Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superman I:The Movie (1978)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with other posters in that while this movie was overall one of the greatest Superman movies. Gene Hackman did bring it down a few notches however.

Gene Hackman is a great actor.... but he wasn't Lex Luthor to me. Not to mention his evil plan made no sense at all (to me). It didn't seem like the plans of a evil genius at all... but instead seemed like the plans of an money-obsessed idiot who didn't clearly think ahead.

The Lex Luthor I knew in both the comics and the JLA cartoon, would had come up with a far better plan to make money. For instance, he'd find a way to create islands in the ocean using volcanic activity. then turn the islands he created into an tropical vacation spot for rich idiots where he'd overcharge them for things like drinks, vacation homes, etc.
    Of course using volcanoes like that to create islands would be bound to cause earthquakes, huge tidal waves, and so on forth. But Lex being Lex, would just find a way to make that not somehow be his fault legally... so he'd get away with it even though everyone knew he was the cause of those "natural" disasters. Everyone would hate him for being such a Karma Houdini, and that would perfectly sum Lex Luthor up. He's the rich villain who gets away with **** because he's rich and a super-genius who thought far ahead just enough not to get caught by the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
      The Lex Luthor I knew in both the comics and the JLA cartoon, would had come up with a far better plan to make money. For instance, he'd find a way to create islands in the ocean using volcanic activity. then turn the islands he created into an tropical vacation spot for rich idiots where he'd overcharge them for things like drinks, vacation homes, etc.
      Of course using volcanoes like that to create islands would be bound to cause earthquakes, huge tidal waves, and so on forth. But Lex being Lex, would just find a way to make that not somehow be his fault legally... so he'd get away with it even though everyone knew he was the cause of those "natural" disasters. Everyone would hate him for being such a Karma Houdini, and that would perfectly sum Lex Luthor up. He's the rich villain who gets away with **** because he's rich and a super-genius who thought far ahead just enough not to get caught by the law.
      Lex didn't become a rich villain until the character was revamped in 1987.

Comment

He however was still seen as a evil super-genius. But maybe you're right, my viewpoint of the modern Lex Luthor might color my view of the past versions of him. If I see one version of him as being superior then past versions are going to seem inferior by comparison.

Comment

Having watched the Mr. Sunday Movies videos on the 4,5 Christopher Reeve movies, I have concluded that Smallville's Clark was not the OG BDA. The Donnerverse Supes blurts out his weaknesses in interviews. The Smallville Clark only talked about his, with few exceptions, with trusted confidants. He just had the odd bad luck of someone ease dropping on the conversation. He didn't make his weaknesses part of public record, in newspapers (for the whole world to see). Doesn't mean that Smallville's Clark couldn't sometimes be a BDA, it's just that he wasn't the first Clark Kent to be one. Might even come with the territory (Superman's so powerful, that they need him to be a BDA, for the villains to have a chance).

Comment

RIP Ned Beatty.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
              Having watched the Mr. Sunday Movies videos on the 4,5 Christopher Reeve movies, I have concluded that Smallville's Clark was not the OG BDA. The Donnerverse Supes blurts out his weaknesses in interviews. The Smallville Clark only talked about his, with few exceptions, with trusted confidants. He just had the odd bad luck of someone ease dropping on the conversation. He didn't make his weaknesses part of public record, in newspapers (for the whole world to see). Doesn't mean that Smallville's Clark couldn't sometimes be a BDA, it's just that he wasn't the first Clark Kent to be one. Might even come with the territory (Superman's so powerful, that they need him to be a BDA, for the villains to have a chance).
              Late to the game with this reply, but here goes:

I don't think he was being a BDA about it. While he tells Lois he has a problem seeing through lead, it's not a weakness to him. He literally, to that point in time, knows of no weakness he has. He is, as far as he is aware, completely invulnerable to everything. Kryptonite is a non entity at this point. Him saying he can't see through Lead is akin to me admitting I can't see through the walls of a house. Is it really an exploitable weakness to someone who has every reason to believe he is completely and totally invincible?

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎