Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lex Luthor in "Mortal": Guilty or Innocent?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swie
    The whole "Lex did it" thing came out of nowhere for me... when Clark came in and punched him I was like WTF?

1. It really doesn't look like Lex purposefully broke those guys out of prison. He accidentally bumped into them, we don't see any interaction or sign of recognition from either of them.

2. The guys heard about Clark in Belle Reve because according to the show, 90% of FotW that Clark pwns end up in there. Lex had nothing to do with that. It's not the first time Belle Reve patients tried to lure Clark in and then use him to escape, even.

3. The flashlight thing makes no sense. If he were testing Clark he would try NOT to give him ways other than superpowers to get through the door (such as Chloe + flashlight fingerprints).

4. As far as I remember, Lex was trying to patch up his friendship with Clark, and he and Lana didn't even speak to each other. She went up to wait for Clark, Lex talked to Clark, then they both left. He wasn't trying to stall her.

5. "Lex made the vent system shutdown"... Chloe herself said that Clark tripped something that created the automatic shut down, which would make sense cuz he was extremely clumsy and those vents were too big not to have some security on them. And Clark WASN'T lost, he just felt like it. So him thinking "I better get the kid moving" would be pointless and silly.

6. Luthorcorp guards are notoriously stupid. Sometimes they're around, other times Chloe can just waltz through the building like it's nothing. Same with the mansion security.... but yes, this is probably the only clue I thought pointed to Lex's involvement.

Although you might consider the fact that it's a restricted area, so posting guards there would give it away. Maybe Lex learned from the janitor who turned into a freak and tried to kill him incident.

7. Gee... cameras in a secure area. How diabolical! I really don't get the deal with the cameras. There's no evidence that Lex was watching them at the time...

In fact: Lex was seen watching the video feed... HOURS AFTER IT HAPPENED. He just said "this is impossible" when Clark came in, obviously he hadn't been watching before.

It would make sense because Clark tripped an alarm. Obviously the CEO would want to watch the video to see what had happened to make the vent system shut down.

This is the thing that proves to me Lex was innocent... he hadn't been watching the video, he got home late, found out that there was a break in, and checked out the video, hours after it happened.

His reaction to the blood is understandable, we NEVER SEE CLARK BLEED. Any moron would be suspicious at that.

Also... Chloe traced the video feed... so? Obviously it would lead back to Lex, he owns the cameras. We don't hear her tracing the video feed and hacking his computer to find that he was literally WATCHING the video, not just downloading it.

Basically Mortal was just Clark having another hissy fit. Lex should stop being friends with him after this: he didn't even let the guy get a word in edgewise.

Although I do feel Lex is the "Villain of the Story", in this instance I 100% agree with you. Clark just jumped to conclusions without using Logic.

Comment

Guilty. Yeah any kind of relationship depends on honesty, but putting some's family and girlfriend in danger just to uncover their secret is inexcusable.

Comment

A lot of those answers are correct. Can't choose just one.

To test Clark, Lex put the Kents and Lana in mortal danger. Nothing Clark's done excuses that.

I think this is the episode where their friendship truly ends.

Comment

Originally posted by RightWingConspirator
          To test Clark, Lex put the Kents and Lana in mortal danger. Nothing Clark's done excuses that.
          I am sure the two meteor freaks had strict order not to harm anybody. However, considering Lex's luck with his hirelings - not to mention Ollie's (he put Lex in mortal danger, too) I would have expected Lex to be more careful. Apparently, he has not learned this lesson, yet.

I think this is the episode where their friendship truly ends.
          Did not look like it ever ended to me.

Comment

I kinda agree that it's ambiguous whether or not Lex did it (don't hurt me! ). I mean, the evidence can, as shown above, all be explained some other way, and Clark just jumped to conclusions based on a). a theory of Chloe's, and b). the way he feels about Lex. I think Lex did set it up, but what if he hadn't? Clark wouldn't have given him a chance to say that, and probably wouldn't have believed him if he had. (This epsiode shows how much Clark is truly Jonathan's son in lot of ways, what with the judging and the hasty decisions. )

Comment

Originally posted by Arbar
              I kinda agree that it's ambiguous whether or not Lex did it
              Yeah, so was the evidence that pointed to Lex killing or having someone kill the doctor with the healing drug in Rage. Doesn't make me think she died coincidentally, though.

Comment

Sure I was talking more about Clark having little evidence - even less than the audience had, and it was deliberately obscured a little for us.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                  Yeah, so was the evidence that pointed to Lex killing or having someone kill the doctor with the healing drug in Rage. Doesn't make me think she died coincidentally, though.
                  If I recall correctly the doctor in "Rage" was killed by a junky who wanted the healing drug again, but she wasn't willing to give it any more. It also would not have made sense for Lex to kill her. There are other ways to get what he wants and he had the drug and the research and could give them to his scientists.

As to the Clark set up in "Mortal" I do believe it was Lex. But as I said before I think he felt sure that those two meteor freaks would not hurt the Kents. My only problem with this decision of his is that I think he could not be sure a hundred percent.

However, considering what had just happened in "Arrival" and Lex having to suspect that Clark was the Kal El the two superpowered hostile aliens were searching for and that he had a spaceship he couldn't even open and that he knew he was Sageeth (and thus was personally involved by fate itself) and Clark going back into his "farm and Lanalanalana" mode instead of finding out more about the invasion, I think he had more than enough reasons for a plot like that. I just think that a master plotter like him could have come up with a different incentive for Clark - one that does not involve others to be in possible danger. So I guess I am like Lionel in this respect: Lex's idea was good and right - but the execution was flawed.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎