No announcement yet.

Manu Bennett on Deathstroke criticism and a possible return

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manu Bennett on Deathstroke criticism and a possible return

Just read online that Deathstroke/Manu may return to the show. I can't post the article here, but maybe GATV will write something about it? The gist of the interview is that Manu was disappointed with the direction that the "Arrow" writers were taking the character, and thought he had the right to express this disappointment. TE

"Maybe that was a bit unfortunate, because it got exacerbated by the way people would tweet it, it was like, 'How dare he bash these producers who'd given him this opportunity?' - all this sort of stuff."But I think the comments that I made had a huge resonance with most fans, who agreed that Deathstroke is meant to be this undefeatable force. We built him up to that and then I guess the next phase is what will determine what all that means."
    Last edited by evaba; 03-19-2017, 06:53 AM.

Honestly, this sounds like he's peeved that people are now calling Chase the best Arrow villain. Before that he wasn't saying anything quite so conciliatory.

Comment

Originally posted by BkWurm1
      Honestly, this sounds like he's peeved that people are now calling Chase the best Arrow villain. Before that he wasn't saying anything quite so conciliatory.
      Not sure why he would take it personally. It's the writers' fault that Slade was ultimately a disappointment as a villain and Manu's criticisms in that regard have been very accurate, actually.

Comment

He and SA were even kind of getting into it on Twitter. Manu is acting like a punk.

Comment

Can somebody explain why Manu Bennett is so mad about the picture of the DS mask on the island?

Comment

Beats me.

Comment

It looks like a case of the fandom getting way too worked up about nothing.*sigh*

Manu's tweets were signed -d.s., so it should be interpreted it as Deathstroke the fictional character shade-tweeting at GA the fictional character aka Deathstroke throwing shade at GA.

I know Manu didn't like how Slade was handled by the end, and he's largely right about that. I remember also reading that he was a bit blindsided when TPTB threw in that he "loved" Shado as a last minute motivation for his anti-Oliver gripes. TPTB don't have a leg to stand on. His S3 cameo was largely wasted ... and he got his butt handed to him by Thea and an injured Ollie. There is no universe where that was an acceptable outcome. He's Deathstroke the Terminator, not Deathstroke the-dude-who-got-his-butt-kicked-by-a-rookie-and-injured-Arrow.

Thank the gods I don't go on or use Instagram or their ilk.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                I know Manu didn't like how Slade was handled by the end, and he's largely right about that. I remember also reading that he was a bit blindsided when TPTB threw in that he "loved" Shado as a last minute motivation for his anti-Oliver gripes. TPTB don't have a leg to stand on. His S3 cameo was largely wasted ... and he got his butt handed to him by Thea and an injured Ollie. There is no universe where that was an acceptable outcome. He's Deathstroke the Terminator, not Deathstroke the-dude-who-got-his-butt-kicked-by-a-rookie-and-injured-Arrow.
                I would love it if they showed an explanation why he was "Deathstroke the-dude-who-got-his-butt-kicked-by-a-rookie-and-injured-Arrow" in season 3 and then have him return to his true self "Deathstroke, the Terminator". Of course writing that is probably a bit of a challenge.

Comment

There should be no return of Deathstroke unless they're going to explain how Slade got beaten so easily in S3. The slope for getting there storywise may be too steep for them.

In terms of series' wasted cameos, that's gotta be up near the top of the list.

They could have even made the fight a draw, as unbelievable as that would still be, if they were so determined to show that Thea was "now a badass" in S3. Maybe have Slade on the verge of finishing off Thea when Oliver and his gun keeps him in check. Maybe they could have sold it like that. No, they had to have him soundly beaten. They elevated Thea by throwing Slade under the bus.

Manu himself isn't hard up for work, and I don't think he would return to Arrow if they're not going to double down on the Terminator side of his character.

Comment

There should be no return of Deathstroke unless they're going to explain how Slade got beaten so easily in S3.
                    For me it would work if Malcom had a hold on Slade (like his family, wife and Joe and possibly other children). I mean, Malcom freed Slade to train Thea, he should have made sure Slade would not kill her. Kind of: if you kill my daughter I will kill yours. Or something like that.

The slope for getting there storywise may be too steep for them.
                    That is where it gets tricky. I have no idea how to reveal to the audience that Slade held back on purpose.

They could have even made the fight a draw, as unbelievable as that would still be, if they were so determined to show that Thea was "now a badass" in S3. Maybe have Slade on the verge of finishing off Thea when Oliver and his gun keeps him in check. Maybe they could have sold it like that. No, they had to have him soundly beaten. They elevated Thea by throwing Slade under the bus.
                    If you ask me, Thea was simply lucky. She took the gun while Slade and Oliver had to let out some of their anger at each other. If Thea had not interfered they probably would have gone for a beer once the anger wore of.

Manu himself isn't hard up for work, and I don't think he would return to Arrow if they're not going to double down on the Terminator side of his character.
                    Maybe they should take a look into the comics now and then or ask the original creator of the Slade Wilson/Deathstroke character.

Comment

Personally I never had a hard time understanding how Thea could have taken him. A year underground in solitary without being able to train on top of spending years accustomed to fighting with the mirikuru in his system, so when he's free he's weaker, rusty, and wouldn't instantly be able to adjust his fighting style back to no extra powers AND last time he knew Thea, she had zero skill so underestimating her gave her that small window to get in there and take him down. But clearly it only happened because of all the factors working against him. But they are valid factors weighing against him so there's no mystery.

Comment

Whether Thea's victory was believable or not, the end result is the same: they raised Thea's status by throwing Slade's overboard.

Thea ended up looking much better after that scene, while the death knell on Slade's coolness factor was rung. While it was great for Thea fans, it was terrible for Deathstroke fans.

We could just as easily counter Thea's luck and Slade's rustiness by bringing up Slade's extensive military training and experience -- the dude was Australian SAS -- muscle memory and an adrenaline-fueled, not-mirakuru-induced burning desire to payback Oliver as more than enough factors that should give Slade the edge. (And who's to say Slade wasn't working out within his own cell, Rocky-style, that whole time?)

Thea by the end of S4 might, just might, have been able to take on Slade on her own and make a fight of it. Thea at that point in S3? No way. That gun was a convenient plot device to try to sell us on Slade being beaten.

They might have sold me on a draw, with Thea giving it the old college try and believably failing, Oliver still putting up a fight but being hampered by injury and the need to look out for Thea, and only the gun keeping Slade from ripping the both of them to shreds. Now, that I could buy.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎