No announcement yet.

Ms. Marvel (Disney+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ms. Marvel (Disney+)

Last edited by jon-el87; 10-01-2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Comment

Set photos are out in the ether revealing Iman Vellani in her full “Ms. Marvel” costume. It seems that the Disney+ shows are embracing their comic book counterparts with comic accurate costumes much more than the movies have had with a few exceptions where there’s no way around them (e.g. Iron Man, Spider-Man).

Comment

The series has wrapped production. No release date has been announced but, the 6-part series will premiere sometime late 2021.

Comment

Comment

0:58 I wonder if those are Nega-bands?

1:20 Friends or foes? If the latter, could they be Kree? (Given the Captain Marvel connection, and the possibility of the armbands being Nega-bands.)

Comment

Episode 1:

Had forgotten that this was coming out today.

This was, of course, an introduction to the characters. We're in a different playing field here, than the previous Disney+ Marvel shows. WandaVision, Falcon & the Winter Soldier, and Hawkeye were all centered around established superheroes (even if the last one heavily featured the new generation Hawkeye, but she was sharing the spotlight with established hero Clint Barton). Moon Knight dealt with a new one, but introduced him as having been Moon Knight for years (and we don't see his origin until the penultimate episode). This one is (unless you count what was done with Kate Bishop on Hawkeye) the first time that they've really done a superhero origin story on Disney+.

The summary that Kamala* gives of Carol's involvement in the battle against Thanos in Endgame is inaccurate (and dismisses the views of anyone, who doesn't absolutely love Captain Marvel), but makes sense. Kamala is this big Captain Marvel fan, so she'd exaggerate things about her hero. Not to mention, she wasn't there, but goes by second or third hand information. There'll probably be someone (either here, or in The Marvels), who comes in and tells her "That's not what happened!".

* Sigh, you just know that someone will insist that her name's some type of political propaganda (like that Bane name rubbish back in 2012), despite Kamala Kahn having existed long before anyone had ever heard of Kamala Harris.

Comment

Episode 1: Generation Why

I don’t have much to say about this first episode.

The premiere felt very authentic especially for many of us who came from other countries only to assimilate and the culture clash/generational divide between immigrant children and their parents. It’s accessible to everyone; it’s a universal story (“Turning Red” had very similar themes) even in a comic book story. And who hasn’t had their head in the clouds over one thing or another. 😅

I also loved the choose of music and the animation throughout the episode. It made it feel like we were going through Kamala’s journey.

I appreciate how this felt like a teen series, getting into teen antics. I laughed at the scenario that Kamala illustrated for them to get to the AvengerCon without her parents knowing and how nothing worked out…it’s always easier said then done😂 The fandom is real and I’ve come to know people who’ve cosplayed and have gone to actual Cons; I’ve always wanted to go to one, but have yet to.

Anyway, I suspect that the mom knows more then she’s letting on about the bracelet. It may be nothing, but after Kamala pulled it out, the mom looked at it for a few seconds before she said anything to Kamala. I hope it’s more than just an alien bracelet linked to the infinity stones and/or the Kree, but it’s something in her lineage (I get it would be too similar to “Turning Red”) though, it’s too predictable not to be.
                  Last edited by darkphoenix21; 06-08-2022, 07:28 PM.

Comment

After a few reviews on YouTube, I have to agree with those that think the bracelet could be related to the Ten Rings and/or the Eternals. It would make sense in this phase of the MCU that there be some type of through line since we don’t have the infinity stones or the likes of a Tony, a Steve or Fury….Wang is becoming, but he’s not there yet.

Comment

Rewatching it, the writers really highlight the culture of the characters, which we didn't get on Moon Knight. Exploration of Marc's Jewishness was one episode showing a brief glimpse of the Specter family sitting Shiva. Nothing more than that. Marc's a Jewish man, married to an Egyptian woman. Looking at Wikipedia, Egypt is 90,3% Muslim, 9,6% Christian, and 0,1% other. Statistically, Layla would most likely be a Muslim. Okay, what's it like for a Jewish man and a Muslim woman to be married to each other? Are there specific challenges? How does people from both sides react to this marriage? We don't get any insight into the personal lives of Marc and Layla.

Back to Ms. Marvel. There is something fishy going on with Kamala's mom. Notice how quickly she put together food for Bruno? Would probably take super speed to do that. And she did have a reaction, the moment that Kamala took out the Bangle from the box sent to them by Kamala's grandmother.

Comment

Episode 2:

I quite like the continued focus on Kamala's real life, and her family, as opposed to focus on heroics and her being on some kind of mission.

I wonder who that woman is, from Kamala's vision. At first, I assumed that she was Kamala's great grandmother, but she's revealed to be the mother of Kamran. Of course, she could turn out to be both.

I knew that there was something going on with Kamran from the start. In the comics, Kamran is apparently a Nuhuman (just like Kamala), which are humans of Inhuman lineage.

Okay, so the bangle's indicated to have actually just unlocked something within Kamala, as opposed to her getting powers from it (which then goes away whenever the bangle's removed).
                        Last edited by jon-el87; 07-06-2022, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Don't think that I like the Nakia character very much. Her line about "Oppressors" really rubbed me the wrong way.
                          Last edited by jon-el87; 06-15-2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Episode 2: Crushed

I liked that we are continuing with Kamala learning to control her new found abilities cause she’s still messing up; she tried to save the kid and for her first rescue it wasn’t too bad. Too many times in these stories the hero stumbles for a minute and by the next scene they’ve master things; we did get that fun little sequence on the roof of her practicing, but she still has a lot to learn.

It’s also interesting that we’re getting more of her family’s history. It’s now a certainty that her mother knows more about the bangles than she’s letting on or at the very least knows only part of this story of her great grandmother. Whenever the bangles go wonky bits and pieces of this story seem to get revealed (which is a cool way to do a backstory as opposed to a straight up flashback) until the full story is revealed in the coming episodes. The story may eventually be the key to establishing her alter ego Ms. Marvel instead of Nightlight (or whatever she was being called😅 ) and I can’t wait.

I also continue to love how they incorporate different animation styles as well as music (including the South Asian pop music) throughout the show. I’m a fan of Bon Jovi, so the parents are cool in my book 😁

You kind had to figure that the “new” kid in school Kamran was more than what he seemed. So the mystery widens… Kamran and his mom saving her from Damage Control, they’ve been keeping tabs on Kamala to have known where she’d be after the rescue. So are they actual cousins?!?…the IlluminAunties had it partially right😂

Comment

Episode 3.

Didn't love it. It was obvious from the start that the Djinn would turn out to be bad. I get that Kamala's only 16, but maybe ask why they were exiled from their native dimension.

In the opening flashback, they get the bangle from a severed blue arm (Kree?), while being harrased by the British Army in 1942 (because, you know, it's not like the British Army was busy with anything else in 1942).

"British Occupied India". First time I've ever seen it called that. As long as we're talking about invasions and conquests around India, how about we talk about the muslim invasions and conquests? Or all of the atrocities committed by the Ottoman Empire? We did get a brief acknowledgement of an example of the former in Moon Knight (the Armenian genocide), but they avoided saying who did it. Don't worry. I'm also open to discussing the Mongol Empire (the messed up thing is, in the 1970s, they made a song, romanticing Genghis Khan fathering so many children), the Inca Empire, the Japanese Empire (whose atrocities in East Asia before and during WWII should be talked about more), and all the rest of the Empires throughout history and the world.

They mention the Partition again. Perhaps they could discuss the background of it?
                              Last edited by jon-el87; 06-22-2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎