Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated It? What did YOU think of Vengeance?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• despite the angels unbearably horrible acting, this was a really good episode! The ending made my heart break for clark! This was a good acting episode for tom welling. He has improved so much as an actor! I am so proud of him! I just want to give him a big hug!

Comment

• i loved how u see clarks point of view but dont u think its kinda random about that vengance chick....

Comment

• every time when we saw the Angel of Vengeance we heard that Batman music - I hated that- because I only want to hear this music connected with Batman

Comment

• I think this was a great episode overall, though I wasn't completely convinced by the Angel of Vengance's acting, she was good, but she didn't have me gripped as much as everyone else. I loved the scenes between Chloe and Clark when they were pretending she was mugged, they were funny, but the best scene of the whole thing was the last one, it was without a doubt the most moving scene I've ever seen, so beautifully put together and Tom's acting was just spot on, made me wanna cry!
          xx

Comment

• I really liked this episode.
            The ending with clark and his mother, when jonathan said goodbye and then clark crying, I really cried too

Comment

• No appreciation, no appreciation at all

My God, I haven't visited this forum in a long time, but after watching Power I wanted to comment on Ms. Mack's outstanding work. I'm really shocked how nasty and negative people have been about this episode. To tell the truth, I haven't really liked Smallville much this year. But Power was tight, it popped visually from start to finish (Mack found interesting ways to make pedestrial scenes/dialogue work), and the story is actually in keeping with how the Lana character has been used in the comics (not specifically, but the comic writers have given Lana things to do that would curl the toes of some of the posters here). At least we can appreciate fine work (Mack, Kreuk), overlook the tedious (Clark Whiner Kent), and enjoy the show for what it offers us. For free.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Sorry, friends, I posted this in the wrong place. First time posting! At least in a long time.
              Last edited by carlralph; 01-30-2009, 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• One of my favorite episodes of all time, and easily my favorite Chloe/Clark scene in it!

10!

Comment

• This episode is ok,but probably the worst superhero episode there is.Liked the new superhero and clarks vengenance was tight.But the plot was boring and so was the new superhero

Comment

• I really enjoyed re-watching this episode a lot. The Angel of Vengeance/Andrea Rojas wasn't nearly as bad an actress/character as I originally may have perceived her. I felt for her character more this time around than I had last time, and the emotional weight of many of the scenes was pretty powerful. I expected nothing less after Clark and Martha's loss in the previous episode. Chloe had many good moments here, too, but I have to admit that her "Acuvue to the rescue" product placement line was really cringe-worthy, LOL. I give it 8 contact lenses out of 10.

Comment

• It was an episode where nothing annoyed me, but at the same time, the plot and writting was average. So no harm done with this one.

Comment

• I really like this episode. It was nice they showcased Clark doing things a little different and hitting the streets of Metroplolis with another Avenenger. I love the action in this ep, very steller stuff! And another highlight of season 5 It was sad Pa Kent was gone but you really felt every1 effected from his loss, and that was emotional.

My only problem is the whole...Lionel comes over to the Kent farm, they played that WAYYYY TO MUCH on this disc. I get it ok, no need to show us every ep. He knocks up at the back door, it gets awkward.

It was a good ep all in all, i like it!

Comment

• The theme of this episode was stronger than the execution. It wasn't without its flaws (weak acting from the FOTW, ropey visual effects, too many overt Batman cues, and blatant product placement) but there were enough strengths that we could overlook the faults. The episode was NOT lacking in heart.

The main theme of the episode is basically Clark going through the stages of grief. We are shown from Andrea's perspective how grief leads to anger and can drive you down the wrong path, purely in search of vengeance. Clark's anger is such that he only pulls back at the last second. It's a nice touch that it was Jonathan's voice that stopped him from taking the same path as Andrea. Not sure about Lionel referring to Clark as "son" given how soon it is after Jonathan's death, and what happened immediately before.

We get to see how affected Martha is by her husband's death. Of course she would be affected, but the episode goes for 'show' rather than 'tell' by dropping little nuances throughout. Annette conveys the lost soul expertly.

Chloe is terrific in this episode, truly supportive just as she was back in 'Blank' (one of my favourite Chloe episodes where she gets to shine in a way that doesn't portray her as a super-hacker or Clark's brain). There's a rare moment of closeness where she comforts Martha. We didn't get enough of those in the series I feel, considering she is one of Clark's oldest friends. The scene where she and Clark are trying to draw out the vigilante by staging a mugging is the funniest moment of the episode. I just loved her fed-up look when she removes her hat!

The episode culminates in one of the finest scenes - period - in the whole series. It's been more than a decade since the episode aired but that final scene with the home video has lost nothing in tugging at the heartstrings, and it's the simplicity that makes it so effective. Maybe it's just my own bit of weirdness but when I've lost people in my life, I've been more impacted by how it has affected others than the loss itself. Seeing others breaking down is the hardest part for me.

My main gripe with the episode is the absence of Lois. Sure, Erica's contract limited her appearances until the final couple of seasons, and there are plenty of storylines where Lois' presence is not needed, but this was not one of them. By this point, she was an honorary member of the Kent family and she was Jonathan's campaign manager. We should have got something to show the impact of his death on her. All we ever got was a soft-focus glimpse back at Clark at the funeral in 'Reckoning', and a bit of empathy at Clark's birthday party in 'Oracle' when Clark saw his dad's birthday card and gift. I don't know why the show's producers omitted showing her reaction to the deaths of key people in her life. We know she was upset when she believed Chloe had died at the beginning of season 4, and we see her upset when her old buddy Wes Keenan dies, but we never see the impact of the deaths of Jonathan Kent and 'Jimmy' Olsen. These were opportunities to show us a softer edge to her generally abrasive and sarcastic character, and I think those people who were critical of her character might have warmed to her sooner if we'd got to see a more rounded presentation.

Comment

• Wow, I'm surprised I haven't commented in this thread earlier... When I think of this episode, I always think of the last scene with Clark & Martha watching Jonathan on an old vcr... That scene is just wonderfully emotional and very beautifully acted

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎