Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ms. Marvel (Disney+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just hope that blue hand won't turn out to have belonged to a Hindu god, because they've already been down the road of suggesting that Hindu gods were in reality just aliens, in season one of Agents of SHIELD. Which sparked controversy. Let's not do that again.

Comment

Muslim fans of Ms. Marvel express their frustration with the Disney+ series’ recent revelation that protagonist Kamala Khan is actually a djinn.

Muslim fans of Ms. Marvel express their frustration with the Disney+ series’ recent revelation that protagonist Kamala Khan is actually a djinn.

Some Muslim fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's latest series Ms. Marvel are expressing their displeasure with the recent revelation regarding the source of Kamala Khan's powers.

As revealed in Ms. Marvel Episode 3, "Destined" the titular hero's newfound abilities are apparently due to her heritage as a Djinn. As explained by Kamran's mother Najma, Kamala's ancestors are otherworldly beings from the Noor dimensions that were banished from their reality sometime before 1942. These people are quickly explained to be the Djinn, creatures from Islamic mythology which can be both good and evil. A number of fans have expressed frustration with the reveal, specifying that the Quran condemns the practice of worshipping Djinn.

Viewers have interpreted Kamala's Djinn-based powers as an act of "shirk," the sin of idolatry, which is problematic as practicing Muslims are forbidden from worshiping anything other than Allah.

Comment

We’re only told that she’s a Djinn by an unreliable source…we don’t know the full story yet.

Comment

Episode 4.

Okay, so the Partition of India was an idea of the Englishmen? And here I've thinking that the Pakistan Movement, Choudhry Rahmat Ali (the man credited with coming up with the name "Pakistan"), and the All-India Muslim League had something to do with it.

The truth is that, during the 19th Century and the 20th Century, there were all of these nationalist movements born, all over the world. Some were successful (with new countries being born), and some were not. And, along with way, created a lot of hostilities between groups. Which, in turn, often resulted in aggression and violence, and very bad stuff happening.

They seem to try and explain away the Djinn, but the reference to Thor makes it feel like they might've done something, that might be interpreted by some as discrediting a religion. Maybe they should stay clear of religions? You know, it's one thing to depict characters as having some religious belief, it's quite another to dig into them and have gods and demons from them be revealed to just be aliens or creatures from other dimensions, that primitive humans mistook for gods and demons. Heck, the mere appearance of Thor should've (in-universe) sparked massive worldwide religious uproar and debate.

The episode ends with Kamala seemingly going back in time. Next week is the penultimate episode, which I'm guessing is going to be backstory/exposition heavy. And it'll probably be revealed that she got her grandmother onto the train... which wouldn't work (per the rules of time travel, as established in the MCU).
          Last edited by jon-el87; 06-29-2022, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
            The episode ends with Kamala seemingly going back in time. Next week is the penultimate episode, which I'm guessing is going to be backstory/exposition heavy. And it'll probably be revealed that she got her grandmother onto the train... which wouldn't work (per the rules of time travel, as established in the MCU).
            Yup that’s what happened…Kamala goes back in time and saved her grandmother.
            Last edited by darkphoenix21; 06-29-2022, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Episode 5.

I switched it off after a few minutes.

Comment

You know what this show reminds me of? The first draft of a screenplay, that I began working on this past spring (ended up putting it on ice, for other projects). It was for a short film. The draft was eight pages long (which is about eight minutes). And it was all over the place, because there were so much related to the subject matter of the short film, that I wanted to cast a spotlight on. The whole thing just became a mess.

That's how I view this show. There is so much that the writers want to talk about, in a six episode mini series, that it ends up being all over the place. They want to talk about this, and that, and the Partition (through a depiction that I'd really like to analyze, together with proper historians).

Next week is the finale. Who is the big bad? The Djinn? Apart from Kamran, they're all apparently dead now. Department of Damage Control, and Agent Deever (whom I've had some concerns about since the second episode*)? If so, what's their endgame? You know, apart from dealing with someone, who is probably in violation of the Sokovia Accord.

* I've spent a few weeks wondering if I should contact a synagogue, and ask them if there's anything Jewish about the name "Sadie Deever". I know that the actress is Jewish (naturally, just because she is, doesn't mean that the character has to be, but the actress being Jewish could've motivated the showrunner's decision to cast her as this character that they want us to dislike), while this show is about a muslim protagonist (and run by a likely muslim showrunner). Basically, I have some minor concerns that Deever (who is played up as a jerk, who is after an innocent teenage girl) is the writers and showrunner's attempt to subtly suggest that Jews = bad, muslims = good (i.e. that we might be dealing with a show, with a possible antisemitic subtext). Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but I'd rather keep my eyes open for potential racist material in films and TV shows (specifically racism that is often overlooked). And it wouldn't be the first time in recent years that Marvel's released antisemitic material.
                Last edited by jon-el87; 07-12-2022, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Episode 6.

Quite liked Carol's cameo.

Kamala might be a mutant.

As for the rest of the episode... Let's do a rundown of the crimes committed by the main characters:

Aiding and abetting a known fugitive (Kamran), who escaped federal custody (and, during Kamran's escape, a few officers had been killed (as I recall it), making him guilty of accessory to murder).

Breaking and entering at the school.

Property destruction (both school and law enforcement equipment).

Assaulting law enforcement officers. Kamran might even have killed some of them, which would make Kamala and her friends guilty of accessory to murder.

However, they seem to suffer no consequences of their actions.

Still not convinced that Agent Deever isn't an attempt by the writers to promote antisemitism.

The show is willing to acknowledge tensions between law enforcement and the muslim community, but not willing to dive into the cause for these tensions.

This episode really highlights the problem of using characters with super powers as a metaphor for persecution. Deever and the others are not out to get Kamran because of his religion or ethnicity. He's causing damage and destruction with his powers, that he can't control. Him attacking the officers, during the climax (after hearing about his mother's death), highlights what someone with super powers could do, if they have a really bad day. The fact that the whole fight takes place at a school brings thoughts to like school massacres and stuff. Suddenly, the perpetrator doesn't need a weapon, because they possess optical energy blasts, pyrokinesis or something else. Then there are all of the health and safety concerns. Let's say that there's this girl Julia. She's 15... and her sweat is pure cyanide. Her attending gym class, or simply going to school on a hot day, could mean death for her fellow students, if they come near her.
                  Last edited by jon-el87; 08-11-2022, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Ms. Marvel writer A.C. Bradley says Marvel and Disney did not pay her script fees despite being credited on three episodes of the Disney+ series.

Ms. Marvel writer A.C. Bradley says Marvel and Disney did not pay her script fees despite being credited on three episodes of the Disney+ series.

Ms. Marvel writer A.C. Bradley said Marvel Studios and Disney did not pay her script fees for her work on the series.

Bradley recently retweeted a news article about ABC airing Ms. Marvel Season 1 in August, making it the first Marvel Studios series to air on network television. "Hey @WGAWest let's make sure @DisneyStudios & @MarvelStudios pays the writers network residuals!" she captioned the post. "Despite significantly rewriting all episodes, & the WGA mandating I receive writing credit on 3 eps... I was only paid a weekly rate & never paid script fees." The Emmy-winner is a credited writer on Episodes 3, 4 and 6 of Ms. Marvel, which debuted on Disney+ in June 2022.

Bradley is not the only writer to share their grievances with major networks and streamers. Steven DeKnight, showrunner of Netflix's Daredevil, recently revealed that the company still owes him residuals for Season 1. "So speaking of Daredevil, as showrunner of S1, part of my deal includes a little sliver of the backend," DeKnight explained on social media. "Never expected to see any on Netflix. But then Marvel/Disney pulled it and it ended up on Disney+. Now I'm part of an audit to try to get the money they owe me and others."
                    There's also a She-Hulk writer, who has come forward about his shockingly low residual payment. Looks like we're starting to see more and more shady business dealings by Marvel Studios come to light.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎