Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Sin-Eater?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watchable thanks to the action (and Cupid showing up of course since no one here cares for Carrie I will) but when one actually starts to think about deeds of the "heroes" and the morality of their actions it's just... uh. Seriously, how they've handled Malone's death and the aftermatch is really, really, really poorly executed. If the conversation between Quentin and Oliver took place after four episodes filled with angst, moral dilemmas and guilt weighting down on him it wouldn't feel like trying to get it out of the way as fast as humanly possible. Because apparently no one in the show cares about Billy, including his girlfriend. But I won't blame Felicity for that, but really poor writing/handling the outcome of this death. You simply can't put a hero in such a situation, then show zero remorse on his side, and then wrap it up five episodes later without a proper transition. All that dialogues with Frank Pike were not necessary bad, but simply put in wrong place when it comes to the timing (taking into consideration that they hardly touched it earlier). So I'm really on the fence - I'm glad they've addressed it, but why so late, and why they've barely scraped the surface?

Oliver says that he feels guilty about Billy's death. But he doesn't make me - as he viewer - feel that he feels guilty. And that's the whole problem.

So yeah, I liked seeing so much scenes with Quentin, I liked team up of Lance and Green Arrow as personally for me it's one of the best part of this universe (A Cop and A Vigilante trope is not that common, or perhaps putting so much focus on it is not so common), but at the same time morality of their actions is so questionable that I'm not feeling that I should sympathize with them here. Unfortunately Liza Warner was right about Quentin using double standards. Quentin, of all people!

The good thing in the episode was the epic team up of the three ass kicking women, and I especially liked the hinted dynamic (friendship they formed in jail?) between Cupid and China White. Liza was okay in this one, but I think China White would have more capabilities to be a leader here and more connection to the criminal underworld as well. Pity that the villainesses were sidelined though. I hope that China White didn't die in the end? D: I want to see her again.

Poor Rene was shot with Cupid's arrow - I wonder if it's the same leg Ollie had shot him.

Liked China's "Anything for a friend" what brought fond memories of season 1 (she said that to Moira Queen), Cupid retriving the arrows (btw. it's impossible to pull an arrow with one hand, you need to hold the target... or dead body in that case) and observing that they are expensive (yes, they are!), Thea and Oliver moments (although the fact that after doing something like this Thea thinks that the outcome could be different was, as Cupid would say, stupid), the mention of Moira and few other things (flashbacks were okay). The whole theme with sineater repeated 20 times in various configurations got exhausting after a while.

They've really should bring back Doctor Pressnall, because all of those people have serious problems they could have discuss on a therapy...

I would mark the episode good in category watchable, rather average when it comes to sense & logic & cohesion (then again at least it tried to repair some neglecting made earlier), add two points for Cupid and China White and my final mark will land somewhere between six or seven heartshaped arrowheads out of ten.

Yeah, I really like Carrie, but I don't force anyone to like her too. Not everyone has to.

Comment

Oliver as the Mayor told the Police chief about the cover up so the police chief had to be the one to who leaked it to the press. The next 2 weeks will be interesting to see how they handle things.

Comment

Thea would be one of the characters that would benefit from a subplot that is beyond just wearing a mask. They could risk treading over familiar turf as Thea has already gone to the dark side with her post-Pit bloodlust, but I'd be open to seeing Thea the civilian struggling to keep her Machiavellian Moira DNA at bay. And it looks like Quentin should stick around because if Oliver's impeachment goes through ... guess who's Mayor of Star City in S6? If he manages to steer clear of the Billy scandal, we could be calling Quentin Mr. Mayor soon enough.

The action scenes were good, I didn't mind the trio of baddies in spite of the Lost Treasure of Tobias subplot. But I do feel bad for China White. She's one of Arrow longtime foes and they never seem to give her a proper showcase. Even here she's just one of the gang. They should have kept her as a triad boss the whole time, where she could be a constant thorn in Team Arrow's side over the seasons.

Going off topic, I can no longer take the IGN site reviews seriously. I found this week's Arrow about as good as Flash's -- they'd both get 7's. But IGN continuously undercuts Arrow even when they put out decent eps like this one, while the crappy Flash eps get top marks from them. They don't even try to hide their bias. There may have been a brief time (S1 to first half of S2) when Flash was superior to its TV cousins -- but I feel that era is behind them sadly.

As of this year, I don't think any of the Berlantiverse series are stand outs, they regularly occupy the mushy middle in terms of quality.

This week's Flash and Arrow were decent eps., arguably the "best" of the bunch this week. SG was a Valentine's ep so the melodrama was expected, and they milked it for all its worth.

LoT's was fun, though I'd agree with Nate that they all looked like Renaissance Fair cosplayers. Fun ep -- but the history buff in me cringes at the Medieval Times gear they were playing around in. Their armour should look closer to what we see in Vikings, but I think the god of budgetary constraints weighed in this time.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
          Thea would be one of the characters that would benefit from a subplot that is beyond just wearing a mask. They could risk treading over familiar turf as Thea has already gone to the dark side with her post-Pit bloodlust, but I'd be open to seeing Thea the civilian struggling to keep her Machiavellian Moira DNA at bay. And it looks like Quentin should stick around because if Oliver's impeachment goes through ... guess who's Mayor of Star City in S6? If he manages to steer clear of the Billy scandal, we could be calling Quentin Mr. Mayor soon enough.
          Yeah, the observation Oliver made about her doing what Mom would do was interesting one, and promising. I don't mind Thea not be a masked hero right now. The show regained some balance thanks to that.

Originally posted by President_Luthor
          The action scenes were good, I didn't mind the trio of baddies in spite of the Lost Treasure of Tobias subplot. But I do feel bad for China White. She's one of Arrow longtime foes and they never seem to give her a proper showcase. Even here she's just one of the gang. They should have kept her as a triad boss the whole time, where she could be a constant thorn in Team Arrow's side over the seasons.
          I saw zero logic in her murdering random Triad guys while she should just take over the leadership of the organization to fill the void. I really hope she was not shot down by Pike. I think they could have put more a little more focus on the villainesses.

Also Ollie seems to be able to see the future as Liza Warner didn't reveal her Great Plan to take over the city under the scene on the cementary (and yet Ollie said something about them buying guns to killing everyone on their way). Again, if it was about China White he might suspect that she would want to rebuild the criminal underground. Cupid is unpredictable, so it was impossible to guess her agenda. But Liza was after money in the first place, so the logical guess would be that they would indeed disappear in thin air and go to some warm, peaceful island country to sunbathe and sip drinks.

Btw. Because I've been watching a lot of "Supernatural" I've got a stupid vision when I've seen that cementary. Winchester brothers (seen in some far distance) digging up bones to salt them and burn to get rid of some vengeful spirit. Meanwhile all the hell breaks lose with China White, Cupid and Liza Warner fighting with Team Arrow. Hired guns appear. Then the police. Winchesters continue digging.

Sam: "It's getting tense here. We stay or we run?"
          Dean: "Don't pay attention, Sammy, and keep digging."

Need to catch up with other Flarrow shows. Hope Flash improved since 3x10 (it was boring ). Looking forward to LOT since Rip is back as I've heard (brainwashed but still).

Edit:

Originally posted by acer15
          Oliver as the Mayor told the Police chief about the cover up so the police chief had to be the one to who leaked it to the press. The next 2 weeks will be interesting to see how they handle things.
          You set me thinking. Need to watch this scene again.
          Last edited by Amarice; 02-24-2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Need to catch up with other Flarrow shows. Hope Flash improved since 3x10 (it was boring ). Looking forward to LOT since Rip is back as I've heard (brainwashed but still).
            The return of Rip has been a treat. I'm really loving how they've been using him. His first episode back is nothing like I was expecting. But then LoT has been good like that this year. The Legion of Doom has also been so much more fun than I could have imagined. LoT is pretty much the show that least disappoints this year. I'm repeatedly amazed at how well the whole cast is used. They keep finding new and unexpected pairings that just work. I'm loving the combo of Mick and the Professor. Actually Mick plus anyone is usually a great combo lol.

Comment

Well that was dull.

Is China White dead? Hope not, she was one of the few saving graces about this episode.

Am I supposed to care that Oliver may not be mayor for much longer? Because most of this season has shown how inept he is at it and I don't think he has cared much about it since becoming mayor.

Comment

Originally posted by Quark
                Is China White dead? Hope not, she was one of the few saving graces about this episode.
                I'm also wondering about China White's fate. It seems that she disappeared in thin air because I haven't seen her arrested alongside Cupid and Liza, and there was also no sign of the body. I hope that it was just crappy editing. (Or she pretended to be dead and then, when everyone turned back, escaped she was shot, but she's a tough woman, so she would manage, lol.)

It would be really disappointing if they've brought her back after over two years only to kill her off in a stupid way.

Comment

Another good one.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎