Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "Absence"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "Absence"?

So this episode was…okay?

We began with the boys returning to the Bunker, looking for Mary and Jack. They don’t find them and start making calls. We get name checked on Donna, Charlie, Bobby and Rowena (No Jodi? She’s a Sheriff, you’d think that would be one of the first calls?). Cas calls and he finally tells Dean about the snake and Jack.

Sam has the bright idea to track Jack’s phone and we see him pining from place to place (fun fact, as pointed out by SuperWiki, all the places Jack went to? Are associated with healing.). Jack ends up back at the start and talking to Hallucifer (shades of when Sam did the same; nice callback), who appears to be Jack’s subconscious or something. Maybe his guilt?

We find out Mary is dead (something I got spoiled on before the episode but even without, I think it would have been fairly obvious). I can’t say I felt that upset by it. Partly because no one ever stays dead on this show but mostly because Mary hasn’t really felt like a character since her return. I mean, she pops in and out, she has occasional heartfelt talks with the boys, then she’s gone again. Also, still kinda angry with her for bailing on Sam and Dean after her return so don’t particularly feel full of grief for her to be gone again.

Anyway, the boys make it to the site and Sam finds Nick’s body. We get a flashback (the first of several) to Cas and Mary on a hunt (before she ditched out on the boys). Then Cas joins the boys and he explains. Dean lashes out—hard—at Cas. Rowena calls and tells them that “Mary Winchester is no longer on this Earth”.

Dean loses it and then makes a plan to resurrect Mary with Rowena’s help. His little speech to Cas, including that “Go to Heaven” line sure sounded more like he was telling Cas to go to Hell.

Also, can we talk about the excellent score/music in this episode? Particularly in that scene? Kudos to the sound department for that.

Jack arrives at Rowena’s and whisks her away just as the boys arrive. He takes her to the site and tries to undo what was done. We get another flashback (Jack and Mary training, which I think felt a little forced? I mean, like they were trying to shoehorn in a bigger connection? Also, if Mary cared so much where was she when Jack was dying?), including Sam with his sadness!beard.

Sam and Dean have a talk at Rowena’s about how they both feel guilty over Jack.

Rowena prepares the spell while Jack gets another visit from Hallucifer.

Cas finally contacts Heaven. Dumah tells him that Mary is Heaven (and we finally get confirmation that John is in Heaven too. In fact, they appear to have one of those ‘soulmate’ Heavens? Jointly, which Ash pointed out is rare). Also, I thought it was interesting that Mary’s door had 2 dates on it (how many would Dean and Sam’s have? All the times they’ve died and all.).

Jack finishes the spell but only brings Mary’s body (or a replica, as Sam tells us later) back. Dean gets his flashback (the shortest) of Mary sleeping on his shoulder in the Impala.

They give Mary a Hunter funeral. Cas tries to approach Dean but Sam holds him back. Sam understands that Dean needs space.

We also see Jack, apparently listening to Hallucifer, and realizing he has broken ties with the Winchesters.

So yeah, felt like a lot of setup to break up the ‘family’. Also, we still haven’t been told if Jack has a soul or not (if he doesn’t, how is he feeling remorse for his actions? Fear of what Sam and Dean will do? I know Hallucifer said it was an ‘echo’ but c’mon!).

Seems like Jack might be our big bad now? Will the boys have to kill him? Can they kill him (I mean, he is the most powerful being on the planet right now? They couldn’t even take out Michael without help!).

Like I said, an okay episode but sorta fillerish and just a setup for what’s to come. I understand the setup was needed but it felt sort of dragged out. Especially with only 2 episodes left for the season!
    10--Better than one of Rowena's spells
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1--worse than one of Rowena's spells
    0%

^^^^Jodi was mentioned. She was the first one that they said that talked to. It was quick thought so you could blink and miss it, lol

Yeah, I sort of saw this coming when Jack came back and seemed to have lost his soul that it would set him up as the "big bad." But what I didn't see coming was Mary going out that way.....I had hoped she would stick around longer especially with the series ending next year. But this is Supernatural so I think she will be back in some way at least in the series finale.

That said, Jack is super powerful but I wonder if The Empty will come into play as well.

Comment

Ah, must have missed that one. Thanks.

I was really hoping they weren't setting Jack up to be the Big Bad. I hoped they would be more original than that. Alas...

I really thought Jack was a red herring and the Empty would be the Big Bad at the end of this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
        Ah, must have missed that one. Thanks.

I was really hoping they weren't setting Jack up to be the Big Bad. I hoped they would be more original than that. Alas...

I really thought Jack was a red herring and the Empty would be the Big Bad at the end of this season.

Yeah, I agree with you. I think something else is coming and that Jack won't be what Sam, Dean and Cas have to really stop.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎