No announcement yet.

The Eternals (2020)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eternals (2020)

When the Celestials visited Earth five million years ago and performed genetic experiments on early proto-humanity, they created two divergent races: the long-lived Eternals, and the genetically unstable and monstrously grotesque Deviants. These experiments also led to the capacity for super-powered mutations in humans. They also performed this experiment on other planets (such as the Kree and Skrull homeworlds) with similar results.

Despite looking human, Eternals are much more long-lived (but were not originally fully immortal) and that kept them from having much contact with their human cousins. Eternals have a low birth rate; they can interbreed with humans but the result is always a normal human (although Joey Athena, son of Thena and a normal human seems to have become an Eternal with long lived properties and powers).

Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy forces them out of the shadows to reunite against mankind's most ancient enemy, the Deviants.

Last edited by darkphoenix21; 04-11-2021, 08:53 AM.

From CBR:

At Disney's D23 Expo in Anaheim, California, Marvel Studios revealed that Kir Harington, Gemma Chan and Barry Theogen would all be joining the cast of Eternals.

Harington will portray Dane Whitman, the non-Eternal Marvel hero known as the Black Knight. Chan will portray the heroic Eternal Sersi, and Theogen will portray Druig, a villainous Eternal.

Comment

[IMG]https://vignette.*****.nocookie.net/marvelcinematicuniverse/images/d/d9/Eternals-BTS-001489.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190930175639[/IMG]

Comment

[IMG]https://vignette.*****.nocookie.net/marvelcinematicuniverse/images/c/c2/Eternals-Set-Photos-Temple-1.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/480?cb=20190731230200[/IMG]

Comment

[IMG]https://vignette.*****.nocookie.net/marvelcinematicuniverse/images/4/40/18727990-7486837-Keeping_warm_Angelina_carried_what_looked_like_a_h ot_water_bottl-a-69_1568998791763.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/369?cb=20190921170926[/IMG]
          [IMG]https://vignette.*****.nocookie.net/marvelcinematicuniverse/images/9/97/18728002-7486837-image-a-73_1568998903170.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/640?cb=20190921171432[/IMG]

Comment

Comment

It was definitely a tease cause I still don’t know what this is about but, I’ll be there in the theater watching it on the biggest screen I can view it on…just in time for my birthday!!!🥳🎁🎊

Comment

For me, the air has left the MCU balloon with Endgame. Nothing about this trailer has me interested in the Phase IV in general and this movie specifically.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Eternals was overall a decent MCU entry…it wasn’t a top tier MCU flick but it was definitely middle of the pack.

It opened up they universe in unexpected ways. I just watched it for a second time; I definitely needed the second viewing and the YouTube reviews to really grasp what was happening, which made me appreciate the film even more for what it was.

[SPOILER] It turns out that the Prime Celestial Arishem planted celestial seeds on millions of planets/worlds with sentinel life. The goal, to let those intelligent lifeforms flourish to overpopulation so their energies could be used to somehow birth new Celestials “The Emergence” from the planet’s core at the same time destroying said planet. Earth would eventually birth Tiamut.

So to accomplish that goal Arishem created the Eternals to help humanity flourish and grow to the max population necessary to start “The Emergence”. As it also turns out he created the Deviants as a way to kill any predators that would threaten the population’s evolution, but the Deviants evolved themselves and thus became predators.

The only one that knew all this was the Prime Eternal, Ajax, who would speak with Arishem regularly about their progress and was a loyal Eternal helping birth many Celestials before getting to Earth (along with rest of the Eternals unbeknownst to them). The hitch was that every time they accomplished the goal their memories would be wiped and stored. Until they were assigned to Earth and Ajax fell in love with humanity.

The Deviants were more of a distraction than the actual threat. They themselves just wanted to flourish and evolve too.

So this set in motion the events that would lead the Eternals into stopping the new Celestial ,Tiamut, from being born by harnessing their collective powers into Sersi so she had enough energy to transform the emerging Celestial to stone killing it and saving the world….not before trying to stop Ikarius (and Sprite) from stopping them.

A few weeks afterwards a pissed off Arishem deciding to pay Earth a visit takes Sersi, Phastos and Kingo (to decide final judgment on Earth by examining their memories) sparing the Earth for now. So while the remaining Eternals are on a mission to scour the universe for other Eternals in hopes of telling them the truth, they get an unexpected visitor. Eros (Thanos’ brother) and his companion a troll named Pip jump on board their ship to offer their help. Eros tells them that the others are in trouble and they know where to find them.

The problem was that they kind of focused on the wrong characters. It’s been started since the premiere (and most agree) that Druig/Makkari and Gilgamesh/Thena had the best chemistry amongst the characters in the short times that they were on the screen, you felt their chemistry; even Phastos and his family were great, except…Sersi and Ikarus

Sersi was a very passive leader until the end of the movie.

Though, Ikarus had the best character development in that it was very Shakespearean. He was the loyal soldier who knew the truth and did everything to serve the prime directive until it came down to killing the love of his life or letting her stop “The Emergence”. In the end he decides on love, so because he couldn’t live with himself afterwards he flies himself into the sun …we don’t really know if he actually killed himself.

The major plot hole of the entire movie was that the Eternals prime directive (unbeknownst to most of them) was to make sure that the Earth reach the max population to birth Tiamut…so when Thanos became a legitimate threat they should have stepped in to help the Avengers. Thanos whipping 1/2 the population went against their true prime directive; it should have never been allowed.
                          [/SPOILER]

I’ll say what I told my friend after watching it…”It’s the best DC/Justice League movie Marvel has made”😂…the DC references were there, subtly or not.

*On a side note* every GoT fan got that not-so-subtle joke.
                          Last edited by darkphoenix21; 01-15-2022, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Checked it out this afternoon. Got a bit bored at times. This movie covers like 7,000 years. We're introduced to all of these new characters and concepts, that the movie has to explain via exposition dumps and flashbacks to various time periods. Halting the plot. Felt it was difficult to get close to the characters, because of how much had to be done in 2,5 hours. Sersi is the clearest one, as she's the one we spend the most time with, and becomes the leader/de-facto main protagonist.

It's difficult to get invested in the stakes, as this is set not long after Avengers Endgame, while we've already had multiple projects set close to a year after this. As the Earth still exists in Far From Home, No Way Home, Hawkeye, Loki, and Falcon & The Winter Soldier, we know that they'll save the day.

Was expecting Thena to be killed off (figuring that Jolie wouldn't be up for multiple instalments). I think that it was a good move to have Sprite turn human (even if I suspect that it'll be undone in the sequel). Sprite is presented as an immortal being, forever trapped in the body of a child... However, the actress playing her isn't. Meaning that every future appearance of Sprite would've required constant recastings (to keep her child-like appearance consistent)... or them insisting that Sprite still looks like a child, when the actress is visibly in her mid-20s.

I like that they casually introduced Phastos being in a same-sex marriage. Nor does any of the characters have any type of reaction to it (Sersi and Ikaris doesn't show up at his house and gasp at the shock that Phastos, a man that they've known to thousands of years, is gay). The film doesn't make a big deal of it. A lot of films (and TV shows) make the mistake of making a big deal of it.
                            Last edited by jon-el87; 01-12-2022, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎