Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clana - How "This Time" Will be Different (PG-13)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clana - How "This Time" Will be Different (PG-13)

Title: Clana – How “This Time” Will be Different
    Author: Ajfinn
    Pairing: Clark & Lana
    Rating: PG-13
    Spoilers: Based solely on the end of season 4, preceding any season 5 spoilers.

Short summary: Clark cares for Lana after the meteor storm, and they both make confessions which bring their destinies closer than they could have imagined. Isobel’s past is visited through Lana’s reoccurring dreams, where she discovers the events which led to her interest in the stones, and the mysterious man who stole her heart. Primary characters include: Clark, Lana, Isobel, Kal, Marguerite, Chloe, Jimmy, Mr. Olsen, Lex, Jonathan and Martha.

Part 1:

“Are you all right?” Clark asked Lana, carrying her over the threshold of her Talon apartment. “You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.”

Lana shivered in his arms. “Funny you say that, Clark. That’s exactly how I feel,” she said. “This is the first time I’ve been back here since . . . well, since before the meteor shower.” Lex had told her the mess was taken care of, but to her, the apartment felt no less haunted than three days ago when Isobel murdered Genevieve. Lana’s hands still stung from the power of the stone, as though it had seared Genevieve’s blood into her skin forever.

Clark had a feeling that what Lana referred to had more to do with the mysterious condition of the element she gave him, than it did the meteor shower. “Let’s get you settled, then I’ll make some dinner.” He set her down on the couch, being as careful as he could with her broken leg.

“You’ll make some dinner?” Lana asked, unable to hide her smirk. Clark’s ability to calm her always seemed to be a special power he possessed. One among the many she was starting to suspect he had. “Well, in that case I’d like to order cordon bleu, Mr. Kent.”

“I was thinking more along the lines of mac and cheese,” Clark said, propping up pillows behind her head, and one under her leg. “But I have to warn you that you may wish you were back eating hospital food with my parents.”

Lana became serious again, taking his hand. “I’m glad your folks are okay. We were all worried about your dad that first day, but as the doctors told you tonight, his heart’s doing much better.” Martha had been released from the hospital earlier that evening along with Lana, but insisted on staying with her husband.

With the house a wreck, along with the police investigation surrounding Jason Teague’s curious injuries—including a gun shot wound to his shoulder, there was no where to go anyway. But that wasn’t the reason Martha suggested Clark stay with Lana tonight, he could’ve stayed in the loft if he had to. Lana needed someone to care for her, and Chloe was staying with Lois in Metropolis for the next few days. Clark was the only option, and as out of character as it seemed for his mother to suggest such a thing, he’d be the last to complain about it. He needed a situation just like this one to tell Lana what he had to.

After his experiences in the Fortress of Solitude, it was time she knew his secret.

“I still can’t believe you made it out of that helicopter alive, Lana,” he said, stroking her cheek.

“And I can’t believe anyone made it through that day at all,” she said, giving him a curious look, then glancing away. She’d been so concerned about him over the past three days, that when he showed up at the hospital tonight, she was so relieved to see him that she didn’t care where he’d disappeared to this time. Or did she? The visions she’d had since her tattoo vanished, which seemed to be memories Isobel left behind, were so vivid and real, but made no sense whatsoever. But somehow, after the first vision she had of Clark fighting Isobel, Lana knew the stone she’d been hiding was meant for Clark. But why? And what did he do with it?

After the two of them ate a very sticky variation of macaroni and cheese, and had a surprisingly delicious dessert of peanut butter and bananas—called the Clark Kent special, Lana thanked Clark for dinner and asked a simple question. “Are you tired, or can we talk for a while?”

Having looked at Lana’s beautiful face for the past hour—seeing the smile he wondered if he’d ever see again, Clark was feeling anything but tired. “I’m fine,” he said. “What do you want to talk about?” It was safe to assume it wouldn’t be the weather.

Lana took in a deep breath, knowing what she was about to say might send him out the door. “Clark, the stone I gave you had Genevieve Teague’s blood on it,” she said. “I, or rather, Isobel killed her with it.”

Clark’s face turned white, and he swallowed down a lump the size of a boulder. “Lana, it’s not your fault. That was my biggest fear since I realized Isobel had the power to inhabit your body,” he said, putting his arms around her shaking frame, “that she’d do something awful you’d feel responsible for.”

For a time, Clark thought she’d never catch her breath from crying, and he couldn’t imagine what she’d gone through the past few days, having no one to talk to. He wished he could take her to the Fortress of Solitude that very moment, so she could feel the peace it offered.

“And there’s more, Clark,” Lana said, calming her sobs at last. “There’s so much more I have to tell you, but I’m afraid you’ll think I’ve absolutely lost my mind.” She could not even imagine what Clark’s reaction would be when she told him about the spaceship she saw. Surely he would think she’d hit her head in the helicopter accident and had some sort of hallucination.

“Lana, you know I’d never think that of you. I’ll believe anything you tell me,” he said. “But it’s not right that you trust me with your deepest secrets, when I’ve been hiding my own for so many years.”

Lana tilted her head and smiled. “It’s okay, Clark,” she said. “I don’t want you to feel obligated to tell me anything. Whatever secrets you have, and however frustrating they’ve been at times, I’ve finally come to the conclusion that they allow you to help people. And that’s a good enough explanation for me.” Lana could hardly believe the words had left her lips. She knew what she said was true, that it was how she felt, but Clark seemed to be offering a chance for her to at last know the truth. She wanted more than anything to take it, but didn’t want tonight to be about forcing him to admit things he wasn’t ready to.

“Wow, that wasn’t exactly the reaction I expected,” Clark said, sitting back on the floor beside the couch. “But if you’ve grown to trust me that much, then I’m right to assume you’re ready to know my secret. And I’ve waited long enough to tell you. It’s a choice I made before I even came here tonight.”

Lana nodded, having no words for the long awaited occasion.

“I’m not exactly sure where to start, because the beginning may be the part I’ll need to save for the end,” Clark said, shaking his head at how stupid that must have sounded. But to start by telling Lana he was from another planet seemed to be too much for anyone to process without being warmed up a bit. Especially when he’d also have to tell her that the meteor shower that killed her parents was sent to earth to mask his arrival. No, he’d start with something more believable.

“Lana,” he said. “I’ve been at the North Pole for the past three days.”

***Note to first time readers of this fanfic: this story has 80 parts and is completed. Scroll through the pages to read more ***
    Last edited by ajfinn; 10-02-2005, 02:49 PM.

I do. Good start, PPMS.

Comment

Please post more, I am definetly hooked. CLANA 4 EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice start. ppms

Comment

I really liked it you definetely got my attention. Keep em coming.

Comment

i liked it please keep posting asap

Comment

please post more

Comment

This is going to be really good , I can already tell ! haha .. keep going , it's great !

Comment

Oh man! If the season 5 premiere doesn't go something like this I will be severly disappointed.

I love what you are doing and can't wait for the rest.

PPMS.

Comment

Thanks for your positive feedback! Here's more of the story:

Part 2

Clark anticipated Lana’s shock, but he didn’t expect her laughter. “So what are you saying, Clark?” she asked. “You think you’re Santa Claus?”

He laughed with her, grateful that the light moment settled his stomach a little. “Actually, that might not be such a bad gig,” he said. “But no, you won’t be seeing me in a red suit anytime soon.”

“Yeah, plaid is more your thing,” Lana said. “And sorry, but you don’t really have the body for the big guy's job anyway.”

Clark squinted one eye. “I think I’ll take that as a compliment.”

After at time of continued banter, Lana felt a rush of seriousness enter her again. “But, really, Clark,” she said. “Where were you? I was worried sick.” It never seemed that she stopped worrying about him when he disappeared without a word to anyone, but the past few days felt different. She knew the stone she gave Clark was dangerous, and feared what it might have done to him. Both Genevieve and Isobel had been willing to kill for it. And there was no doubt that it ruined the relationship between she and Jason, something she didn’t regret as much as she thought she would, but still felt a sting of bitterness within her. And the stone had turned Lex into a mad man.

“I’m sorry I worried you,” Clark said, bringing Lana’s hand up to his lips. “If I’d had any control over what happened I never would have left. Especially not during the meteor shower, but . . . ” Okay, Clark told himself, here it is, be a man. “ . . . but the truth is that the stone you gave me was only one in a set of three that I was supposed to find a long time ago. And when I put them all together, I was whisked off to the North Pole.” Clark stopped and waited for Lana to exhale, her face was turning blue. He was sure his own face matched the lava lamp on Lana’s sofa table. “There, I said it. The beginning of it, anyway. Strange, huh?”

Lana blinked at last. “Strange is somewhat relative around here, Clark,” she said. “What happened when you got there? And how did you get back to Smallville?”

“You mean you believe me?” Clark asked, standing in surprise.

“Clark, I spent a good portion of my senior year possessed by a revenge-seeking witch who was burned at the stake hundreds of years ago,” she said, more serious than intended. “I’m the last person who would doubt the supernatural. Nor the power of the stones.”

Well, that was easier than Clark expected. He just hoped her acceptance of things would continue. Being teleported to the North Pole was no big leap, he guessed. But her reaction was sure to be more dramatic when he revealed how he spent last summer—in the Phantom Zone. Yeah, how exactly was he going to explain that without Lana suggesting psycho-therapy?

For now, he’d pretend like he forgot about her questions concerning what happened at the North Pole—anything he said would sound ridiculous right now . . . Well, Lana, I built an enormous ice castle, complete with my own video conferencing system to speak with my dead alien father who still continues to run my life. Oh, and how did I get back to Smallville? Clark couldn’t even imagine answering that question—not until Lana was more familiar with his other abilities. And those alone might freak her out enough to stop being curious.

“It’s been a pretty crazy year for all of us,” Clark said. “But like you told me in the car, Isobel must be gone for good if your tattoo has disappeared.”

Lana gave a confident nod. “Ding dong the witch is dead,” she said, offering a genuine smile of relief. “But if you can believe it, Clark, being possessed by Isobel was not the strangest thing that happened to me this year.”

“What could top that?” Clark asked, doubting that anything more bizarre than Isobel could slip by him.

“I guess it’s my turn to offer up another one of my secrets,” Lana said, still certain that anything Clark revealed couldn’t possibly sound as far-fetched as what she was about to tell him.

“So that’s how we’re doing things?” Clark asked, kneeling next to her so she’d know she had his full attention. “I have a hunch you might run out of turns before I do.”

“We’ll see about that,” Lana answered, then took a sip of water to wet her mouth that suddenly felt like sandpaper. “Clark, after the helicopter crashed, I saw a huge mound of dirt straight ahead of me, and I thought if I climbed it, I could get a better idea of where I was. But after I dragged myself to the top, I saw a . . . ” she couldn’t bring herself to say it.

“A what, Lana?” Clark asked, trying to hide his panic. Jor-el had warned Clark that his reluctance to seek out and unite the stones had awakened a great evil from space, and he’d had dreams while he was in the Fortress of Solitude about what form that evil would come in.

“A spaceship,” Lana said in a croak. “A spaceship with a hatch—that opened, Clark. And then a light spilled across my face, but I didn’t see anything, I just heard a terrifying voice. And then I blacked out.”

Clark’s suspicions were true. He remained as composed as he could. “What did the voice say, do you remember?”

Lana rubbed the sides of her head, feeling the confusion all over again. “Yes, but it doesn’t make any sense,” she said. “The voice was strong and clear: Take me to Kal-el.”

Anyone ready for part 3?
                    Last edited by ajfinn; 06-24-2005, 04:25 PM.

Comment

awesome chapter

Comment

u got me hooked there. great start and very intriguing. PPMS

Comment

Yeah, I'm ready. Left it out on a cliff there, how could I not want to read more?

Comment

this is so great ! keep posting !!

Comment

wow, just amazing liked the way things are going so far , and lana seems to be really cool about the thruth, wanna see how she will react when Clark tell her all, please keep on posting, really good job!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎