No announcement yet.

Falcon & Winter Soldier (Disney+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy G.
    [SPOILER]Sam giving up Cap's shield, to be put on display. I just knew it wouldn't be in that box for long. I seriously dread this "new Captain America." Is he going to be a complete douche? A corporate puppet? Or is he in it for the right reasons?[/SPOILER]
    That’s exactly it...we don’t know for sure what to make of the guy. [SPOILER]We only know that Sam, by the look on his face, regretted not taking the mantle. I believe that through the course of this season Sam will finally feel he’s worthy of it and take it back. I not sure but, I believe that that training bit with the shield (from that final trailer) is the last scene of the season; where he and Bucky have an understanding that they’re partners and they walk off down the road together.[/SPOILER]

Comment

Finding myself having strange legal questions.

Who owns the Captain America IP (in-universe)? Assuming that there is one. Steve Rogers or the United States government and/or military? After all, the identity was created for propaganda purposes during WWII, by the U.S. Armed Forces. We also saw some Captain America comics, at the end of First Avenger. Of course, at the same time, much propaganda material from that era, appears to already be in public domain. But, if the U.S. military or government owns it, it's up to them to decide who can use it. And who legally owns the shield? It was created by Howard Stark (so, Stark Industries property?), while under contract with the U.S. Armed Forces (so, is it the property of the U.S. Armed Forces?). I'm bringing this up, because it looks like "who should rightfully be called 'Captain America' and use the shield?" will be a core question. The problem that is, that it appears likely that both name and shield would legally be the property of the United States government. In which case, it'd be up to them to decide who gets to use name and shield.
      Last edited by jon-el87; 03-21-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Good points made by the crew especially the idea that both Sam and Bucky are the two halves of Captain America...the man out of time and the soldier. It’s going to be interesting watching how things unfold and who actually takes the mantle and what will that mean going forward in the MCU.

Comment

Episode 2: The Star Spangled Man

It seems like there’s a definite trend with this series. So far, early in each episode we get an action set piece than we get into character development the rest of the episode.

[SPOILER] So we start out by getting to learn a little bit about the “new” Captain America who’s similar to Steve Rogers. It really give you sympathy for him coming into the situation with such a high expectation.

We also got a bit of more info concerning the Flag Smashers. The more we get to know about this group, the more their “One World” view makes sense...a world without borders. I would just like more details about what the world order would look like.

As for our two leads... We don’t get as much development as the other two mentioned above. Sam is after the Flag Smashers while Bucky (after watching an interview with John Walker) goes to find Sam to confront him about his decision to relinquish the mantle. After some banter back and forth Bucky joins on the mission to take down the Flag Smashers; Thanks to Redwing, they are tracked to Munich. A fight breaks out atop two trucks that are loaded with vaccines. Sam and Bucky both get in trouble, fortunately John Walker shows up with his sidekick, Lemar Hoskins/Battlestar. Unfortunately, they are bested by the Flag Smashers who apparently have taken super-soldier formula.

To his credit John Walker tries to extend the olive branch to both Sam and Bucky several times without success but, they go their separate ways.

Back on the plane they took to get to Munich, Bucky tríes to convince Sam to steal the Shield back. So to get some perspective Bucky introduces Sam to the other super soldier from his time...Isaiah Bradley who had a very different experience from Steve Rogers. Sam rails at Bucky because no one every told them (or Steve) there had been a Black super soldier. Their fight is cut short after Sam gets racially profiled...only for the cop to be reminded who Sam is. It turns out though, they had a warrant for Bucky’s arrest for missing his court appointed therapy session.

John Walker posts Bucky’s bail but, first both Bucky and Sam have to sit through a couples therapy session. It’s in the session that we learn why Bucky was upset that Sam relinquished the mantle...it would mean he failed Steve. In the end they decide to work together to get to the bottom of what’s really going; once their mission is completed they’ll go their separate ways. After recalling something Isaiah said they head off to see Zemo as “free agents”.
          [/SPOILER]

We’re almost half way through the season and we’ve yet to catch up to Sharon Carter or for that matter Zemo. So I’m curious where they’ll fit into the grand scheme of things. It feels like we’re already loaded up with villains. So I wonder if Zemo is an ally until the immediate threats are handled.
          Last edited by darkphoenix21; 03-27-2021, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Enter Isaiah Bradley... and his grandson, Elijah (AKA Patriot), in the same scene. Wasn't expecting them both to show up. Liked that Elijah got to be a minor character, in the scene. He's established, but wasn't given extra attention in his first scene, just because of his (per the comics) future. There's plenty of time in subsequent episodes. The focus was one where it needed to be: his grandfather. These two episodes sure have introduced a lot of Marvel superheroes: Torres, U.S.Agent, Battlestar, Isaiah and Elijah. Curious who might show up in the third episode. Would be interesting to see one of the Destroyers: Brian Falsworth, Keen Marlowe and Roger Aubrey. Especially Brian or Roger, but I doubt it. Brian and Roger would be an exploration of the Nazis/Hydra experimenting on homosexual men (who would then likely return home (after having helped the Allies during WWII), after the war, and thrown in prison for being gay), while Isaiah invites an exploration of racism in America (with Isaiah's story being inspired by the Tuskegee Syphilis Study). Looking at these two episodes, they clearly want to explore the latter.

Regardless if any Destroyer is brought in, I do expect Sam and Bucky to team up with a lot the introduced (and to be introduced, in upcoming episodes) Marvel superheroes (including an enhanced Elijah), in the finale. In this episode, they mention Power Broker, so that character will play some part in all of this.

Between Tommy and Billy being introduced in Wandavision and Elijah being introduced here, Hulkling will probably be introduced in Secret Invasion (which I'm assuming will be released pre-Captain Marvel 2). Young Avengers is looking more and more likely.

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
            [SPOILER]The more we get to know about this group, the more their “One World” view makes sense...a world without borders.[/SPOILER]
            Lots of groups have simple slogans. It's important to not fall for it, but to think critically. As we're getting deeper into what they mean by "one people, one world", we will see their true darkness. What truly is in their manifesto? (that some followers failed to read)? What's their plan? "One people" could mean genocide of anyone outside one specific group (for example, in this case, "let's get rid of everyone who came back").
            Last edited by jon-el87; 03-21-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
              [SPOILER]Lots of groups have simple slogans. It's important to not fall for it, but to think critically. As we're getting deeper into what they mean by "one people, one world", we will see their true darkness. What truly is in their manifesto? (that some followers failed to read)? What's their plan? "One people" could mean genocide of anyone outside one specific group (for example, in this case, "let's get rid of everyone who came back").[/SPOILER]
              Exactly, my point. I see their side of things. So far we haven’t seen what their “One World” means in this case but, it doesn’t sound all that bad (for now). What have we seen so far... When we first meet them they’ve just stolen something in two duffel bags (we don’t know what exactly). This episode they are shown stealing two cargos full of vaccinations (we don’t know for whom). They haven’t killed anyone. Torres gets his butt kicked and so do our heroes. They’ve been called Robin Hoods. And like many of these organizations their members will give their lives for the cause (as we saw).

It gives me vibes of the whole NXVIM cult thing; at first the organization sounded like a great idea than as we learn more about Keith Raniere, the more it became clear that, nope this guy was a master manipulator and the organization was a horror show behind the scenes.
              Last edited by darkphoenix21; 03-27-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
                This episode they are shown stealing two cargos full of vaccinations (we don’t know for whom).
                I don't think those were vaccines. Just because it says one thing on the box, doesn't mean it's truly what's inside it. Could be variations of a super soldier serum or something. Hence what that text, that Erin Kellyman's character, gets from the Power Broker refers to.
                Last edited by jon-el87; 03-21-2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                  [SPOILER]I don't think those were vaccines. Just because it says one thing on the box, doesn't mean it's truly what's inside it. Could be variations of a super soldier serum or something. Hence what that text, that Erin Kellyman's character, gets from the Power Broker refers to.[/SPOILER]
                  Until they actually show what that really is we can only speculate.

The text message seemed to be just for Karli. Some people are speculating that it could be John Walker... he has all the training but, he isn’t a super soldier and so he wants the formula. We still don’t know if they actually have a connection so, it’s only speculation for now.

Update:

It is mentioned (by John Walker) where Karli and crew are taking the medicine/vaccines...to one of the many displaced communities/camps that was created after the blip. So many people where displaced because they didn’t have income (like Sam) for five years and/or homes to come back to.

I wonder if we’ll ever actually get a series that will deal exclusively with the aftermath of the blip. Obviously these series will have that through line but, it won’t be the main focus. I’m just spitballing, I don’t know how it’ll come across but, what if they do an hour long special almost in the vein of a telethon with glimpses of the devastation some communities (e.g. Westview) have found themselves in after the blip. Or better yet a documentary style special from the POV of those whose lives have gotten worse after the blip.
                  Last edited by darkphoenix21; 03-28-2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Comment

Episode 3

Quite liked that guy's reaction, when Walker identified himself as Captain America. Along with Zemo's response to Sam's comment on the clothes. An ackowledgement that Americans and non-Americans don't look at things the same way. Of course, both characters are baddies, so the former's reaction might've been an example of him being a bad person... because he is a non-American who isn't amazed by someone calling himself "Captain America".

Hoping that Sharon gets a scene with her father. Could tie into Agent Carter, with an ackowledgment of Michael Carter as her grandfather.

Okay, so there were 20 doses of the super soldier serum. Karlie and friends have used eight (that we know of), leaving 12 doses. I'm assuming that one goes to John Walker. Elijah Bradley (or will they go with the bloodtransfusion from his grandfather)? The big question is if all 20 will be used, by the finale (resulting in the presence of 20 super soldiers, for the climax).
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 03-21-2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Episode 3: Power Broker

Great episode!

[SPOILER] As the episode starts we get a Global Repatriation Council (GRC) commercial; Helping the blipped get back on their feet...Me thinks it’s a bunch of BS!!! Especially after we see John Walker come out of the GRC police van...

So this Cap curses: “Do you know who I am!”...I could just imagine what Tony would say😂 He’s showing his true colors. I liked that later in the episode Battlestar starts questioning Walker’s motivations.

At the beginning of this episode again,I didn’t see evidence that the Flag Smashers were all that bad...especially Karli. They’ve given displaced people shelter and medicine. We even saw Karli visit a loved one.

Meanwhile...

Sam and Bucky go see Zemo in Berlin. Bucky goes in alone due to their history. Bucky wants to break Zemo out of prison. Bucky gives Sam a hypothetical which actually happens. Someone recreated the super soldier formula. Hydra may not have been involved this time around. Bucky asks Sam to stick out his neck for him once again. Zemo who spent years tracking down people Hydra recruited to recreate the super- soldier formula has connections that can lead them to the person responsible. He sort of an evil less threatening Bruce Wayne with an Alfred to boot😂

We find out that the composition book Bucky has been using was Steve’s. How did Zemo get his hands on it?

Having watched Godzilla vs. Kong the other day, Madripoor has almost the same look as Hong Kong in that film. As Zemo explains, they have to play roles to get to the person who has information about the creator of the new super-soldier formula. Unfortunately for Bucky he has to play his old Winter Soldier persona, while Sam on the other hand plays as he states “pimp” ...Smiling Tiger (a fashion forward businessman)...whelp, since Zemo is rich he knows fashion and he’s right about perspective😂

So they go to a bar (so cliche) to find this Selby person who will hopefully lead them to whoever is recreated the serum. It turns out that Zemo has history with the Power Broker in passing (he rules in Madripoor)...enter Bucky who has to show he’s still the Winter Soldier (in of course a bar fight). This satisfies the bartender which leads them to Selby. Zemo will trade Bucky for information about this new super soldier formula and its creator. She tells them that the serum is in Madripoor. A Dr. Wilfred Nagel is responsible for it. The Power Broker had him working on it. Unfortunately Sarah calls and the ruse is up.

Sharon Carter shows up saving their butts. As it turns out, she has been hiding out in Madripoor as well; after we last saw her, she’s now disillusioned and branded an enemy of the state, unable to go back home. Sharon has been hustling in Madripoor; selling real paintings to willing buyers. Sam offers her a deal for helping them track down Nagel...which would entail, clearing her name.

They find Nagel in a shipping container. Sharon stays outside as lookout; having to deal with bounty hunters who want their heads for killing Selby. Nagel tells them he was brought in by Hydra to pick up their work in the Winter Soldier Program, after that failed he was recruited by the CIA. He was able to isolate blood samples from a super-soldier (Isaiah) thus creating a new and improved formula but, before he could complete it, the blip happened. When he returned, he was then recruited by the Power Broker. Nagel created 20 serums of the formula which Karli stole. So eight serums have been used and twelve remaining. What’s the likelihood that a few of them will go to some of them (e.g. Walker, maybe Sam)?

A couple of days earlier Karli contacted Nagel to help a Donya Madani (the woman she went to see earlier) with tuberculosis. Zemo kills Nagel (assuming so nobody else could get their hands on Nagel). And just like that chaos erupts. Zemo disappears. They have a firefight with the bounty hunters outside. Eventually Zemo comes to the rescue wearing his infamous purple mask. After which they part ways with Sharon.

Sharon is working with someone. I suspect she’s already been pardoned and/or has been undercover in Madripoor. I’m also thinking she’s after the Power Broker. As I’m hearing some are speculating that she could be the Power Broker...that would be a nice twist but, I don’t think so; we’ll see.

Elsewhere we see Karli and fellow Flag Smasher Dovich outside a GRC Supply Facility. It looks like taking the serum had it’s side effects. Seeing as Karli has the last of the vials, the Power Broker will be after her (she’s counting on it). They steal more medicine and supplies but, to Dovich’s surprise Karli blows up the facility with innocent people still inside. The Flag Smashers just crossed the line now.

It seems that most of our characters have shades of grey to them. It’ll be interesting to see which side people ultimately fall into by the end.

So as the episode closes we find Zemo, Sam and Bucky in Riga going to Zemo’s place. Bucky decides to take a walk having found some Wakanda tech. He finds other tech bread crumbs which lead him to an alley face to face with Ayo (the second in command of Dora Milaje) looking for Zemo. It make sense, they set it up earlier in the episode. The Wankandans want Zemo for killing the King and since he broke out of jail, he’s now fair game.
                        [/SPOILER]

This was the longest episode thus far, it was very well paced. Again, I enjoyed it immensely. There wasn’t a big action set piece like in the previous two episodes. It re-introduced characters, expanding their backstories in the process. I can’t wait until all the players come face to face with each other. We got a lot for one episode so, I’m curious how the second half of this season will go with only three episodes to go. In Feige I trust.
                        Last edited by darkphoenix21; 04-02-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

After watching the episode a few times now, I’m under the impression that the Power Broker (as the title of the episode suggests) is in fact [SPOILER] Zemo; this episode was all about Zemo. As we saw early on when Bucky tells Sam the hypothetical about breaking him out of jail but, who’s to say that it wasn’t already planned out by Zemo; all Bucky did was pass a note, Zemo did the rest. He tells Bucky the plan; even where to meet up once he escaped. Later Zemo comments to Selby about their “type of people” getting out of prison. He’s always one step ahead; everything he’s doing is for a reason (even shooting Negal which wasn’t necessary). I think he’s been waiting patiently for an opportunity and he got it, in the form of Bucky and Sam. It’s also in the trailers that he wants to see the fall of all heroes. [/SPOILER] Everything was just too convenient.

Comment

Comment

Episode 4: The Whole World Is Watching

For an episode with so many moving pieces that ending was an OMG moment!!! It lived up to the title of the episode and more.

[SPOILER] I knew when the battle began Hoskins was going to die. It didn’t help that when he was captured you see in the foreground water was dripping...almost counting down the moment of his death. I just didn’t expect the violence on a Disney+ series (let alone an MCU series). The visual of Walker smashing the shield into the Flag Smasher as you see a crowd of people gathering with phones recording everything (of course people would pull out their phones)....you knew something major was about to happen as soon as Walker caught up to him in front of what I assume was a statue or fountain. The moment you see the blood on the shield then Sam & Bucky approach as more on lookers gather and Walker’s expression as he’s looking all around him....SAID EVERYTHING!!!

Obviously, he’s done as Captain America. Though, I’m sure this is where he’ll transition into US Agent as some in the government (and some civilians) will look at what just happened as justifiable.

Even from the second episode this guy had things stacked against him (with his Carl Fredrickson meme worthy punchable face). He already had this pressure of living up to the legacy of Steve Rogers...than in each episode there after he was disrespected at every turn (from Sam/Bucky as well and in this episode). You could see the buildup of frustration and aggression than when he took the serum that only amplified everything to 10x; the final straw of seeing Hoskins limp/dead it went to 100x. It was just such an unfortunate way to die for both Hoskins and the Flag Smasher (who earlier in the episode expressed his fandom for Captain America as a kid, only to get killed by his shield).

Elsewhere there were multiple times where I though Zemo would escape and/or betray them...which eventually did happen (just a few fake outs). He was right about people taking the serum. Steve Rogers was from another era. I don’t know how pure the first serums that he or Isaiah took but, best believe it was much more stable than this new serum.
                              [/SPOILER]

Again even with all the exposition that dramatic ending was still a shock.
                              Last edited by darkphoenix21; 04-09-2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

This could have been a hilarious April Fool’s joke had they just had this continuous dance loop of Zemo dancing instead of the actual episode last week😭

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎