Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like Lionel?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes lionel was the best. Have you seen the quality of this show post Lionel, the show has gone down, down,down....

Comment

• lionel season 1-3 was one if not my favourite character on this show i loved the magnificent b@stard so much more than jor-el's vessel that totally ruined his character.

Comment

• Loved Lionel from the start. Whether as a hero or villain, corrupt businessman or vessel for Jor-El, he was a fascinating character to watch. The fact that John Glover is one of the best actors in the show didn't hurt of course.

I'd also note that I don't think he ever stopped being the MB. Even after his turn to the light, he was brilliant at using unethical means for ethical ends, and screwing Lex over time and again. I still swear they had to kill him off just to get Lex out from under his shadow.

Comment

• I LOVE Lionel, all the way! He's just so incredibly awesome And JG is brilliant.

Comment

• Lionel is the reason I started watching Smallville.

Comment

• We miss you oh so much, LL !

Comment

• Originally posted by Daddylion
                Yeah actually in season 4 when they showed good lionel i really liked it cause it gave even more depth to the character, like there's goodness inside of him.
                We see the goodnesss again in seasons 5-7 though. He protected Clark's secrete for years, & even died protecting it. If that's not sign of goodness, I don't know what is.

Comment

• Lionel is awesome! everytime he's on screen, I had such joy because he's so fun to watch. John Glover did an amazing job at playing him! IMO, he was the best actor in Smallville. Weather he's playing good Lionel or evil Lionel, he is a blast to watch from start to fiinish!

Comment

• John made for such a great Lionel Luthor. The problem is, he made such a convincing evil dude that even when he turned "good" I still have a hard time believing he's actually "good". Especially when he still uses unethical means to suit his own ends... the fact that he's doing it for "good" now doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence that he is in fact a genuinely good guy now.

And the other problem I have with Lionel Luthor's redemption is the fact that Lionel did not do this heel-turn on his own willingly. An alien computer hijacked his mind, and started messing around with the wires in his head... basically programming him to see Clark as somebody he should support, etc. So To me he did not turn into a good guy out of his own free will... deep at heart, he's still a evil guy who's been duped into thinking he's a good guy.

And I think Lex Luthor was the only one who could see that, having known his father better and longer than the other people in their life had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                      John made for such a great Lionel Luthor. The problem is, he made such a convincing evil dude that even when he turned "good" I still have a hard time believing he's actually "good". Especially when he still uses unethical means to suit his own ends... the fact that he's doing it for "good" now doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence that he is in fact a genuinely good guy now.

And the other problem I have with Lionel Luthor's redemption is the fact that Lionel did not do this heel-turn on his own willingly. An alien computer hijacked his mind, and started messing around with the wires in his head... basically programming him to see Clark as somebody he should support, etc. So To me he did not turn into a good guy out of his own free will... deep at heart, he's still a evil guy who's been duped into thinking he's a good guy.

And I think Lex Luthor was the only one who could see that, having known his father better and longer than the other people in their life had.
                      I don't necessarily think that. I think Jor-El just gave Lionel a wider view of things. Like what happened to Lex in the All Star Superman cartoon movie.

Comment

• Maybe. but why would he continue to work with Lex and still give him ****** advice that only a evil dad could give behind the scenes, while supporting Clark publicly? It just felt like Lionel Luthor was playing both sides that way for his own ends.

It was like Lionel was thinking: "Uh, so Clark Kent is an powerful alien? Amazing! But thanks to this programming in my head, I can't do anything about that. Oh, but Lex can do what I can't do in my place! Hmm... I see, I could play both sides to my advantage here. I could convince Jor-el that encouraging my son to act evil and build up an army against Clark would inspire Clark to become a hero, thus fulfilling his destiny. Lex could get to research Alien tech that I can steal for my companies... and the best part, I would get to look like a total saint for supporting Clark publicly. I'd be able to collect information from both the good and bad guys. Huh, pretending to be a good guy is a pretty sweet deal."

If Lionel Luthor was aware of his head being tampered with, I imagine that would be how he would think..

Comment

• Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                          Maybe. but why would he continue to work with Lex and still give him ****** advice that only a evil dad could give behind the scenes, while supporting Clark publicly? It just felt like Lionel Luthor was playing both sides that way for his own ends.

It was like Lionel was thinking: "Uh, so Clark Kent is an powerful alien? Amazing! But thanks to this programming in my head, I can't do anything about that. Oh, but Lex can do what I can't do in my place! Hmm... I see, I could play both sides to my advantage here. I could convince Jor-el that encouraging my son to act evil and build up an army against Clark would inspire Clark to become a hero, thus fulfilling his destiny. Lex could get to research Alien tech that I can steal for my companies... and the best part, I would get to look like a total saint for supporting Clark publicly. I'd be able to collect information from both the good and bad guys. Huh, pretending to be a good guy is a pretty sweet deal."

If Lionel Luthor was aware of his head being tampered with, I imagine that would be how he would think..
                          He was still Lex's Father in a way. Lionel always had a way of caring about Lex, not very well though.

Comment

• I guess so. I guess it's realistic that even though Lionel got brainwashed into being a good guy, that it wouldn't magically turn him into a good father too. It's difficult to stop being such a ****** father, especially when the computer AI that brainwashed you is also very bad at being Clark's father so therefore it wouldn't know what a good father looked like.

In a lot of ways, Evil Lionel's parenting methods were very similar to the ones that the Jor-el AI used on Clark. In fact it's kind of creepy to see the similarities they have in personality.

Jor-el: "My son is not listening to me at all. I guess it's time to resort to the torture method. I'll carve an S shield into Clark's chest and have him writhe in agony for weeks... that will surely break his will and make him bend to my will. I'll brainwash him into the perfect son I want."

Lionel Luthor: "WTF, my son is actually trying to do the right thing by trying to hold me accountable for my crimes? Well, time to drug my own son so that everyone thinks he's crazy. Then it's electroshock time! Oh boy, he'll be easy to mold into the kind of son I want afterward!"

Kind of obvious why Jor-el choose Lionel as his vessel.

Comment

• I HATED him at the beginning but i loved his redemption story and by the end of the show he was basically my favourite character haha

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎