show during that same hour.So I guess
    the real Dukes of Hazzard reuion must
    have been a hit it sure was for me.I hope
    we see Mr.Wopat makes his SV return
    someday and who knows we may see
    Mr.Wopat get more screentime on his
    next visit to Smallville

Comment

So most people with any clout around here know I am a ratings/stats machine and I've posted graphs, data ect. before.

Here's a piece of kind advice to everyone. NEVER use ratings to justify your own character or ship preference because it is an ignorant thing to do if you don't have or consider all the facts. If you want to appear ignorant, fine, keep doing it. But it just helps us to identfy the under 14s who jump Math classes posting in this thread.

HERE ARE THE FACTS:

If you look back over the last three seasons the overall ratings always started off very strong for the first to episodes and then dip and rise. Anyalysing the different themes and focus you notice that no real trend beyond the first four episodes. But then you have to look at the competition. The reason is simple. Different shows have staggered starts and staggered periods of hiatus that don't necessarily overlap. Furthermore, specials like sports and movies also massively impact share for all networks.

So why did the ratings for the last three weeks seem to drop. Simple. When Aqua was on there was no O.C. and limited competition from FOX. The following week, the share dropped a little and the ratings dropped a lot more. This had a lot to do with the fact that the overall number of viewers watching all networks dropped. And this week, the competition was higher but the overall viewing numbers remained lower. The conclusion being, as usual, outside factors were major in the last three weeks.

Furthermore, there is an in-built error-factor in the ratings. A difference of .1 or .2 can be as much about the error across data sampling size that the ratings compiler (i.e. Nielsen Media) is using as its basis. So small changes up or down have to be expected and are automatically irrelevant. The big networks know that. Its just ignorance that makes people think that matters. It's only when a downward trend continues for a whole block of episodes, as per last season, that you can begin to look in more detail.

After statistical issues, the biggest factor the rating analysis companies and network acknowledge are the biggest influence on ratings are the previews and current show satisfaction. All I can say on this is that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the trailers for Arrival, Hidder, Aqua and Splinter were far more professional that those presented for Thirst or Exposed. I would be suprised if others here didn't agree with that. That tells its own story.

The problem here is that people jump on ratings without even bothering to check the facts. Just as it is wrong to say Aqua did well because of lack of Lana it is wrong to say Exposed did poorly because of lack of Lana. Or that Aqua did well because of Aquaman and Lois while Exposed did poorly because of the Dukes and Lois.

It the same old story we always get in these threads. And the same old reposte from me. Which I only make because I can't stand ignorance. There's no excuse for it.

Last edited by Hellbinder; 11-05-2005, 12:20 PM.

Comment

i like what you said Hellbinder. i just hate it when people put the blame on a character when ratings drop.

Comment

I am new to this board has been a smallville fan from the beginning. Season 5 is shaping up to be the best season yet. I love it!

The ratings went down a bit because of the new OC episode. If there has been an OC episode last week the ratings would also be down. So thats that.

OC sucks just had to say that

Comment

Thank you Hellbinder, you were able to articulate what I was trying to say. There's no point in playing the blame game, especially when the ratings dip was insignificant. Let's just all bask in the glorious light that is Smallville - spread a little love, guys

Comment

Axe to Grind

Hellbinder,

Your post ( along with several others) is very well said. Unlike one or two posters that seem to have an axe to grind. It's pretty obvious who is being objective here....and who is not. And frankly, I'm not surprised. I'm very familliar with the names of one or two of them.

Myself.....personally.....and as someone else has also commented......have always felt that the previous show or shows are what often effect the next episode or even an entire series as far as its loyal fans are concerned. After all, how can you know an episode is truly good or bad unless you see it first. And I know that competition, along with any number of factors, can make a big difference as well. But it almost seems like some people would rather wear blinders than come face to face with these other possibilities. And that's very annoying to witness.......especially when these possibilites are presented to them in well stated arguments.

Again, excellent post.....very informative.
              Last edited by CK&CK; 11-05-2005, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Im glad SV is holding up strong. Hopefuly it'll stay that way.

Comment

So then tell me why is it that people played the "blame game" right after Thirst aired? Did ppl care enough to justify all the ugly things that was said just becoz it dipped right after Aqua? No, ppl kept on playing the blame game, so why is it not ok to do the same for this episode?

Ofcourse not, because the majority of ppl here care about Lois and truth is, there is Superiorty in this forum and those few who do defend Lana/Clana feel the inferiority among the people here. So i'm sorry if what we're doing is the same thing that most of you are doing.

Also, there are a few ppl in here who voice their opinions and even fewer who will stand up against those who belittles them.

And ofcourse it is all about which ship you sail because obviously it's always better than the other. <sarcasm>

Comment

Very well said, Hellbinder.

Absentee, I think it's safe to say a large number of people posting in this forum are not ratings/statistics experts like Hellbinder. But this is a forum after all, and though sometimes remarks can get out of hand, I for one don't let it affect my viewing pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Absentee
                      So then tell me why is it that people played the "blame game" right after Thirst aired? Did ppl care enough to justify all the ugly things that was said just becoz it dipped right after Aqua? No, ppl kept on playing the blame game, so why is it not ok to do the same for this episode?

Ofcourse not, because the majority of ppl here care about Lois and truth is, there is Superiorty in this forum and those few who do defend Lana/Clana feel the inferiority among the people here. So i'm sorry if what we're doing is the same thing that most of you are doing.

Also, there are a few ppl in here who voice their opinions and even fewer who will stand up against those who belittles them.

And ofcourse it is all about which ship you sail because obviously it's always better than the other. <sarcasm>
                      ya thirst that just sucked vampires, puhlezz anyway alot of people on this forum are chlarkers or cloisers or clanaers so what i happen to find lana nauseating big deal its my opinon. i loved exposed not becuz lana wasn't there bucuz truthfully i didn't even notice she was gone but becuz it was a good story. the ratings dropped by what a tenth of a percent that wasn't becuz of lois and her bad stripping it was becuz of the OC (the worst show ever) thirst sucked becuz of the whole stupid vampire shctick not that it wasn't a good chuckle,but it was just so unbelivable stupid vampire bats in smallville kansas *rolls eyes*. and sadly the majority will always belittle the minority its just the way things are.

Comment

I forgot P of the C was coming on. If I had remember I would have kicked SV to the curb. I love johnny adn orlando.

Comment

Originally posted by Absentee
                          I never said we should condone any type of blaming at all It's just sometimes people get so worked up and defensive about their favourite character, it gets a bit out of hand. There's no point in adding fuel to the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurby
                            I never said we should condone any type of blaming at all It's just sometimes people get so worked up and defensive about their favourite character, it gets a bit out of hand. There's no point in adding fuel to the fire.
                            too true, too true.

Comment

Originally posted by thehenry89
                              ....and sadly the majority will always belittle the minority its just the way things are.
                              I applaud you for your honesty. You actually had the balls to say it. Not many ppl would.

But I'm guessing you're one of those people who like to stomp on others and actually get some sort of pleasure from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎