I watched recently ("Big Girls Don't Fly and "Bob and Carol and Lois and Clark") were embarrasingly bad and stupid. Those are examples why the show was cancelled.

I agree totally. That was Lois & Clark when it went to hell. Season One and Season Two are great though. Really wonderful. Which is why it is so gutting to see the last ever episode with Fat Head Mensa. That was proper rubbish!

Comment

All shows have bad episodes at one time or another.

I don't think anyone can say that "so and so episode" is a reason why the show was cancelled.

It was cancelled because ABC wanted the show gone, and had since the beginning. They moved it to Saturday nights, which they knew was a guarantee death knell for any show.

Comment

Yeah and about the wedding thing, IIRC DC forced them to do it so it would coincide with it happening in the comics?

Comment

one of the reasons I can't fathom SR...going back to an old school version of Clark just being a putz and Superman being more of the real person.

I was so in love with L&C until about the wedding and I thought the entire frog clone arc was hokey and don't get me started on Season 4....it just got worse and the show was just about how many chores Clark could run as Superman and long love speeches.

Comment

I really liked the ending of season 3 transition to season 4. The whole 'Lord Nor New Krypton Arc'. I think that was one of my favorite arc in the entire show. They had alotta fun with things, and showed alot of Clark' s roots.

Comment

Originally posted by j-kent
                        I really liked the ending of season 3 transition to season 4. The whole 'Lord Nor New Krypton Arc'. I think that was one of my favorite arc in the entire show. They had alotta fun with things, and showed alot of Clark' s roots.
                        Yeah but then Clark was no longer special. That meant there were tons of other people that could be just like him. And it made no sense for him to loose his powers on the spaceship as they were still in the solar system. And technically that version of Sueps doesn't instantly loose his powers outside of a yellow sun. He slowly decharges......

Comment

Obviously we can't go by the comics because Kalel is supposed to be the Last Son of Krypton....

Comment

Originally posted by caseybrn
                            Obviously we can't go by the comics because Kalel is supposed to be the Last Son of Krypton....
                            What do the comics have to do with him being "The Last Son of Krypton"

The New Krypton Arc was in L&C not in the comics......

Comment

i also think the Krypton Saga are the best Episodes of the Series, i really enjoyed them.

Comment

I thought it was okay.....but again, it just made Clark not special anymore. and why go back to a world of hardship when you could live on Earth like a God. Clark didn't have the patent on Earth.

Not to mention, the bounty-hunter after Clark......he was horrible.

And I know they didn't have a choice....but I didn't like them having to recast Chang in the middle of the four-parter.

I dunno, I enjoyed cliffhangers like the first season or second much more than the New Krypton Saga.....they depended on more story than sfx.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎