No announcement yet.

Marvel’s What If…? (Disney+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel’s What If…? (Disney+)

The series showcases compelling and reimagined famous events from films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, creating a multiverse of infinite possibilities. Fan-favorite characters return, including Peggy Carter, T’Challa, Doctor Strange, Killmonger, Thor, and more. The new series, directed by Bryan Andrews with AC Bradley as head writer, features signature MCU action with a curious twist.

Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-08-2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Episode 1. "What If... Captain Carter Were The First Avenger?"

Colonel Flynn (paraphrased): "Women don't fight on the front lines."

Dear Colonel Flynn. All the female SOE and OSS agents, working behind enemy lines right now, are giving you the finger. Alongside the entire 93rd Searchlight regiment.

Didn't realize it at first, but Colonel Flynn was Bradley Whitford reprising his role from the Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter. Nice touch.

Steve Rogers as a proto-Iron Man felt a bit unnecessary. An attempt to keep him in the story. The ending felt like they were trying to line up with the end of First Avenger. Unless we see this incarnation of peggy again, did they need to send her into the future?

Would've liked to have seen some of Peggy's everyday life, as a tall musclar woman, in the 1940s.
            Last edited by jon-el87; 02-20-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Episode 1: What If…Captain Carter Were the First Avenger?

I really like the animation style of the series. They’re drawn exactly as they would appear in live action. Everything seemed to flow so seamlessly throughout what was essentially the first Captain America movie; it paralleled the film so well. And because this is a 1/2 series they hit all the major plot points much more efficiently; it’s probably because we’ve already gone through it once before and it also helped that most of the original cast reprised their roles (with the exception of Chris Evans & Hugo Weaving).

So our narrator “The Watcher” (Jeffrey Wright) towards the end of the episode stated that he would not interfere but only observe. I don’t fully believe that. If this is all connected than eventually something inevitably changes that that he’ll have to interfere (e.g. Eternals).

So on to the actual episode...

I liked how subtly (or not so subtly) things were altered…It’s interesting that the Watcher pointed out the moment things changed. Instead of Steve getting the Super-soldier serum Peggy does. And just like that she became this universe’s Captain.

I was curious though, why she was called Captain Carter instead of Captain Britain…though I guess because she’s a British woman working for the American military it was the best compromise.

Are we going to get more episodes in the same way we get these marvel movies?…example: Will we come back to Peggy’s story now that she’s in the present; even if it’s 3-4 episodes later. So basically are we going to get an alternative version(s) of everything we’ve seen in live action thus far?
              Last edited by darkphoenix21; 08-25-2021, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
                Are we going to get more episodes in the same way we get these marvel movies?…example: Will we come back to Peggy’s story now that she’s in the present; even if it’s 3-4 episodes later. So basically are we going to get an alternative version(s) of everything we’ve seen in live action thus far?
                Yeah, the big question on my mind is whether any of this stuff will lead to anything? The old What If...? comics tended to be one-offs. However, when they did Spider-Verse (the comic event, not the film), I know that they did bring in several of the old AU spider characters (ex. Betty Brant from What If #7, who hails from a universe where it was she who got bitten by the radioactive spider, not Peter Parker, and she became Spider-Girl). It could be that this series will tie into Multiverse of Madness. With this series giving smaller/cameo characters, more meat on their bones. They're not just random cameos, but already fleshed out characters whose backstory have been told to us, by this series. If Hayley Atwell appears as Captain Carter, in the film, it carries a greater impact, as we've seen her story (if you haven't, and am curious to know how she ended up like this, you can look this episode up, after seeing the film). We know who she is. They haven't just thrown Hayley Atwell into a Captain America-esque costume, for a random gag, for a few seconds (with no explaination for how she became like this).
                Last edited by jon-el87; 08-11-2021, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Heard some online speculations that the tentacles creature might be Shuma-Gorath, a villain of Dr. Strange. If that is the case, it could point towards to my above theory (provided that Shuma-Gorath is a villain in the picture).
                  Last edited by jon-el87; 02-20-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Episode 2:

Got extremely bored within a few minutes. Found Korath fanboying over T'Challa/Star-Lord exhausting (really got tired of hearing how amazing T'Challa/Star-Lord is, from all the characters). Speaking of T'Challa... why is he called "Star-Lord"? That was a nickname, given to Peter Quill by his late mother. Peter went around calling himself "Star-Lord", because of her. Where would T'Challa have gotten it? Why would he be motivated to call himself that? The difference in history was caused, because Yondu's people grabbed the wrong kid... Why not just ditch this kid, and go back and pick up the right one? Frankly, I thought that the first episode was better. They gave a solid motivation for why Steve Rogers ended up not taking the super-soldier serum (he had been shot and injured). Why Peggy ended up being his replacement (they were loosing power, and weren't going to get a second shot at this experiment. Also, all the serum went into her. So, no do-overs).

T'Challa appeared to have the powers of the Black Panther. Which T'Challa only got as an adult, after consuming that herb in Wakanda.
                    Last edited by jon-el87; 02-20-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Episode 2: What If…T’Challa Became a Star-Lord?

Such a bittersweet episode due to the fact that Chadwick Boseman is no longer with us. I absolutely loved this episode.

[SPOILER] So in this universe T’Challa is mistaken for Peter Quill and thus his turn as Star Lord was created… A better more respected Star Lord.

I laughed out loud when it was revealed that T’Challa as a charismatic diplomat, was able to talk Thanos down in his plan to eliminate half the population and was now a bartender. Who eventually becomes part of the crew.

Along for the ride were Yondu, Nebula sporting a blonde new look, Korath as some sort of fanboy Cree and even Howard the Duck.

And now the Collector was the “Thanos” of this universe, who guess somehow gets Capt’s Shield and Hela’s crown among other things. I was happy that his assistant got her revenge in this universe.

It was also interesting that besides Drax and Quill we didn’t get Rocket, Groot or Gamora in any capacity.
                      [/SPOILER]

I can’t wait until the next episode.
                      Last edited by darkphoenix21; 08-25-2021, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Episode 3: What If…The World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?

I didn’t like this episode. I get that the premise of the series will invoke some bizarre stories but it felt so weak. I guess it was the reveal of the person behind all of it. If it was an Avenger that would have been a more intriguing story development or someone completely left field.

[SPOILER]It just felt way too easy for all them to have been killed off. I didn’t believe for one second that Hank Pym could carry out all the assassinations…especially on Thor and Bruce/Hulk. I could understand the humans of the team, but a god and indestructible beast. It took Loki to defeat Pym and as Loki would do (which I could believe) try to take over the world. [/SPOILER]

Hopefully, the next episode will be just as powerful and interesting as the first two episodes.
                        Last edited by darkphoenix21; 08-25-2021, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Episode 3:

Thought it was an improvement over the second episode, with a murder mystery. Mind you, the resolution was a bit questionable. Didn't think that the timeline lined up with Iron Man 2 and Thor. Coulson left for New Mexico, quite a while after the diner scene in Iron Man 2 (the scene taking place, the morning after Rhodey took the Mark II suit). Thor is stated to be almost a thousand years old in 2011... when Infinity War established him to be 1500 years old, in 2018. Must not forget The Incredible Hulk. Where was super-soldier Blonsky during the Culver City battle? Where was Odin for Loki's conquest of Earth? Coulson seems to have same-sex attraction towards Thor and Captain America. Guess that he's bisexual. Of course, it's not unheard of for AU versions of a character to have a different gender, race or sexual orientation.
                          Last edited by jon-el87; 02-20-2022, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Episode 4: What If…Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?

Whelp… the lesson learned here is that some things are just inevitable, no matter how much you want to control things.

This was literally a very self contained episode. I actually appreciate that this series is going to darker places; that at the end of the day not every story ends with a happy ending.

It’s interesting that in this episode [SPOILER] the Watcher actually interacted with Strange. He’s very adamant that he can’t interfere but, he made his presence known. I really do hope we get to see Jeffrey Wright as the Watcher in a live action film; especially if this series does have baring on the larger MCU[/SPOILER]

Comment

Episode 4:

The tentacle creature is back. Perhaps they want to keep it in people's mind. Tease it. Especially if it turns out to be something that'll be in Multiverse of Madness. Was not expecting the Watcher to have a conversation with Strange, given how his role previously had been mere narrator. Strange says that he has read about the Watcher. Upon watching the episode a second time, I've become convinced that the Watcher (played by Jeffrey Wright) will be in Multiverse of Madness. Thought that the episode gave a good depiction of why you can't just fix everything with time travel. The possible catastrophic effects of just bringing back a regular person. Of course, Gamora was killed off and they managed to get another one, from an alternate reality. In theory, per Endgame rules, Strange would just produce an alternate Christine, by going back in time. This AU version living would not affect the history of this Strange's future. At the same time, by bringing the AU past Christine, into the present of his reality, Strange would be removing the element of her from her native universe (per what the Ancient one says). Maybe she hails from a universe, where Stephen Strange dies... and Christine Palmer is the one to seek out the Ancient One (learning the mystic arts)? Christine is the one to stop Dormamu. But, by removing Christine, from her universe (on the night of the accident), Strange prevents her from doing so (dooming that universe).

Kind of makes me question what impact the removal of 2014 Gamora, from her universe, might've done to it. The version of Peter Quill/Star-Lord of that universe never meets her (perhaps not Drax either, as his introduction to the others involved her). Altering the events of both Guardians movies. Maybe the Guardians never unite. The power stone ends up in Ronan's hands... and he destroys Xandar. All because Gamora wasn't there, to play her part in the formation of the group. People really shouldn't mess around with time travel.
                              Last edited by jon-el87; 02-20-2022, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎