No announcement yet.

No last words for Jonathan?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No last words for Jonathan?

Did this surprise anyone else? Couldn't Jonathan have managed even an "I love you" or something similar? It seems strange that a character who has been imparting his wisdom to Clark for the past 5 seasons just *dies* without saying a word. I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm pretty sure Jonathan spoke to Clark just before he did in the Chris Reeves "Superman." Your thoughts?

I think the look he gave was more than enogh..

Comment

Yeah I agree with TheKents. The way he looked, knowing that this was his last breath, the faint smile he had and the way he looked at Clark as if he was proud of his son, was more than words.

Comment

I was also expecting him to say something like "I'm proud of you son, take care of your mother"

But he just dropped his head and died

Comment

I think some parting wisdom would have been nice. Maybe tell Clark that it wasn't his fault or that he loved him, or that hes become the man that he wanted him to be or something nice. His death seemed a little anticlimactic to me.

Comment

Re: No last words for Jonathan?

Originally posted by kryptonomicon
            Did this surprise anyone else? Couldn't Jonathan have managed even an "I love you" or something similar? It seems strange that a character who has been imparting his wisdom to Clark for the past 5 seasons just *dies* without saying a word. I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm pretty sure Jonathan spoke to Clark just before he did in the Chris Reeves "Superman." Your thoughts?

Glen Ford who played JK in the 1978 movie gave young Clark a pep talk after he showed off, but collapsed just moments after when Clark asked him to race up to the house.

Same outside scene, except it was evening in AG's Smallville Reckoning!

But, it was the looks JK gave to each Martha first then Clark second before he died in their arms. Same scene with all three on the farm driveway!

Comment

Sometimes less is more. The looks JK gave Clark and Martha said it all.

Comment

Final speeches suck. Unless you know for a fact that you're about to die. If he was on his deathbed it would be understandable. On Buffy, Tara's last words "Your shirt." after being shot. It wrapped up her character perfectly. Showing how much she loved Willow until the end. It was better then her saying "Willow, I love you. Don't forget me! Goodbye!!" The truth is, You don't always get a last word.

Comment

I tohught that would of been a great time (ok well dieing aint a great itme but you know what I mean) for that converstion at the end of the pilot episode to come back up about how Clark felt in 5 years. But honestly I thought the silent farewell said as much as any of Jonathan's platitutdes would have.

Comment

Well, when Lana died (because it wasnt how things were meant to be) Johnathan told Clark "Its Not Your Fault, there was nothing you could've done." I took that as his "last words" because it is the same what when HE died. In a round about way, it is his fault, but he didnt ASK to be brought back to life... Destiny.

Comment

yeah I thought we would get some last words, even if it was not when he died. Earlier in the episode, I was expecting a Father/Son talk.

Comment

Originally posted by smallville_fetish
                        Yeah I agree with TheKents. The way he looked, knowing that this was his last breath, the faint smile he had and the way he looked at Clark as if he was proud of his son, was more than words.
                        Exactly. I thought he looked at Clark like he was so proud of him, even wanting to say something, but alas, he died. I thought it was a very strong ending for a easy way to die. I will always hate that they killed off dad, but i think that look from jk to ck was great. I'm sad for Clark. It's too bad he can't shed a tear for him. But that's okay. I did it for him.

Comment

That is a look on Clark's face was one of deep sadness, acceptance and it's a brave face.

One of my best friend's father who died of a heart attack. I went with him to the funeral for moral support and he just stood there, he didn't cry.

I realized that people that don't cry at funerals have probably already cried themselves out.

I could feel his pain inside of me, I could sense his grief and there was nothing I could do for him to help him heal the hole in his heart.

When I looked into his face and his blue eyes...That look on his face that said "I've just lost a piece of my heart, a piece of my soul, things will never be the same again".

It's not that he didn't want to cry but he had already cried himself at home probably privately in his or up in his loft. He was just trying to be brave for his mother.

After that funeral scene my heart was crying.
                          Last edited by Lana_Lang #1; 01-30-2006, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Take it from somebody who's seen every single episode of smallville. When he put one arm around Martha, and the other around Clark, and glanced at each before he died he said something.

"He said, i'm going to die now. But its a happy death because the last two things I will see on this earth are the two of you."

And if you couldn't read that from the scene then watch it again.

Comment

I think that scene was beautifully executed, JK was really proud of clark and there were no words enough to say goodbye. he did everything he could for clark and that was enough for me.
                              miss you already Pa'

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎