No announcement yet.

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Wonder Woman squares off against the Cheetah, a villainess who possesses superhuman strength and agility.

It is expected to be released on: June 5, 2020

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Warner Bros. is pushing back the release of upcoming superhero tentpole Wonder Woman 1984 two months due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.The sequel, which was set to hit theaters in North America on June 5, will now hit the big screen on Aug. 14.

Comment

As horrible as this pandemic has been, it gave studios a good opportunity to experiment with digital releases of blockbusters. It's something a lot of moviegoers have asked for for many years. Instead, they keep pushing back their movie releases without any indication that things will be better in a few months.

Comment

They’ve moved the release date for the film once again. It was supposed to have been released on August 24th, 2020 (after being moved from its original date of June 5th, 2020) but, its now getting a fall release of October 2nd, 2020. The news comes after Christopher Nolan’s TENET movie shifted its release date of July 17th, 2020 to July 31st, 2020. It’s still to be seen if Disney’s Mulan will still be released on July 24th, 2020

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ctober-1298282

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...d-july-1285728
        Last edited by darkphoenix21; 06-12-2020, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Any old timers still around?

Sad to see this once great community now so whithered away. I remember the great discussions that we had regarding man of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
            Any old timers still around?

Sad to see this once great community now so whithered away. I remember the great discussions that we had regarding man of steel.
            I still poke my head around. Got frustrating as I was trying to have conversations with people a few months ago, and the forums kept self deleting posts and threads. I miss some of the old discussions here. I REALLY miss the even older Smallville discussions as seasons went on.

Comment

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
              I still poke my head around. Got frustrating as I was trying to have conversations with people a few months ago, and the forums kept self deleting posts and threads. I miss some of the old discussions here. I REALLY miss the even older Smallville discussions as seasons went on.
              Hey !

I miss the discussions too. I wonder what many of those people think of the blockbusters of the past few years.

Why are posts being deleted?

Comment

If I remember right, Craig said on another thread it was a server issue, and the forum backup kept getting reloaded or something. We just kept reverting back a few months, with all new threads/posts being gone.

Comment

Comment

Its been moved to December 25.

Comment

Perfect! Since I plan to take that week off between Christmas and New Years. So if it’s just as good or even just slightly better than the first film, I’ll be going to the theaters multiple times during the holidays.

Comment

The movie is being released in theaters as expected but...it’ll also be available on HBO Max at no additional cost to subscribers on Christmas Day for a month. Best early Christmas present this year!!! I’ll definitely be getting my fill of the movie until it’s removed. 😀👏

https://tvline.com/2020/11/18/wonder...t-list-wrapper

They couldn’t keep delaying this movie any longer after multiple date changes and after it was originally going to be released back in 2019. We don’t know if in six months or so theaters will still be shutdown and/or even exist. And even after the vaccine has been distributed, will the masses want to go back into a theater. And this from one who’s been an AMC A-List subscriber since day one and unfortunately had to cancel my membership because of the pandemic and everything being pushed back or released to streaming (I share most of the major streaming services with other family members; including HBO Max).

Comment

After being delayed for a year we finally got to see the sequel; whether you wanted to see it in theaters or like many of us in the comfort of our homes, it finally arrived today at a little before 12pm EST.

Unfortunately, for me it was a disappointment (even having already watched it twice to be certain). I really wanted this movie to live up to the hype and surpass the original but, it missed the mark of what made the first one enjoyable. The anticipation was much higher than the actual movie.

[SPOILER] The entire plot device of this movie hinged on the wishes granted from a “magical stone”... I mean if you think about, that’s the kind of plot device you could image would be from an ‘80s blockbuster movie of the era but, just didn’t fly (no pun intended even when Diana actually flies like Superman) quite right.

So Steve Trevor was brought back by Diana wishing it and instead of him actually coming back from the dead his consciousness takes over a random guy’s body; we as the audience see the guy as Steve Trevor like Diana. Barbara wishes to be like Diana. Maxwell wishes to be the dreamstone itself; why they didn’t just have him wish to be rich and successful is beyond me and would have been much easier to swallow; yet as we learn each wish came with a price (monkey’s paw reference)...Diana started to lose her abilities, Maxwell become greedier and greedier for power, while Barbara started to be more aggressive and violent getting all the attention she could ever want.

The movie suffered from an over bloated runtime. They definitely could have cut a half hour of this movie without missing a beat. Yet, I wish we would have spent a little bit more time back in Themyscira as well as had gotten more Wonder Woman.

On the flip side for such a long movie, it lacked any true character development. They never go into Maxwell’s relationship with his son or Maxwell’s sickness (which I didn’t know if that was actually anything). Barbara as a character was the cliche caricature of a pathetic loser turned villain. As for Diana, I thought the lesson she learned as a child would have came back in some way but, it didn’t; she didn’t exactly take a shortcut. The lesson here was of accepting the truth...to accept that no matter how badly she wishes the real Steve was there, everything has a price for what you desire the most (got that), but than this message got lost and a bit convoluted when she was speaking to everyone watching the broadcast. I understood what everyone renouncing their wishes was meant to do (again the message just got lost).

Unfortunately, once again the ending was a weak spot; even with Diana in her gold eagle winged armored flying down and fighting a Barbara turned Cheetah (thanks to a second wish granted by Maxwell) it was a bit anti-climactic. Barbara gets a few swings and manages to tear some of the feather pieces off the armor before they wind up in the water and Diana electrocutes Barbara
                          [/SPOILER]

There were things I liked...

[SPOILER]I did like how they introduced the invisible jet. In all her years she’d been trying to figure out how Zeus made the island invisible; when she practiced on a cup she succeeded hence never being able find it afterwards. They unfortunately never go any further in explanation on how it’s actually done. She’s able to conjure an invisible force field and make the jet itself invisible to radar and that’s as far as we got with it.

Some of the action set pieces like the mall sequence at the beginning (a fun scene) and them chasing down Maxwell in the Middle East were good. I just wish we seen more Diana be Wonder Woman and inspire more people for that ending to have more impactful. It still seemed like she was hiding from the world instead of being in it.

It took less time for Diana to finally be able to fly than it did for Clark on Smallville😂 I definitely got ‘Superman: The Movie’ vibes from the voice-over of Steve and Diana balancing herself in the air. All we needed to see was Diana flying above the Earth and I would have lost it😂.
                          [/SPOILER]

On a big positive...[SPOILER]They couldn’t have ended it any better than to have had that mid-credit cameo from OG Wonder Woman herself Lynda Carter as Asteria (very much alive saving just saved a woman with her child from a falling pillar); who better to be the Amazon Legend that all Amazons inspire to be [/SPOILER] Could this be a setup for a potential WW3? I certainly hope so.

I’m actually glad this was released on HBO Max because I probably wouldn’t have gone to see it more than once in theaters (if we weren’t still dealing with the pandemic). I’ll probably rewatch it one more time before it’s removed. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to find a DC film since ‘Man of Steel’ that I’d wanted to rewatch over and over again; the MCU movies may be cookie cutter at this point but, I’ve watched each of those movies countless times.
                          Last edited by darkphoenix21; 12-31-2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I got to watch it too as well. I often got the impression from this movie that the writers really wanted to write for Lynda Carter's WW instead of Gal Godot's WW.
                            There was a lot of things in the movie that wouldn't have been out of place for the 70's to 80's Wonder Woman TV show, such as the wishing stone.. but were just odd in a modern movie. Even one that was set in the 80's.

in a TV Show, I would've loved the **** out of everything they had here.... but for some reason it doesn't work in movie format? If that makes sense.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎