No announcement yet.

Fantastic Four (2024)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic Four (2024)

Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-11-2021, 07:00 PM.

Jon Watts has stepped down as director.

Frankly, after having rewatched the 2005 film, the 2007 film, and part of the 2015 film (along with a few episodes of the 1990s animated series, which I didn't think were very good either) recently, I question the viability of a Fantastic Four movie. I've seen people talk about how they're important, as they're Marvel's first family. It doesn't necessarily make someone an ideal candidate for a movie. Also, they're Marvel's first family, when it comes to the comics. When it comes to the MCU, they'd just be yet another IP.

It's like I've begun to realize with Wonder Woman. Sure, she's a significant character for DC Comics history (though, when you look outside of DC Comics, you find numerous superheroines predating her), but when you move her out of the comics (and into stuff like film and television), she requires a certain context to be significant: to be the first female superhero (like she's allowed to be in the DCEU).

But, in the DCAU, they had already introduced Batgirl, Supergirl, Zatanna. In her first appearance, Wonder Woman is outright identified as a rookie, while Hawkgirl is identified as a well-known superheroine (and, frankly, ends up becoming a more interesting and multidimensional character). Wonder Woman is just the new girl, in a world already inhabited by female superheroes. Her introduction is not a jawdropping moment for the DCAU franchise. Not to mention, from a viewer's perspective, you also had all of the Marvel animated shows of the 1990s: Iron Man, X-Men, Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk. All of which featured female superheroes (in the case of the first two: multiple, as part of the core of the show). So, the DCAU introduction of Wonder Woman in 2001 wouldn't likely to have been the first time that a young female viewer would've been able to see a female superhero (having watched an episode of X-Men the Animated Series the day before). In fact, Hawkgirl joins the fight against the aliens, before Wonder Woman.

The same with Smallville, where she shows up in season 11. The show's first introduced superheroine was Angel of Vengeance in season 5. She was followed by Kara and Black Canary in season 7. Season 8 had Lana Lang become a superheroine (and had an appearance of Saturn Girl, though I'm not sure how to count a time traveler, from a thousand years into the future. Also, Saturn Girl cites Lana as having been an inspiration for her, not WW), and introduced Zatanna. Early season nine introduced the Wonder Twins (which includes Jayna), and Speedy (even if she didn't assume the mantle onscreen). "Absolute Justice" not only introduced Stargirl, but established an entire earlier generation of superheroes (including superheroines Hawkgirl, the first Black Canary, and Red Tornado). Season 10 introduced Mera. When we get to season 11 (before the introduction of Wonder Woman), we get Nightwing, Miss Martian, Tess Mercer goes digital (and begins to use her new state as a superheroine). (Then you have the possibility, indicated by this universe already having a lot of female superheroes, that there are many more out there already.) Wonder Woman is not the first superheroine on the Justice League. That honor goes to either Chloe Sullivan or Black Canary (depending on how you count). Followed by women like Zatanna, Stargirl, Maiden of Might/Supergirl, Tess Mercer, and Lois Lane. Wonder Woman's introduction ends up being/feeling like your average tuesday.

The basic point that I'm trying to make, is that whatever status an IP might hold in the source material, might not carry over to the big or small screen.

Comment

Marvel’s first family arrives in theaters November 8, 2024

Comment

Woah! Waiting for it to release

Comment

Pedro Pascal is being eyed to play Reed Richards aka Mr. Fantastic in Marvel's upcoming "Fantastic Four" movie.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎