No announcement yet.

#4.14 "Reunion"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4.14 "Reunion"

This was a pretty good episode once it got going, but seemed to jump from plot to plot too much.

The stuff with Ivy felt like more of the same, but it was ok.

Surprisigly, I found Lee somewhat interesting this week. I liked that she wanted to protect her people. Very admirable. As for Sofia's act, I hope karma truly is a b****! Thompkins has been a cumbersome character, but after tonight, I'm Team Lee! I so want her to get revenge on that b**** for what she did!

The reunion between Bruce and Alfred was good. I liked Bruce's speech, but: I was disappointed that he never actually apologized for treating Alfred like dirt. I get that the poiint may have been that he didn't have to, but still.

I was most surprised by the possible return of Nygmobblepot? There was SO much subtext when Ed/Oswald grabbed each other and invaded each other's personal space, which is a BIG problem if they have no intention of getting them together the way some people thought was going to happen. I guess we'll see...

There's my two cents. What did everybody else think?

I thought it was very well paced as an episode. Most importantly, it was an episode that cleared the air in the Jim/Harvey and Bruce/Alfred relationships. It was long overdue in both instances and I'm glad those chapters are finally closed.

I think Ivy's storyline might be done for the time being. Don't know what kind of contract Peyton List is under, but Ivy is usually the kind of character who appears for 3-4 episodes and then goes missing for 5-6. What I found interesting this time is that they seem to be setting up a rivalry between her and Selina.

Nygma's storyline is a mixed bag. I am not sure why Penguin speaking his name suddenly made his split personality disorder go away, but there's a lot I don't get about him anyway. It did feel like they teased a romantic moment at the end of episode, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it, to be honest. Gotham is known to do this. What intrigues me is the prospect of a Riddler/Penguin/Jerome team up in the coming episode. If Jerome is in them...

Ok. Onto the bane of my existence...I mean Lee! First of all, it's hard not to hate Sofia after this episode. No matter what anyone thinks of Lee, smashing her hand with a hammer was vile, ruthless and irredeemable. There's no coming back from that. Sofia has actually become a good villain because as a viewer you want to see her get hers. As for Lee, her beef with Jim has to end at some point. This episode cemented that she still hates him (over Mario? Really?), to the point of trying to throw him under the bus to save the Narrows. And it backfired on her. I didn't enjoy what happened to her, but I would have felt more sorry for her if she didn't try to make a deal with the devil using Jim as bait. And of course, now Jim wants to come to her rescue despite of his. I don't know what to make of this relationship anymore, to be honest.
    Last edited by costas22; 03-16-2018, 04:01 AM.

Comment

This was a fun episode, a lot happened in it though. The most important thing was the Jim/Harvey, Alfred/Bruce and Oswald/Ed "reunions" happening, which makes sense given the title of the episode. I'm glad Alfred told Bruce "no" at the beginning of the episode, there's no way you can be that much of a dick to your only legal guardian and think one chit-chat is gonna magically fix it. The Jim and Harvey one was the one I liked the most, first because I really didn't think they'd go the entire season without trying to make up, but rather that part in the brewery where they were shooting at each other and calling each other out on taking the lead job.

Regarding Lee, or rather Morticia Adams (seriously, she looks exactly like her right down to the hairstyle) that was incredibly messed up for Sofia to smash her hand like that. I'm eagerly looking forward to Sofia getting put down for good, though as Jim put it, it's kinda his fault she's there.

Comment

What is it with this show and hand injuries? Somebody on the writer's staff must have a fear of losing their hands. Seriously though....what happened to Lee was brutal, and far more symbolic due to the fact that she's a doctor.

I know the Riddler/cobblepot shippers are gonna go nuts over that one scene, heh. I know ship-teasing when I see it.

But yeah, I agree with others in this thread that the best scene in this episode was the one where Alfred made Bruce work for his forgiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
          Ivy's storyline might be done for the time being. Don't know what kind of contract Peyton List is under, but Ivy is usually the kind of character who appears for 3-4 episodes and then goes missing for 5-6. What I found interesting this time is that they seem to be setting up a rivalry between her and Selina.
          Yesterday, I actually read that the actress has been cast in a pilot. You may be right that she's done, although that would be crazy to me given how many times the character has already been recast (especially if they recast her in the future! )

Onto the bane of my existence...I mean Lee!

First of all, it's hard not to hate Sofia after this episode. No matter what anyone thinks of Lee, smashing her hand with a hammer was vile, ruthless and irredeemable. There's no coming back from that. Sofia has actually become a good villain because as a viewer you want to see her get hers.
          I agree 100%! Sofia is a f****** b****! She has to go. I'm SICK of her!

As for Lee, her beef with Jim has to end at some point. This episode cemented that she still hates him (over Mario? Really?), to the point of trying to throw him under the bus to save the Narrows. And it backfired on her. I didn't enjoy what happened to her, but I would have felt more sorry for her if she didn't try to make a deal with the devil using Jim as bait. And of course, now Jim wants to come to her rescue despite of his. I don't know what to make of this relationship anymore, to be honest.
          I totally agree that her "hatred" for Jim felt a little forced. Another thing that made no sense was the fact that she ended up in the hospital. Sure, her hand was mangled, but: Falcone didn't order her to be beaten within an inch of her life so why was she bed-ridden?

I rolled my eyes when Jim was looking iinto her room, too...

Originally posted by AsteroidMike
          I'm glad Alfred told Bruce "no" at the beginning of the episode, there's no way you can be that much of a dick to your only legal guardian and think one chit-chat is gonna magically fix it.
          Yeah, but to expect Bruce to be what Alfred wants him to be felt a tiny bit one-sided at the end, at least for me. Kind of like saying, "Ok, I'm home, but only if you act like this for me." At any rate, I'm fine with it because I love their relationship. Alfred she always be there for Bruce.

Regarding Lee, or rather Morticia Adams (seriously, she looks exactly like her right down to the hairstyle)

I'm eagerly looking forward to Sofia getting put down for good, though.
          Me too! I'm hoping Leslie is out for blood once she recovers. Forget the soap opera nonsense with her laying in a hospital bed with Jim acting like a lost puppy. Get her recovered and out for blood! If they don't, then putting her in charge of The Narrows will have been for nothing.

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
          I know the Riddler/cobblepot shippers are gonna go nuts over that one scene, heh. I know ship-teasing when I see it.
          EXACTLY! That's my problem with it. The writers seemed to go to so much trouble to establish that Edward had no romantic feelings towards Oswald near the end of last season so why did they put that in there to begin with?

They had the PERFECT opportunity/storyline last season. If they have no intention of getting them together like some fans would like, they should just leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
            Yesterday, I actually read that the actress has been cast in a pilot. You may be right that she's done, although that would be crazy to me given how many times the character has already been recast (especially if they recast her in the future! )
            Yeah, she will star a new show for Fox. Apparently Gotham was an audition of sorts for her. I was excited to see her as Ivy long term, but now this whole thing will be a mess if they recast her for a 3rd time. Unless the character is written off and we only see her on the rare occasions that they bring back Peyton List to shoot an episode.

Originally posted by Aries83
            I totally agree that her "hatred" for Jim felt a little forced. Another thing that made no sense was the fact that she ended up in the hospital. Sure, her hand was mangled, but: Falcone didn't order her to be beaten within an inch of her life so why was she bed-ridden?
            I think Sofia's plan was just to crush Lee's hand and then send her out on the street like that. Unless Sofia's thugs did more to Lee and the show opted not to delve into them. Lee did look bad in the hospital, but maybe they sedated her due to the pain or whatnot.

I agree with the comment about this show's obsession with badly injured hands. Butch, Tabby and now Lee. I call it the Star Wars hand fetish.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎