No announcement yet.

#3.13 "A New Napkin"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3.13 "A New Napkin"

How was the season finale? Do you guys want to see more “Daredevil”? Talk about here!

I thought I would wrap up all my thoughts in this thread. As someone who has grown a bit disillusioned towards the Marvel/Netflix shows this year, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised here. Daredevil 3 isn't just the best season we've seen from Marvel/Netflix this year. It's the best season we've seen since Daredevil 1. The hero's story is compelling, the antagonists are complex and menacing, the actions scenes are kickass and the story flows very well. In what's a rarity these days, it never feels like 13 episodes are too many. Some more thoughts:

- Storylines were heroes are down in the dumps draw a lot of negative criticism. And somemetimes it's justified. However, this concept works very well here. Matt has been through a lot until now: his body has been battered repeatedly, he has alienated his best friend, the woman he cares for has distanced herself, his former girlfriend died, his mentor died and a building fell on top of him causing his senses to get damaged. It's easy to see why he's lost his faith and why he's considering crossing the line to get the job done. Τhe whole season is a great journey of self rediscovery for Matt and of regaining the life he once had, only wiser and more mature. This season worked very well because it went back to what worked in season 1: It focused on Matt.

- Wilson Fisk is the opposite of Matt this season. As Matt spirals out of control, Fisk gains more and more power and becomes Kingpin through his impeccable manipulations. He's the kind of villain that most Marvel shows are missing. Once again Vincent D'Onofrio does a phenomenal job. He was sorely missed in season 2 and he's another reason why this season was right up there with season 1. And thankfully they didn't kill him off at the end.

- Bullseye was hit and miss I thought. I like the fact that these shows take the time to address the characters' mental illnesses and incorporate them properly into the story (just like Iron Fist did with Typhoid Mary), but Dex's portrayal was still too uneven. No offence to the actor, of course. Hopefully Bullseye will come more into his own next season, when he's the finally finished article.

- Speaking of Bullseye, one of my favorite moments of the season were the flashbacks we saw from Wilson's point of view. Brilliant directing.

- Also on the topic of directing, I can't praise enough the director of episode 4. The fight scene inside the prison was freaking epic. Even better than the hallway fight scene from season 1. It started out as a mini fight inside the interrogation room and it escalated into a full blown prison riot. And all of it in one shot!

- I like how much Foggy has evolved and grown since season 1. It's like looking at a completely different person. Karen on the other hand didn't grow much this season, but her backstory helped explain certain aspects of her character better. I was also glad to see her be less judgmental of Matt as the season went on.

- Rey Nadeem got more screentime than I thought he would. Can't say I was overly interested in him, but he does play a key role in the season. So that explains why they focused on him so much.

- Sister Maggie was a welcome addition to the show as Matt's backstory is explored even further. She will be a good replacement in his life for Father Lantom.

- On a final note, surely Matt will help Melvin Potter get out of prison now? The season ended and I was left wondering what happened to the poor guy.

9/10.

Comment

I finally finished the season tonight. I’m just speechless. That ending was just....WOW!!! This season cemented its status as the best Marvel series streaming or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎