Special Effects

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. LnC S1 wall-breaking is what I thought as well. The car in the teaser probably to me the worse SV has done on that FX, but you can tell since "Tomb" they have been saving on the budget for the finale. Remember how the heat vision looked right before "Commencement".

Comment

Originally posted by Summers
      Yup. LnC S1 wall-breaking is what I thought as well. The car in the teaser probably to me the worse SV has done on that FX, but you can tell since "Tomb" they have been saving on the budget for the finale. Remember how the heat vision looked right before "Commencement".

Yeah they were going on the cheap side before Commencement. Ageless and Forever had pretty shotty fx.

Comment

Been sometime since we seen X-ray vision... to my recolection this is the first time? I could be wrong. But the special effects were nicely done in this episode, good job all around.

Comment

The special effects were good in this episode. I agree that i would have loved to see him jump toward the elevator and slow it down, but thats just my geek side wanting more.

Comment

Personally,

I still feel like the best effects shot they ever did was back in S1's Rogue when Clark stopped the bus. It looked realistic. In many of the other big effects spots whether it has been the leap of faith in Insurgence, the flight in Crusade, etc... It has been easy to tell that CGI was involved. But the bus stop was straight, to the point, and looked believeable. Definately the one that impressed me the most.

I would have to say that the tornado save in Vortex runs a close second in terms of my favorite effects sequences.

Comment

My favorite effect has to be when Clark flew/jump to catch the rocket. That was just so cool when he was hanging on to it with one arm. It was clearly CGI but I thnk they pulled it off very well.

Comment

Originally posted by F-Stop Blues
                My favorite effect has to be when Clark flew/jump to catch the rocket. That was just so cool when he was hanging on to it with one arm. It was clearly CGI but I thnk they pulled it off very well.
                That was definately well done. Obviously CGI has to be used for the type of effects they have on Smallville. But in terms of realism, I think that the bus stop on Rogue was the most realistic and believeable effect they have had.

Comment

Yup. LnC S1 wall-breaking is what I thought as well.
                  Actually i thought that the L and C wall breaking effects were a little better than the mercy one

Comment

That is immediately what came to mind for me too. When I saw it, it instantly made me think of L&C.

Originally posted by pal-el
                    Actually i thought that the L and C wall breaking effects were a little better than the mercy one
                    Gotta agree with you there. It actually seems like the effects in L&C for the wall, were actually done a bit better. That is probably one of the only times you will see L&C beat Smallville in the effects category though. The effects on L&C are pretty terrible. Especially the flying effects in the earlier seasons of the show.

Comment

Smallville's visual FXs are awesome. The xray of the falling elevator was soooo cool, along with Clark catching it.

Comment

I loved how Clark caught the elevator, despite the fact that Martha and Lionel would be killed nonetheless. The look was perty.

Comment

Originally posted by mech-anic
                          The train hitting the limo in the beginning...That looked very fake....

gawd, yes!
                          I usually try to suspend disbelief when I see the CGI
                          I usually manage it, too

but when I saw the train smash into limo, my BF told me I said 'oh, come ON!'
                          I don't expect total realism, but I thought that effect was terrible, lol...

Comment

good but could have been better

He should have flew up to catch the elivator that would have been bad a**!

Comment

The special effects weren't bad, but some attention to realism (i.e. the physics,) can help. Part of the fun in Superman is not in him using his powers straight on, but in how he uses his abilities to solve problems and catastrophies. In some of the Superman comics, they used to make a point of exactly this (that he did it this way and not that way because the other way would have made a serious problem.)

I hate seeing a stupid Superman whose only great in being ultra strong but who is only successful in using his powers because the writers say so, even if it defies physics.

So far, realism isn't very high in some of the episodes. I would prefer it that I don't put much effort in suspending my disbelieve.

Originally posted by demongene
                              He should have flew up to catch the elivator that would have been bad a**!
                              That is, jumped, caught the elevator cage and used his legs in the concrete (or something similar) to slow it down. But that would have been a little more expensive to produce.
                              Last edited by GreenRock; 04-24-2006, 10:43 PM.

Comment

the part with the cage was alright... But when he catched it was a bit strange. But still.... Would it have been better if he would have cought it and they would have died? :P

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎