No announcement yet.

Loki (Disney+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 2 Episode 2: Breaking Brad

This was a very exposition heavy episode in search of Sylvie.

They chase down X-5, now calling himself Brad Wolfe, an actor in London circa 1977. Loki starts to lean back into his villainous side as they capture and later interrogate him; during which Brad/X-5 makes some good points about their new reality, getting under both Loki and Mobius’ skins. We learn that Dox and others went to bomb/prune the timelines that were branching off.

It’s interesting that the first season consisted of the TVA pruning timelines without thought about the trillions that would die. Forward to this season, after learning that they themselves were taken and had lives before the TVA, B-15 (her demeanor having vastly changed since learning the truth) and the others are now wanting to preserve all the branches to the Sacred Timeline. Yet, Dox and other followers have stayed the course with pruning the branches.

They eventually find Sylvie living her best life as a cashier at McDonalds and not wanting anything to do with the TVA.

It takes a bit of convincing from Loki about the reality of the situation, but eventually she helps them stop Dox and the others, though by end it was too little too late and the damage was done.

Nonetheless, Casey gave them some good news as he was able to track down the whereabouts of Renslayer.

I didn’t mind this episode. Some YouTubers (who’ve watched the first 4 episodes) stated that this was a bump in an otherwise great S2. I’d say that this episode didn’t have to be as long as it was to get to the point; they could have trimmed a few minutes for sure.
    ​​

Comment

I wonder how significant the pruning of the timelines actually is, considering the multiverse already exists in the MCU. Dox obviously did damage, but by the end of the season it may be undone for all we know. Or they will just allow the branching to begin again, blowing up the TVA. Loki's dialogue with Mobius during this episode heavily hints at Mobius going to his own timeline. So maybe that's what will happen with all the agents.

As for the episode, yeah it was slow. Eventful in the end, but we didn't need the first 35 minutes to get to the final 10. That's a problem with Disney+ shows in general these days. Everything is show and dragged out. Ahsoka had the same issue. You can tell they are wasting time when Mobius sits down with Brad and talks about random stuff. Why do that? Those scenes work between Loki and Mobius because Tom and Owen have good chemistry and because we actually care about how Loki's mind works. No one cares about Brad's, to be honest.

Anyway, yeah, a bit of a step down compared to last week, but as a whole I think the series is on par with season 1. The show is what it is. I am really curious about what Renslayer and Miss Minutes are up to. And when we'll see a Kang variant again. We know from the Quantmania post credits scene that Loki and Mobius locate him at some point.

Comment

Season 2 Episode 3: 1893

I liked the timely (pun intended) ragtime Marvel themed intro music.

I wasn’t sure where they were going with Renslayer in 1868 Chicago until Miss Minutes shows up to give her a package only for her to give it to young Victor Timely that turns out to be the TVA handbook…that just seemed unnecessary since young Victor didn’t see who gave him the book.

25yrs later in 1893 it’s the Worlds Fair, we are reintroduced to an older Victor Timely; but he’s a variant?!?! It’s on a branched timeline (a Nexus event since Renslayer gave the younger Victor the book, that wasn’t supposed to happen as Slyvie later states).

The stuttering and the mannerisms of Timely was an interesting choice because as it’s revealed he’s a bit of a con man, so I kept waiting for the turn, the switch…which I still expect to happen by next episode since they take him to The TVA…why would you actually take him to the place where he could do the most damage?!?! Though, yes we know they need his temporal aura to fix the loom.

And how very creepy was the Miss Minutes turn, the creation, fallen in love with her creator and wanting a body. With all the talk of A.I. and whatnot as of late this is the type of stuff that creeps me out. We are closer than ever to something similar to a “Skynet” actually happening.

And what is the secret that Miss Minutes thinks Renslayer will be pissed off about?

Guess we’ll find out on the next episode. 
        ​​​​

Comment

That was underwhelming. I like Jonathan Majors a lot as an actor and I'm always impressed with how he changes his performances (He Who Remains, Victor Timely and Kang are like compleyely different people), but his return wasn't the big deal it should have been. I realize Kang is not Thanos and his strength is in his number of variants, but he lacks menace. Especially here. Like I said, Majors is terrific at switching it up. I just don't see the point in doing this kind of Kang variant when the previous 2 we already saw got killed by Sylvie and Ant-Man of all people.

My second issue is that this show's morality is all over the place. Renslayer and Sylvie are by all means villains. That's how they've been acting. And yet Mobius and Loki are too weak to stand up to them physically or verbally. This show follows the same pattern all Disney+ shows do: The female characters can be a-holes, but they are always justified because they've been wronged by men. The male characters who are supposed to be the good guys always act guiltful around them. Why is Mobius doing this with the woman who tried to kill him? Why is Loki doing this with the woman who killed He Who Remains and is now endangering the TVA and multiple timelines with a multiversal war?

We don't know. We just know men bad and women good. Because that's all that these writers know.

Comment

Season 2 Episode 4: Heart of the TVA

I’m still confused about the science and what they were trying to do to the loom; what exactly was the plan?

So He Who Remains used Renslayer to be the last man standing in the Universal War and than turns around and tells Miss Minutes to erase her and everybody else’s memories. How does Miss Minutes erase their memories? It’s been stated in other reviews that all Kangs don’t like to work with anymore else.

I keep asking why would they take Timely to the TVA (obviously they explain the reason, but can they trust a con man)? I’m still waiting for the shoe to drop. I’m not sure what that ending means, but Timely being the one who went out there was not a good idea. And that device he had look like a model of the ship that Kang used in Ant-Man 3

Did they seriously venture into the horror realm? After they kill everyone except for X-5/Brad you could imagine how horrific their deaths were…but the expressions on both B-15 and him faces was enough to imagine the horror.

I’ve liked how they’ve developed this season with the callbacks from earlier episodes having an impact on current events like Loki being the one that pruned himself or the torture machine that was used on X-5 to interrogate him.

Which did come first? O.B. or Timely creating the TVA handbook?

Still curious where this all leads with only two episodes remaining…obviously they didn’t die when the loom imploded. Are we looking at the beginnings of Kang’s reign? I can’t but think that this all according to plan for He Who Remains.

And with the current state of Jonathan Majors’ case, will they finally just pull the trigger to recast? I mean had that stinger at the end of Ant-Man 3 not been released and the only other thing Majors filmed was this show…
            Last edited by darkphoenix21; 10-27-2023, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Season 2 Episode 5: Science/Fiction

I think most of us had the thought that maybe they’d all return to their own timelines as Loki tried to wrangle them together…but didn’t expect that twist ending. I just thought OMG did Loki just gain a new ability? especially if the time slipping is now permanent and how would that play out moving forward with the MCU?

I enjoyed seeing everyone in their true timelines especially finding out the Morpheus was in fact just an ATV salesman. The way they kept mentioning his sons I assumed that they would be important (though it’s still to be seen).

Didn’t expect Casey to be a criminal escaping from Alcatraz! I suspected B-15 would turn out to be either a teacher or a doctor. And Ke Huy Quan’s O.B. turning out to be a failed novelist was hilarious.

Loved visuals of everything/everyone turning spaghetti, though, I assume that was due to the destruction of the loom, not specifically how pruning would look to someone from that POV.

So are we to assume that Loki saves Timely this time around? And was that He Who Remains plan from the start?
              Last edited by darkphoenix21; 11-03-2023, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I found the finale to be very good. Loki as a series is a mixed bag and in both seasons things really didn't become significant until the finale. So it wouldn't be a stretch to say that this was the best episode of the season and the series. Because compared to the season 1 finale, at least the season 2 finale was focused on the titular character of the show.

The problem I have with season 2 is that nothing really happens. Think about it. At the end of season 1, the timelines branch out, He Who Remains is dead, Sylvie leaves to have a life of her own and Loki is left behind to sort out the mess. And that's more or less where we are now, the only exception being that Loki is guarding the timelines. And this is a problem with most MCU Disney+ shows. They don't move the plot around a great deal. They leave that to the movies.

The major takeaway from this series is that the Loki variant has a new purpose now and Tom Hiddlestone will in all likelyhood appear in the Avengers movies that deal with the Multiversal War. Which is great news, especially if Thor appears in those movies as well.

Renslayer got what she just deserved. Very happy about that. I worried they would try to redeem her.

Owen Wilson was terrific in this episode. I didn't think much of him as an actor, but this series has really turned me around.

And a final word about Jonathan Majors. Right now it's very hard to say what will happen with him. His legal case will go to trial and there could be more allegations on the way, There's a possibility that Disney will drop him and either recast Kang or shift to Dr Doom as the new Big Bad. For all we know, this episode may have teased his future more and the scenes were cut. What I do know is that he was once again brilliant as He Who Remains. For me, it's his best version of Kang. I hope it's not the last time we see him as Kang, but that's not up to me or even him now.

Comment

Anyone else remember when stuff like Loki season 2 was the plot of one episode (maybe a two-parter)?

Comment

Ahsoka was the same. 8 episodes just to basically show that Thrawn escapes from where he is.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎