No announcement yet.

Smallville's Erica Durance is coming to Supergirl, replacing [SPOILER]

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville's Erica Durance is coming to Supergirl, replacing [SPOILER]

Laura Benanti is out and Smallville's Erica Durance is in for Supergirl Season 3 as Alura.

Thoughts?

I LOVE THIS!
    I tried to get into Saving Hope given that it starred Lois Lane and Daniel Jackson. But I just couldn’t get into it.
    But her in my kind of show? Hell to the yeah!

Comment

Not so sure about that. Alura was a major player in the Supergirl show, I think its going to be jarring when Alura's character suddenly changes appearances. Are they going to give a good explanation for the actress change in-universe or?

Comment

Are they strictly going to use her as a hologram? Or are they going to find some convoluted way to have her in the present?
        Either way, WELCOME BACK!!! Erica Durance!!!

Comment

To be honest, my first impression was that Craig was doing one of his trademark April 1st jokes. I never though I'd see one of Smallville's main actors on a Berlanti-verse show.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
            To be honest, my first impression was that Craig was doing one of his trademark April 1st jokes. I never though I'd see one of Smallville's main actors on a Berlanti-verse show.
            that would be logical if it wasn't 4 months ago. Now it could get Tom Welling, Michael Rosebuam, Allison Mack, and Kristen Kruek, we would probably be all set.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
              Not so sure about that. Alura was a major player in the Supergirl show, I think its going to be jarring when Alura's character suddenly changes appearances. Are they going to give a good explanation for the actress change in-universe or?
              Go search for current pictures of both Laura and Erica, and you'll see that they actually have very similar facial structures, so it's not going to be as 'jarring' as you might think it would be, nor is any in-universe explanation really needed.

Also, Erica is actually 2 years OLDER than Laura.

Comment

Originally posted by DigificWriter
                Go search for current pictures of both Laura and Erica, and you'll see that they actually have very similar facial structures, so it's not going to be as 'jarring' as you might think it would be, nor is any in-universe explanation really needed.

Also, Erica is actually 2 years OLDER than Laura.
                Yeah, but you can tell they're two different people despite their similarities in appearance. Viewers aren't stupid, they're gonna notice.

I'm not against Erica being on the show.. in fact I always wanted her to show up on the show. I just find this casting to be a odd choice, that's all. This isn't the role I would have cast for her considering the fact that Alura had a past actress. and now I'm curious to see how they will explain away Alura's face change. plastic surgery to blend in on earth?

I was hoping that Erica would show up as Lois Lane (which is probably too much to hope for), or Lois Lane's mother. Hell I could even had settled for her being Lana Lang's mother (if Lana's parents didn't die in this universe).

Comment

Yeah, but you can tell they're two different people despite their similarities in appearance. Viewers aren't stupid, they're gonna notice.

I was hoping that Erica would show up as Lois Lane (which is probably too much to hope for), or Lois Lane's mother. Hell I could even had settled for her being Lana Lang's mother (if Lana's parents didn't die in this universe).
                  Yes, it would have been my hope beyond hopes that she and Tom Welling reprise their Smallville roles as a 1 time thing and are somehow dropped into Supergirl's world for 1 or 2 episode appearance. Obviously as an older Lois & Clark but man I'd love to see the banter & chemistry they had on camera as well as 1 more Lois Lane arm punch.. I realize its too much to ask for since it would be a major distraction and doubt we'd ever see Tom want to reprise Clark Kent.

Comment

I'm not against Erica being on the show.. in fact I always wanted her to show up on the show. I just find this casting to be a odd choice, that's all. This isn't the role I would have cast for her considering the fact that Alura had a past actress. and now I'm curious to see how they will explain away Alura's face change. plastic surgery to blend in on earth?

Yes, in a perfect world, Laura wouldn't have needed to leave and they could've potentially brought Erica in in a different role, but things are what they are, and this change, at least physically, isn't nearly as drastic as Terrance Howard to Don Cheadle and Edward Norton to Mark Ruffalo because, as noted, Erica and Laura actually look similar.

It might take an episode or two to process initially, but I have a feeling that this won't be nearly the issue you fear it will be.

Comment

Recasts are never perfect but I got used to two different Jimmy Olsens on L&C - and he was a main character!

Comment

This recasting was likely prompted, narratively, by a need to feature Alura as part of delving into the history of Odette Anabelle's Reign as well as dealing with her in the present.

Comment

I like Erica Durance a lot, but I don't understand this casting. Why is that character even all that necessary anymore? Just don't use that character for a while and give ED someone else to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                            I like Erica Durance a lot, but I don't understand this casting. Why is that character even all that necessary anymore? Just don't use that character for a while and give ED someone else to play.
                            In the post above yours, I outlined why they'd need to recast: they need the character as part of delving into Reign's history.

Comment

Originally posted by DigificWriter
                              In the post above yours, I outlined why they'd need to recast: they need the character as part of delving into Reign's history.
                              I saw your post before I made mine. My point remains the same. They could've had her play someone else, like Lara. Tell the same flashback story and just use a different Kryptonian female character.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎