No announcement yet.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

Towards the end of Marvel Studios’ presentation at Disney Investor Day on Thursday, Marvel boss Kevin Feige paid tribute to the late, great Chadwick Boseman. While doing so, he confirmed that Boseman’s character of T’Challa will not be recast in Black Panther II.

The sequel is being written and directed by Ryan Coogler and is slated to be released on July 8, 2022. No further details were given about the Black Panther II storyline.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/kevin-f...ii-1234654550/

Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-11-2021, 06:57 PM.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is the new title for the sequel.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movi...-forever-title

Comment

New release date: November 11, 2022.

Comment

Comment

The promo itself is an emotional rollercoaster. I still don't see the point of this movie though.

Comment

Yeah, after watching this trailer I’m not sure where they’re going with this sequel. I don’t know if I’m in the minority, but I would have recast T’Challa. To honor Chadwick would have to been to continue his character and that legacy.

Comment

Not sure about the casting of Namor. I don't know why, but I've always pictured an actor of East Asian heritage in that role.

Originally posted by costas22
              I still don't see the point of this movie though.
              The point of this movie is that the first one grossed $1,348 billion.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
                Yeah, after watching this trailer I’m not sure where they’re going with this sequel. I don’t know if I’m in the minority, but I would have recast T’Challa. To honor Chadwick would have to been to continue his character and that legacy.
                It just gave them a chance to make a woman the new Black Panther and show how progressive they are.

Wasn't in favor of a recast at first, but I think it would have made for a better story. And for the record, I am not saying this because Suri will become the new Black Panther. I would have said the same if Baku or Killmonger assumed the mantle.

Originally posted by jon-el87
                The point of this movie is that the first one grossed $1,348 billion.
                And to virtue signal.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
                  I don’t know if I’m in the minority, but I would have recast T’Challa. To honor Chadwick would have to been to continue his character and that legacy.
                  Apparently, there is an entire longrunning campaign (that's been running ever since shortly after Chadwick passed away).

I see this as a you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Recast and there'd be a lot of backlash from people who feel that they're disrespectful to Chadwick's memory. Don't recast, and replace T'Challa as Black Panther (and have T'Challa killed off), and there's backlash from people for different reasons ranging from allegations of Marvel attempting to cash in on Chadwick's death, to allegations of them erasing a black male superhero. I've seen some of the latter online, and I can kind of see their point. At the moment how many black male superheroes are there in the MCU? There's T'Challa, Sam Wilson, and Rhodey. Luke Cage, if the old Netflix shows count, but he ain't likely coming back. Limiting us to those three, and T'Challa is really in a different league from the other two. Rhodey and Sam were introduced as a sort of sidekick, to a white character. Rhodey's first War Machine armor was literally just an old Iron Man armor (call it something "handed down"), that became upgraded with additional weapons, as opposed to something that he made himself. Sam started out with his own identity (Falcon), but when he got his own show, the show ends with him dropping it and assuming an identity originating and entirely associated with a white guy: Captain America.

T'Challa/Black Panther, on the other hand. He might have been introduced in Captain America: Civil War, but he was never depicted as a sidekick. Neither the Black Panther identity or the suit is something that's been handed down by a white man.

I'd say that the whole "handed down" thing is not uncommon with black male superheroes. I mean, you've got the John Stewart Green Lantern... who was created after the creation of previous Green Lanterns Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, and Guy Gardner. The Jason Rusch Firestorm, who was introduced after the Ronnie Raymond/Martin Stein Firestorm had been around for decades. The Miles Morales Spider-Man, who was introduced after Peter Parker had been Spider-Man for over 40 years (and had starred in several films and TV shows). A while back DC changed Wally West (a white character introduced in 1959) into a black character (though, they reintroduced the white ginger* version pretty quick). Then you have all of the cases, where a character is race swapped to black for films and television.

T'Challa/Black Panther is none of those things. He was envisioned as a black man from the start in the 1960s. He got his own original identity and suit, as opposed to something handed down from an existing white character (where he merely carries on the legacy of said white character), nor was he ever a sidekick. And now we're looking at the likelyhood of them not only dropping him, but replacing him with a female character (taking a hero away from young black dudes).

* I don't know why, but there seems to be a recent trend to change existing redheaded characters into black characters. You have the above mentioned Wally West. There's Iris West in both the Arrowverse and DCEU. Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl. Little Orphan Annie (is there a more iconic redhead?) in the 2014 film. MJ in the MCU. Ariel in the upcoming Little Mermaid remake. Hawkgirl in the Arrowverse. Josie McCoy on Riverdale. Do people really hate gingers that much? Of course, Wikipedia's got an entire article called "Discrimination against people with red hair", so I guess that answers that question. In England, there's apparently even calls for discrimination against redheads to be classed as a hate crime.
                  Last edited by jon-el87; 08-03-2022, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The cast does a very good job in, probably, the hardest movie they've ever shot while Ryan Coogler delivers a story that's well laid out and told. The length of the movie leaves a lot to be desired, but that's what happens when you have to deal with your lead character's death AND tell a new origin story in the same movie.

All that said, I'll stick with what I said in my previous post. This movie shouldn't have been made. That's how you truly honor Chadwick Boseman's memory. Not by making another sequel after only 2 years just to pass the mantle to another character. And certainly not by already laying the groundwork for another Black Panther movie.

That's when you realize Black Panther: Wakanda Forever wasn't a tribute to Chadwick Boseman as much as it was another cashgrab by Disney and Marvel Studios.

Comment

I don’t know if I want to go see this quite so soon again, but it was the best they could have done under the circumstances. I got the gist of it. I can imagine that this was tough to make for the cast and crew.

We have a better understanding of what connects all the Phase 4 movies/shows - themes of loss, grief and moving forward….which started with Endgame.

I would say it could have been a 1/2hr shorter if a character or 2 wasn’t there; the only purpose they served was to set up other future projects. They really didn’t add anything to the main story, but nonetheless was a complete surprise.

Their resolution to the mantle makes sense for the timeframe that was established in the movie (and what they’re clearly setting up in the larger MCU).

Comment

Do they ever fully explain what killed T'Challa? A disease was mentioned and we are led to believe that Shuri thought more of the Heart Shaped erb would heal him, but I don't remember the name of the disease being mentioned.

I am also not sure how the erb was going to help, given that T'Challa already had it in his system.

Comment

T’Challa’s illness was never specified, only that it was too late to do anything about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎