X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

From CBR:

After being referred to for months as “Supernova,” Fox’s upcoming “X-Men” sequel apparently has at last settled on an official title: “X-Men: Dark Phoenix.”

The seminal 1980 Marvel Comics storyline by Chris Claremont and John Byrne, charted the fall of X-Men founding member Jean Grey, who’s driven mad by the enormous power of the cosmic entity known as the Phoenix Force, which leads her to destroy an entire planet before she ultimately sacrifices herself to save the universe. Elements of the story were adapted for a subplot in the poorly received 2006 film “X-Men: The Last Stand,” written by franchise producer Simon Kinberg, who’s writing — and possibly directing — the upcoming movie.

Although Kinberg hasn’t confirmed long-swirling rumors that the next “X-Men” film will revisit that story, he’s certainly done nothing to dismiss the notion.

“Well, I can’t comment on what we’re doing with this next ‘X-Men’ movie,” he said just last month, “but I think a way to talk about it potentially, is to talk about ‘X-Men: The Last Stand,’ and then that being a Dark Phoenix movie that we didn’t get quite right. I think of maybe a few mistakes we made in that movie — and every movie has mistakes — but the main mistake we made in that movie was taking the Dark Phoenix story, which is such a vast and profound saga, and making it the subplot of the movie as opposed to the main plot of the movie. I think if we were to make a Dark Phoenix movie in the future, it would be a Dark Phoenix movie about her struggle, and really should be the A plot and the primary of the movie.”

“Game of Thrones” actress Sophie Turner, who was introduced last year in “X-Men: Apocalypse” as a young Jean Grey, will return for the sequel, whose story Kinberg insists will be “bold and radical and expand the universe in the same way that ‘Logan’ feels bold and radical and certainly ‘Deadpool’ does as well.”

Although Kinberg has yet to be announced as its director, “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” is expected to begin filming this summer in Montreal. It’s targeted for release Nov. 2, 2018, joining an “X-Men” calendar led by director Josh Boone’s “New Mutants” (April 13) and David Leitch’s “Deadpool 2” (June 1).

Good to know we'll get a proper "Phoenix Saga"-based X-Men movie.

Given that I created this user name based off the character/ storyline, I'm hoping this movie crushes And considering the track record of this franchise, every other movie hit it out of the park. So here's hoping the track record is consistent.

Comment

Apocalypse was so horrifically bad. Don't like the casting of Sophie Turner, she is so bland. And her dumb American accent. The fact that she has red hair is the only comparison to Jean Grey.

Comment

Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy will be back for the sequel; Jessica Chastain In talks to play main villain...

https://deadline.com/2017/06/x-men-d...rg-1202113290/

Comment

EW has confirmed that mutant pop star Dazzler, who can manipulate light will appear in the film. In a deleted scene from the previous film, Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) and Scott Summers (Tye Sheridan) came across Dazzler’s album at a record store at the mall.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/23/dark-phoenix-dazzler/

Comment

Jessica Chastain has officially confirmed her role as the lead villain.

http://screenrant.com/x-men-dark-pho...ain-confirmed/

Comment

More images and details can be found here: http://ew.com/movies/xmen-dark-phoen...grey-lights-up

Comment

Okay, so Disney is buying most of 21st Century Fox. No idea how this might affect this movie. Will they shoot some additional material, to make some tie-in to the MCU or could this mean that they'll reboot the franchise after this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                  Okay, so Disney is buying most of 21st Century Fox. No idea how this might affect this movie. Will they shoot some additional material, to make some tie-in to the MCU or could this mean that they'll reboot the franchise after this one.
                  What’s going to be effected is New Mutants because they have a 3 film story arc and anything that comes out after Avengers 4/Phase 4 (Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel is the beginning).

Comment

2019 slate is when Disney and Fox has to decide if they will continue with the future X-Men properties that Fox has announced.

Though the deal has to be approved by the US Government first and it wouldn't go into effect until late 2019/early 2020 if they approve of the merger.
                    Last edited by Halberdier17; 12-14-2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Went to Fox's website and there's no trace of this movie. It isn't listed as an upcoming movie or anything.

All 20th Century Studios movies, including action, adventure, drama, comedy, and thriller!

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                        Went to Fox's website and there's no trace of this movie. It isn't listed as an upcoming movie or anything.

https://www.foxmovies.com/movies#coming-soon
                        Last I heard it was pushed back to February 2019 which was originally when New Mutants was going to be released and that movie was pushed back to summer 2019

New Mutants can't be the only release FOX has prior to August for that calendar year.

Supposedly, from what I’ve read, the movie was never featured on the website to begin with and those on the coming soon section are only the films that have officially released trailers.
                        Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-04-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Comment

For trailer #1 it looks like it'll be good but I can't ignore the elephant in the room of it also bearing a lot of similarities to The Last Stand, what with Charles making the same mistake and someone important (probably Mystique) dying by the end.

Comment

Originally posted by AsteroidMike
                              For trailer #1 it looks like it'll be good but I can't ignore the elephant in the room of it also bearing a lot of similarities to The Last Stand, what with Charles making the same mistake and someone important (probably Mystique) dying by the end.
                              Somebody didn't watch Logan, because that film telegraphed the fact that history "echoes" and some things are gping to repeat themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎