Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

R. A Salvatore - everything about dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden
    Terry Pratchett - Discworld (Rincewind, Vimes and Death)
    Terry Goodkind - The Sword of Truth
    Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time

and some polish writers

Comment

I like
      Beacon Street Girls series(currently 9 books in the series and one special where a girl moves to Paris for a while) it's great my best friend and I chose which girls we were and made our own BSG when we were in fifth grade, I still have all the books ^-^

And the Uglies trilogy is currently my favorite. There's Uglies, Pretties, and Specials. I still need to read Specials but the other two are never boring and always exciting.

Comment

Has anyone read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer? I just started reading these and I can't put them down.

Comment

My favorites are probably
          Harry Potter Series
          Meg Cabot ~Princess Diaries/Mediator/All American Girl/Avalon High
          The Chronicles of Narnia( i need to finish them though ,i'm on number 5)
          and as obsessive as i am , i love the Smallville Books/Novels
          I also like Lord of the Rings, but i have trouble reading them so i haven't quit finished them
          Warriors series By Erin Hunter9 i've just started them and already i'm really into them
          Last edited by SuperKyptonGirl13; 09-30-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Definitely the Vampire Chronicles, and Harry Potter!

Comment

Tough to limit them; I'm a big series fan. My latest are:

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher ("Storm Front" is the first)

The Adam Dalgliesh mysteries by PD James ("Cover Her Face" is the first from the 60s. Her 80s books are head and shoulders better.)

The Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz

The Guido Brunetti series by Donna Leon ("Murder at La Fenice" is the first)

... and of course, Harry Potter had his day!

Comment

"The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper. Some of you in the UK may know her. I had to read "The Dark is Rising" in the 6th grade for a literary competition. "The Hobbit" came next. They made a movie recently of TDIR called "The Seeker". It was terrible. The 5 books deal with the Arthurian legend. Merriman Lyon "Uncle Merry" (Merlin) is the thread that pulls the stories of each book together. I especially like "The Dark is Rising" (Will Stanton's story) and "The Grey King". Will and Bran (an albino boy, King Arthur's son, Pendragon) team up in "The Grey King"

It's a light read for anyone over 13 years old, but I haven't seen crows "rooks" the same way since I was 11. I recommend the series to anyone who likes fantasy fiction. "LOTR" or "Chronicles" or "The Never Ending Story". Things like that.

"Over Sea Under Stone" (Reminds me of "Goonies") only the best kid movie of all time!

"The Dark is Rising" (THEE book that introduced me to fantasy fiction as a kid)

"Greenwitch"

"The Grey King"

"Silver on the tree"

When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back;
                Three from the circle, three from the track;
                Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;
                Five will return, and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long;
                Wood from the burning, stone out of song;
                Fire in the candle-ring, water from the thaw;
                Six Signs the circle, and the grail gone before.

Fire on the mountain shall find the harp of gold
                Played to wake the Sleepers, oldest of the old;
                Power from the green witch, lost beneath the sea;
                All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree.
                Last edited by cksidekick; 04-23-2009, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Read "Salems Lot" by Stephen King, its about a writer who moves to a small town to write his new book. At about the same time he moves to town so do two other residents(vampires to be exact). its a pretty good read, and who doesnt enjoy a good vampire novel?

Comment

Lord of the Ring
                    Harry Potter
                    Alex Rider is Great!
                    My all time favorite series is Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series it is so good!

Comment

I read mostly Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler.Also Supernatural has got me back reading THE BIBLE.

Comment

Swoird of Truth series (Terry Goodkind)

Comment

Originally posted by yellowqueen22
                          My favorite series is "Incarnations of Immortality" by Pier Anthony. There are seven books in the series and each book is in the perspective of one of the incarnations... death, time, war, mother nature, fate, devil, and God. They are amazingly written and intricately interwoven. I strongly recommend them.
                          That was my favorite until I discover The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. He is my favorite writer. This series is AMAZING!! Recommend to all.

Just thought of a couple of books by Robin McKinley: THE HERO AND THE CROWN and THE BLUE SWORD
                          Last edited by Sugar; 05-30-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Is anyone else excited for the release next month of Eoin Colfer's new book in the Artemis Fowl series? The Atlantis Complex is Book 7 in the series. The plot synopsys looks way cool

Comment

Hello, I'm just looking around the rest of the boards Thought I'd share a few of my favorite books.

I've got a few favorite authors, my top 3 at the moment would have to be:

Philip Pullman:

One of my all time favorite series of books, His Dark Materials (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). I love the rich imagination of these books and the wonderful characters, especially Lyra, Iorek Brynison and Dr. Mary Malone. All three books are such a thrill to read.
                              I also love the Sally Lockhart series (The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North, The Tiger in the Well, and, not so much, The Tin Princess). Sally has become one of my favorite fictitious female characters. I love the Victorian era in which the books are set, and the wonderfully detailed depiction of Victorian life. My favorite is The Tiger in the Well. I was not so much taken by the last book in the series, The Tin Princess, as it had little Sally, but it still caught my attention enough to read through it.

Neil Gaiman:

The only books I have read of his before are Stardust, Neverwhere and American Gods, the last of which I would never usually have thought twice about reading. It's a book like no other book I've ever read, it's amazing. Neverwhere is a great read, loved the idea of London Below, and I love all the imaginative characters. I read Stardust after I saw the film, again, a brilliant but short read.

Alexander McCall Smith:

5 words: The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency! I love Precious Ramotswe! I love the Botswana setting and the wonderful depiction of South Africa and the lives the people there live. I'm on book 8, The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, at the moment. I also love the humor these books give, they're just a wonderful light and entertaining read.

I've also read The Twilight Saga, and The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. She's not the best writer, IMO, but I do like the stories.

Oh, and Michelle Magorian, one of my favorite childhood authors. All her books are set either during of after Second World War (Goodnight Mister Tom, Back Home, Cuckoo in the Nest, A Spoonful of Jam and Just Henry). I loved them all as a child, and still love them to this day.

Comment

The Divergent series by Veronica Roth. Well okay only the first one is out but still its amazing.
                                Harry Potter by j.k. rowling
                                Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan
                                I am picking up The Hunger Games series today and am super excited. Everyone says its amazing....

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎