No announcement yet.

Ruby Rose Leaves Batwoman

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby Rose Leaves Batwoman

Ruby Rose has left CW's Batwoman. The reason is not known for her departure but it was stated the role will be recast before season 2 begins filming.

Last edited by KSiteTV; 05-20-2020, 12:39 AM. Reason: BatwomanTV link please

Wow that’s a shocker! They obviously waited until S1 finale to drop the news. What happened?!? I guess, better now than several seasons into the series. They could find a way to incorporate a new Batwoman into the fold that could come from another Earth…after all a new multiverse post-crisis exists. They could even go with Rachel Skarsten in the dual role (just an idea). I mean it’s a comic book series there’s ways to do it to make it part of the story somehow without skipping a beat.

Comment

Can't say it comes as a total shock. It's not an easy life and there were a couple of times this year (like the way Ruby reacted to online trolling or when she got injured) where I wondered if she would be in it for the long haul. 5-7 years of this is a lot to ask of anyone. And I agree with darkphoenix that it's for the best that she made the decision now instead of after season 3 or 4.

Now the person coming in won't have to be in the shadow of her predecessor.
      Last edited by costas22; 05-19-2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Ohh Man she was a IMO the best Batwoman so far..and the perfect actress for the role. Well I was looking forward to seeing her in the second season but after getting injured in doing stunts, I guess I kind of understand. If/when the production ever starts, its going to strange to see another actress other than Ruby playing Batwoman.

Comment

I just hope that online hatred wasn't the motivator.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
            http://batwomantv.com/shocker-ruby-r...fore-season-2/

I just hope that online hatred wasn't the motivator.
            I don't think that's what it was... every show has haters. But I wouldn't be surprised if this whole Arrowverse thing was more than she bargained for.

I remember even when she skipped out on Comic-Con last summer, thinking it was a bit strange...

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
              I don't think that's what it was... every show has haters. But I wouldn't be surprised if this whole Arrowverse thing was more than she bargained for.
              Yeah, naturally there could be any number of explainations: contract disputes; Ruby not wanting to be locked down to filming 22 episodes in Vancouver every year (thus having to turn down other opportunities); some unknown behind the scenes drama; Ruby finding the hours exhausting (especially around the annual crossover); Ruby disliking the writing or the direction of the show and/or of her character.
              Last edited by jon-el87; 05-20-2020, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Caroling Dries is the main showrunner, isn't she?

I can see why that would attract criticisms over the creative direction and why Ruby *maybe* not have been a fan.

Comment

The big question is how this will affect the show's ratings. Probably were an X amount who were watching it for Ruby Rose. Will they stick around? Will the viewers accept this new Kate Kane?

You don't often see a recasting of the main character like this. The one example that I can think off is the 1980s Superboy TV series, where Clark was recast after the first season. While it lasted another three seasons, I have no idea how it affected the ratings. What were the show's main viewers (age range)? Not to mention, that was 30 years ago. An extremely different media landscape.
                  Last edited by jon-el87; 05-20-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                    Yeah, naturally there could be any number of explainations: contract disputes; Ruby not wanting to be locked down to filming 22 episodes in Vancouver every year (thus having to turn down other opportunities); some unknown behind the scenes drama; Ruby finding the hours exhausting (especially around the annual crossover); Ruby disliking the writing or the direction of the show and/or of her character.
                    This seems to be the main reason she wanted out, from what I’ve read.

Comment

The funny thing is with all the attention the recasting will get, i could see ratings going up out of curiosity over who will be the new Kate/Batwoman.

Ive heard people saying that Bex Taylor-Klaus may be in the running to take over the lead role.

It makes me wonder if her leaving could be why we didnt see the photo of her and Kara in that frame in the season finale. According to interviews with showrunner Caroline Dries, saying the photo couldnt be done due to lockdown but could it really be they knew she was leaving and didnt want to retake the pic of her and Melissa Benoist? You can easily CGI a photo into a frame so maybe it was that she was leaving?

Comment

Ruby Rose's Batwoman Exit: The Story Behind Her Shocking Departure: https://tvline.com/2020/05/20/ruby-r...parture-scoop/

I tend to agree with André's interpretation of events in this video (disclaimer: like André, I haven't seen a single standalone episode of Batwoman (only the crossover part) and have no personal opinion on her performance in the role).

Comment

Ruby Rose Says They Were Fired From ‘Batwoman’

In an Instagram Story Rose shared on Wednesday, they claimed that rather than leaving the show of their own volition at the end of season one, they were forced off. The actor also said they were forced back to work just 10 days after a serious surgery and that working conditions on set were unsafe, resulting in serious injuries to crewmembers.

“I will come for you so what happened to me never happens to another person again,” Rose writes, addressing Batwoman showrunner Caroline Dries, executive producers Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter, and The CW. “And so I can finally take back my life and the truth. Shame on you.”

Rose writes later in the Instagram Story, “To my dear, dear fans still asking if I will return to that awful show, I wouldn’t return for any amount of money nor if a gun were to my head … NOR DID I QUIT. I DID NOT QUIT, they ruined Kate Kane and they destroyed Batwoman, not me. I followed orders, and if I wanted to stay I was going to have to sign my rights away. Any threats, any bullying tactics or blackmail would not make me stand down.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...an-1235034072/

Comment

Not exactly the first time that an actor have leveled allegations of some sort against a Berlanti show (along with other controversies).

Comment

If these allegations are true, they expose the giant hypocrisy that exists within Berlanti Productions. The same tv shows that in recent years have made a reputation by pretending to embrace the feminist, BLM and LGBT agendas. Even at the expense of their quality and their ratings.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎