Black Widow (2020)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney for Breach of Contract Over ‘Black Widow’ Release

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/s...ow-1235030582/

Comment

Johansson has already gotten like $20 million for this movie alone. You could live your whole life on $20 million (never have to work ever again). But, I guess that nothing is ever enough to some people.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
            Johansson has already gotten like $20 million for this movie alone. You could live your whole life on $20 million (never have to work ever again). But, I guess that nothing is ever enough to some people.
            It was my initial reaction too, but after actually reading some articles, it was “The House of Mouse” breaching contract (which they admitted) whether it was $5 or $50M (what she would supposedly have made) they screwed her over. She’s not the first and won’t be the last. She’s just one of a few celebrities to call BS on Disney. And you have Emma Stone debating if she’ll follow suit.

Even Kevin Feige was against the day-and-date release. He was very pissed off with them. So he’s very much on the side of Scar-Jo

It’s going to get ugly in the coming days/weeks.

Comment

Apparently other actors will follow suit. Where the hell have these people been living these past 18 months? The pandemic has wreaked havoc on the industry. Theaters have closed down, hundreds of employees have lost their jobs and many movies reported losses because they were never released thearically. And all Scarlett Johansson cares about is the extra millions she can't make. Where was this sensitivy on her behalf when Disney was furloughing employees?

It takes a very selfish greedy and deplorable person to get me to defend Disney over a matter. So congrats to Scarlett and every other actor who follows her lead here. Thank goodness Gal Gadot didn't make such a big fuss when her Wonder Woman movie came out on HBO Max. She just quietly settled on a compensation with WB. Because she knew there were more important problems in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                Where the hell have these people been living these past 18 months?
                To answer your question:

Did a Google search: Johansson's net worth is estimated at around $165 million. So, she ain't got no mortgage... on her three luxury homes. Student loan debt? Forget it. Even if she had one, she could pay it all off in one single payment (rather than the enternity that it takes most folks to pay it off).
                Last edited by jon-el87; 07-31-2021, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                  To answer your question:

Did a Google search: Johansson's net worth is estimated at around $165 million. So, she ain't got no mortgage... on her three luxury homes. Student loan debt? Forget it. Even if she had one, she could pay it all off in one single payment (rather than the enternity that it takes most folks to pay it off).
                  Ah, thanks. She's clearly a person not detatched from what's been going on in the world the past year and a half!

And keep in mind she made a lot of her money (I won't say most of it because we can't know for sure) thanks to the very studio she's suing right now. The studio that could have released Black Widow on Disney+ straight away in May 2020 and deprived her of any bonuses. Instead they waited for over a year until they released it in theaters in order to appease her.

I don't mean to blow a gasket over this, but I have many friends in the theater I usually go to. Their complex opens for a few weeks, business is down because many people are hesitant to go and then it closes down again when cases rise. It's been a very stressful and difficult period for them and they don't know if they'll still be employed next month. This is a real crisis, the likes of which Hollywood elites like Scarlett or Emma Stone can't relate to.

God, I feel dirty defending Disney.

Comment

Comment

So, I finally sat down and watched this. Didn't care for it. Got so bored with the action scenes and dialogue scenes, that I started to fastforward, around the time that they headed to the Red Room (hard to believe that SHIELD never spotted that thing). I just wanted it to end. No idea what the villain's immediate endgame was. Maybe it's established in one of the moments, that I skipped. I don't know.

As I've noted elsewhere, if they were going to do a Black Widow movie, they should've done it like a decade ago. Back in the day, when she was about the only live-action superheroine on the big screen. Before the release of Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman 1984 and Birds of Prey. Before Fox shifted their X-Men movie franchise, into something a bit more female superhero-centric. (Then there are all of the superheroines with their own live-action TV shows.) 10-11 years back, a (successful) Black Widow movie could've been a trailblazer. Now it feels like they just did one, just so that they can say that they did one. It's a prequel set between Civil War and Infinity War. Really restricting what they could do with Natasha. Her life is never in any real danger, because we know that she lives until 2023 (having time traveled back to 2014, but it's the 2023 Natasha who dies. This is set in 2016). I'm not invested in her relationship with these three people, that she lived with for three years, 21 years earlier. So, those scenes don't work for me.

Natasha is a wanted woman. However, she doesn't make an effort to change her appearance, until the end of the movie. You know, the scene set two weeks after she's arrested (with us never seeing her escaping). All we get is her holding a package of hair dye, earlier in the film. Yelena gives Natasha the vest, that she wears in Infinity War... that I've never thought about before. Didn't even remember it. Here's how Natasha acquired a random piece of clothing, that she wears in one movie. This isn't like the start of Last Crusade, when we see how Indiana Jones got his hat. That hat is an iconic part of the character (and the whole thing signaled more how that dude with the hat (originally intended to be Marion Ravenwood's father) was more of an influence on Indiana, than Indy's actual father. It helps to inform us on Indy's relationship with his dad). Natasha's Infinity War vest isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎